A Day Trip to Kilmarnock

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
wmh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: A Day Trip to Kilmarnock

Post by wmh »

I remember the Plaza well Susan , it was the best cinema in the town, directly behind Marks & Spencers, you could walk right through the car park at rear and up the steps to Kilmarnock Academy. The car showroom was called Princes street motors they were the Vauxhall Bedford main agents in the town. There was another picture house in the town called the George in West George Street , just round from the SMT bus garage as afore mentioned , it later became a bingo hall then a night club, its been shut for years now just a ruin.

wmh.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Thanks for the photos Susan.
The pub "o'shannons" shown next to the "ABC" I think has been built on the site of the other picture house I mentioned which I think was the called "Empire" cinema. If you follow the photo round to the "royal Blossom" that is where Penny's "Moka" cafe was.
I was in all of them at various times including the "George" and the "Plazza"

The "Palace Theatre" is still in very active use, in fact I am going to a show there this afternoon, which is being produced by the summer stage school which my two Granddaughters have been attending. I'm looking forward to seeing them dancing and singing.
Incidentally this is a big year for the "Palace Theatre" with I believe special shows taking place celebrating it being 150 years in existence, this year.

Just noticed the old photo shows the church and spire on the corner of St. Marnock Street' I think it was called St Marnocks church but I couldn't be sure about that. I do remember it being painted sort of battleship grey. it has given way to modern-ish shops.
Big Sanny
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Big Sanny »

Sorry to go back to the postings re."Killie Baths" but I,ve only just got round to reading them! Hughie,s description is exactly how I remember it.
We used to cycle there once a week, in the summer months on our "bone shaker", Barras Bikes( none of your carbon fibre stuff then). There would be a whole gang of us from Hawthorn Drive,the youngest would be about 8 and the oldest 11/12.We would wend our way through Kilwinning(no bypass in those days),Irvine Dreghorn,Crosshouse and on into Kilmarnock. Nothing as fancy as gears on our bikes,it was down to pure muscle power!! Chris Hoy would have been proud of us!!
All that way for just 45 minutes in the water,or if you were "flush" you would come out and stand out side shivering in your swimming gear waiting to pay to go in for a second session!!! Swimming over, then a bag of chips to boost the "carbos" for the ride home.
No problems with traffic then, not like today!! Still cycling today 50 + years on but the bike is lighter and the roads are a helluva lot busier!!!
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Sanny, I remember standing outside in wet swimming gear with a towel wrapped around my shoulders shivering like a jelly waiting to get back in for the next session. A faint memory about loving when the ticket lady had a wee sign up saying 'no sessions' which meant it wasnt busy enough to force sessions and we got in for as long as we wanted. Imagine letting 8 year olds go on the bus all the way to Kilmarnock and go swimming without any adult supervision these days!

Meg
Big Sanny
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Big Sanny »

Happy days and the cold never did us any harm either!!!
An 8 year old on a bus on their own today would be a sure route to a visit from social services!!!
I can remember being put on a train at Glasgow Central, aged 6 with my brother aged 8 to travel unaccompanied to Manchester where we we were met on the platform by our grandmother.Do you think our mother wanted to be rid of us!!
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Re the cinemas, the building at 24 Titchfield Street has variously been the ABC, The King's Theatre and the Regal Cinema.

It was the Regal or certainly referred to as the Regal in June 1963 when I saw 'The Maniac' and 'The Damned' one of which, I think the latter, starred Donald Pleasence who was either a naturally scary man or a first class actor in that role.

http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/ref_no/2289
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
wmh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wmh »

Penny,
there was also a cinema called the Empire which sat next door to the ABC, looking at the front doors it was on its left hand side. I was never in it but I can recall it being demolished and they built a modern building I think it was a bookies and a bar on the bottom level, but the second floor was a Chinese restaurant the biggest one I had ever seen . might still be a Chinese. I seem to recall either the Empire or the ABC was set on fire at sometime. I remember many years ago my dad told me that there was a playhouse or theatre of some sort at the top of John Finnie street which became the Sandriane Bar , it burnt down years ago but the front of the building was salvaged and within the last year has been refurbished, I think possibly offices ?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

WMH,

This will be the one you're thinking of:

http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/scotl ... mpire.html
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Big Sanny wrote:Sorry to go back to the postings re."Killie Baths" but I,ve only just got round to reading them! Hughie,s description is exactly how I remember it.
We used to cycle there once a week, in the summer months on our "bone shaker", Barras Bikes( none of your carbon fibre stuff then). There would be a whole gang of us from Hawthorn Drive,the youngest would be about 8 and the oldest 11/12.We would wend our way through Kilwinning(no bypass in those days),Irvine Dreghorn,Crosshouse and on into Kilmarnock. Nothing as fancy as gears on our bikes,it was down to pure muscle power!! Chris Hoy would have been proud of us!!
All that way for just 45 minutes in the water,or if you were "flush" you would come out and stand out side shivering in your swimming gear waiting to pay to go in for a second session!!! Swimming over, then a bag of chips to boost the "carbos" for the ride home.
No problems with traffic then, not like today!! Still cycling today 50 + years on but the bike is lighter and the roads are a helluva lot busier!!!
Thanks for that great post big Sanny :good:
sally40bags
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sally40bags »

Hi Brian, long time no speak hope you and the family are well. Thanks for telling me about the "Threetowners" it's a great site brings back lots of memories. Enjoyed reading your Kilmarnock post...

Sandra
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

meekan wrote:The old photo shows the church and spire on the corner of St. Marnock Street . It has given way to modern-ish shops.
The modern shop on the corner of St Marnock Street was originally built as a department store for the Co-op, selling everything except food I think. I remember it opening in the early seventies, operating on multiple floors. I don't remember ever being conscious of the church that came before it though, or of any Co-op shop being around before that was built; though I see there was a grocery of theirs listed at 56 Portland Street .

But of course the most famous department store in Kilmarnock was Lauder's Emporium, a bit further up the street on that side at Nos 45-55 King Street; here's how it looked:

No trip to Kilmarnock when I was young was complete without a visit there; it had a slightly old-fashioned air compared with the Glasgow department stores. Most memorable feature was its lift, which was in the middle of the shop with the stairs surrounding it; and as the lift cage had latticed metal sides, you had a partial view of the store as you rose.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wmh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wmh »

That lift took you right to the tearoom on the top floor, good fruit scones with jam, I remember.

wmh