Stevenston 1970

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
sally40bags
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Stevenston 1970

Post by sally40bags »

This was taken on Lundholm Road in 1970 and is a reminder of when the ICI was a big part of Stevenston. In the picture is me, family friend Mrs Blyth and our new born son Steven. Sandra (Ferguson)
Attachments
scan005.jpg
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Stevenston 1970

Post by Vivc113 »

I am wondering if you would have known my grandparents - the Johnstons, from Caledonia Road??
Old grandad worked in the ICI for years? William Johnston?? ( an excellent painter )

I would have been around 3 at the time YOUR pic has been taken?!
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
sally40bags
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sally40bags »

I do remember the name, Is your mum called Anne?
My dad also worked in the ICI for many years (Silicones and Blasting)
I was living in Edinburgh when this photo was taken, but it brings back so many memories of when I used to live in Misk Knowes.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

sally40bags wrote:I do remember the name, Is your mum called Anne?
My dad also worked in the ICI for many years (Silicones and Blasting)
I was living in Edinburgh when this photo was taken, but it brings back so many memories of when I used to live in Misk Knowes.

Nope. Mum's name is Mary !! Grandparents were William and Elizabeth (Bessie) Johnston - both died 1987. My old gran was fond of making cakes with icing and covering them up in the old fashioned way.... my friend and I used to lift up the covers and eat all the cakes out of desperation.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Hi Sandra, welcome to the 3t's. If I remember correctly, you live just past past Martins shop in Misk Knows. I used to cut about with Jim and Terry. I remember my dad talking fondly of " sporty". :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
sally40bags
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sally40bags »

Hi little plum, sorry I can't believe I missed your post. Forgot Bunty's shop had been called Martins. Auld age haha
How time flies it's 43 years since our Terry was killed on the waltzer at Stevenston shore, still think of him all the time and wonder what his life would have been like. He was always the life and soul of the house, mum & dad were never the same after he died. Been doing the family tree but as far as I can see it was only my pampa and dad that was called "sporty". Any idea why?
Sandra
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

Willie Martin who had the shop was my uncle. He was a doo man as was sporty Ferguson as was myself I remember Sporty he was a very jovial character. Very well liked and very friendly to-wards me as he knew my mum who was brought up in the Ardeer Square. How he got the name I don't know but a lovely person.
sally40bags
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sally40bags »

Thanks for that, I loved the bones of my pampa, even although he only had one tooth haha.
He loved his doo's I remember when I was wee he would take me into the garden to wait for them to come back from racing no doubt you and your uncle were like him by naming all the doo's. He called one after me, or maybe I was called after the do.lol Wish I had been able to make the reunion, maybe it could have found out more about him and his family.
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

Aye Sally I remember he only had the one tooth . Sally are you red haired?
sally40bags
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sally40bags »

I am, but now it comes from a bottle. Lol. Would I know you? I was born in 1948
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

Same age as me but you would came up from Ardeer primary when I was at the higher grade and that stupid qualifying exam dispersed us all. I was in the same class as Betty Steele sadly deceased. Kind of remember you with that red hair. lol Billy
sally40bags
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sally40bags »

Billy I went to St John's. But my two pals at that time Margaret McCandless and Mary Beattie went to Ardeer primary then the higher grade. Sad how many of our age group have passed away. Billy what's your surname?
Sandra