Shockwave

Computer questions and any issues you have with these forums.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Shockwave

Post by morag »

I'm having a heck of a time with pop ups saying unresponsive plug in Shockwave flash giving me options like continue, stop, don't ask me this again..I've tried all three but minutes later Bingo..there it is again. It freezes up my pc. Do I need Shockwave? I just usually do email 3T's, FB and Brit newspapers...can I be rid of this annoyance?
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Shockwave

Post by Retsum »

Flash Player (Shockwave) is one of those applications that are used by other programs and many websites, so you probably do need it. I Googled it and found many reports of it crashing Google Chrome. There are also a number of applications offering to solve Flash Player problems - some of them free. However I have no experience of using any of these so I cannot suggest one of them.
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

As Retsum rightly says, Shockwave/Flash is commonly used as a plug-in to your web browser and is a feature that is often required by web sites that you may want to visit, so its preferable to have it installed (and up to date - to avoid any security risks that have arisen from earlier versions).

Sometimes, there are compatibility issues with updates on specific browsers. In order to advise on your situation, you have to let us know which browser you are using. Is it Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, or a less common program? Also, knowing the version of your browser may shed light on the problem. You can usually determine which version you are using from the Help menu (choose the 'About' option).
I'm still saving up for a signature.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I use Firefox. This is a recent development but I haven't changed anything...as far as I know. . .
C.S.Lewis
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

I suggest that you use a manual install for the Flash software using the instructions at this link for Firefox.
I'm still saving up for a signature.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Thank you George, hopeful that it worked although, ironically, the pop up prevented it a few times. But not all the steps showed up..I did get a message all the files had downloaded. I should go back to an abacus and scratchings in the dirt, cave painting..chasing wooly mammoths..maybe an abacus is too advanced. I'll let you know if the download worked.
Thank you too, Retsum!
C.S.Lewis
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I'll try again tomorrow.. :(
C.S.Lewis