Rice and Lentil Cake

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Rice and Lentil Cake

Post by Retsum »

My mother used to make this when I was a youngster and I remember it tasted delicious but I was too young to bother about how it was made. My wife says she has never heard of it. I imagine the rice and lentils would need to be boiled up separately to the point where they were soft, and then drained and mixed. My mother put the mix in a loaf tin and placed a rigid cover over the mixture. I think weights were then added to compress the mixture. I think it was then left for a day or more. When it came out of the tin it was like a loaf and she sliced it and fried it. As I said I remember it as very tasty. Before I start experimenting, I wondered if any of you make it and if so, what is your recipe?
Richard

Re: Rice and Lentil Cake

Post by Richard »

Retsum:
I have never tried making this before nor would I know where to begin, but I do know that there are lots of
modern variations on how you remember your mother making it due to the growing popularity of vegetarian
dishes from around the world.
Chances are, no matter how much you "experiment", you'll never get it as good as your mothers.
They were a generation that had to be skilled in producing something out of nothing.
With each generation since...the interest has become less & less. Those skills were passed on less & less and
now we have a largely wasteful, throw-away, society who expect everything handed to them on a plate.
I've checked all my traditional recipe books, to see if there is anything I could offer to help, but nothing.
Maybe someone who has experience of making it will come forward ?
Good luck.