Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
30 APRIL 1958

DEATH – McATEER

At 25 Churchill Drive, Ardrossan, on 25 April, 1958, Bridget McAteer.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

EVENING TIMES
30 APRIL 1968

MUM OF HEARTBREAK MAN WOULD LIKE HIM TO GO TO AUSTRALIA

Mrs Jessie Wallace, who cannot afford the fare home from Australia to Ardrossan, wants to persuade her son Charles to go to Australia to start a new life.

Last week Charles’s 22-yer-old wife Helen was found murdered on the hills near West Kilbride, Ayrshire.

Charles phoned his mother and asked her to return to Scotland to help him and his three young children. She would have left at once but she had not the money for the fare.

Mrs Wallace, (70), said in Perth –

“It’s impossible for me to raise the fare. I came to Australia 18 months ago on an assisted passage. If I went back, I would have to repay my fare out here as well as paying my way home again.

“I haven’t been able to sleep since I found out about the shocking thing that happened to Helen,
” Mrs Wallace said.

“I want to get back to my son. He needs me. Sure, I can look after his three wee children. I’ve cared for six of my own, haven’t I.”

But there is a chance for Mrs Wallace. An Australian immigration official said today that the department was considering her case in the hope that she would be able to leave Australia without repaying the cost of her assisted passage to Australia.

SHORT HOLIDAY

Mrs Wallace lives in Inglewood, a suburb of Perth, Western Australia.

She is in Melbourne for a short holiday with another son, James, and his wife Pearl, at their suburb Caulfield flat.

She said Charles had pleaded –

“Come home Mum, we need you desperately. If God allowed, I’d be home the minute I could. I wouldn’t even go to Perth to pack my bags,” she declared.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

THE AGE – MELBOURNE
1 MAY 1968

SCOTS MOTHER WANTS TO GO TO GRIEVING SON

In a Glasgow suburb a sorrowing man is waiting to hear whether his mother, Mrs Jessie Wallace, will be able to join him from Melbourne to look after his motherless children.

Mr Charles Carson, of Ardrossan, told “The Age” last night of the collapse of his world with the death of his wife, Helen, last week.

Police believe she was murdered and a young man has been arrested in connection with her death.

Mr Carson is waiting to hear from the Immigration Department whether his mother, Mrs Jessie Wallace, who is staying in Melbourne will be able to go back to Scotland without refunding the balance of her assisted passage.

“I can’t even begin to think about the future yet, but all I want will be for the children,” Mr Carson said.

“If my mother comes over we will talk about taking the children out to Australia where they would be able to have a clean break, and a great start in life.”

On Sunday night Mr Carson rang his mother and asked her to come back to look after his three children, Alan, (4); Colin, (2); and Brian, (1).

His mother, Mrs Wallace, (70), a widow, after remarrying, now lives in the Perth suburb of Inglewood. She came from Scotland 18 months ago.

Last night she was speaking from the home of her son, Mr James Carson, in Balaclava Road, Caulfield, where she is holidaying.

“Tell Charlie when you speak to him that his mother will be over as soon as possible,” she said.

“I want to be with him and then take him and the children back with me to Australia so they can have a new chance in life.”
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

EVENING TIMES
1 MAY 1968

AUSSIE PAYS SCOTS WIDOW’S FARE HOME

A Melbourne business man has offered to pay the air fare for a Scottish widow who wants to return to Scotland to care for the children of her murdered daughter-in-law.

And Australia has waived the repayment of her assisted passage.

The business man, who wants to remain anonymous, will give 70-year-old Mrs Jessie Wallace £285 for the fare.

Mrs Wallace’s 25-year-old son, Mr Charles Carson, of Ardrossan, Ayrshire, telephoned her from Scotland on Sunday night pleading with her to return after the murder of his young wife, Helen.

Mrs Wallace said Charles had asked her to come home to look after his three children, Alan, (4); Colin, (2); and Brian, (1).

She said that whoever had offered to pay her fare “had the thanks of a deeply grateful mother, a million times.”
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
2 MAY 1914

THE STEAMER INISHOWEN HEAD DELAYED AT ARDROSSAN HARBOUR

The Head Line steamer INISHOWEN HEAD, which was held up at Ardrossan Harbour on Thursday through the refusal of members of the union to sign on along with men procured by the Shipping Federation Limited, sailed for Montreal on Friday morning at one o’clock.

The company’s superintendent arrived at the port at midnight on Thursday, bringing with him a crew supplied by the Shipping Federation in Glasgow, and this enabled the vessel to sail.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

EVENING TIMES
2 MAY 1968

WIDOW FLYING HOME

Mrs Jessie Wallace will fly from Melbourne, Australia, to Glasgow, to join her widower son, Mr Charles Carson, at Ardrossan, Ayrshire.

Mr Carson’s wife, Helen was recently murdered, and he made a telephone plea to his mother – a widow who remarried – to return from Australia to take care of his three young children.

Mrs Wallace will leave Sydney on a Qantas plane scheduled to reach London at 8.15 a.m. on Saturday. She will then fly to Glasgow.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
May 2, 1947

Ardrossan Man's Death

Although he had been in ill-health for number of years, the passing of "Willie" Marroni, Ardrossan, came as a surprise to many when it became known last Sunday.

Deceased came to Ardrossan from Italy many years ago, but he had been so long in the town that he was almost recognised as a native. During that time he built up a substantial business in the ice cream and confectionary trade not only in his shop in Glasgow Street, but also at kiosks on the Shore. There, due to his downright honest manner, he became a general favourite. He is survived by his widow and family to whom our sympathy goes in their sad bereavement.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
3 MAY 1890

MASONIC – CONSECRATION OF NEW R.A. CHAPTER, SALTCOATS AND ARDROSSAN, No. 223

A new chapter and installation of office-bearers took place in the lodge-room, Princes Lane, Ardrossan.

The ceremony was performed by a deputation from the Supreme Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Scotland according to charter granted.

The Grand Chapter having been announced and admitted, Companion Crichton, Consecrating Officer, proceeded with the ceremony.

Thereafter dinner was served, Companion Phillips, Glasgow, presiding.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
4 MAY 1880

ARDROSSAN – FATAL RESULT OF AN ACCIDENT

We regret to announce that Mr William Carson, foreman of the workmen at the Belfast steamer, has died from the injuries he received on Friday morning through a railway truck passing over him.

Deceased, who was much respected, had been about 20 years in the position of foreman, and leaves a widow and family.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
5 MAY 1911

NORTH AYRSHIRE LICENSING COURT

The adjourned sitting of the Licensing Court for the Northern District of Ayrshire was held yesterday at Kilwinning – Mr W. D. Russell of Maulside, Dalry, in the chair.

Robert Gilchrist, Parkhead, Glasgow, and Ernest Thomson, accountant, Glasgow, trustee acting under trust deed, applied for a licensed grocer’s certificate at 23 Glasgow Street, Ardrossan. Daniel Macara, Ardrossan, who held the licence for the premises, applied for a new certificate for a grocer’s shop at 182 Glasgow Street, Ardrossan.

It was stated that in the event of the Bench granting the licence to Gilchrist the application by Thomson would be withdrawn.

By 6 votes to 4 it was agreed to refuse the licence at 23 Glasgow Street, Ardrossan, to Gilchrist, and the voting was similar when it was agreed to refuse that licence to Thomson.

In the case of Macara, a new certificate was granted for grocer’s premises at 182 Glasgow Street, Ardrossan.

An application by William Wylie, Vernon Street, Saltcoats, for a new certificate for a public-house at 205 Glasgow Street, Ardrossan, was refused.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
5 MAY 1911

LOCK-OUT AT ARDROSSAN HARBOUR

The lock-out at Ardrossan Harbour still continues and a squad of men from Glasgow started work yesterday morning.

The lock-out men assert that their side of the dispute has not been fairly stated. They maintain that the agreement between them and the Harbour Company was first broken by the company, and they say they never asked for extra payment when only a small portion of a cargo of ore was frozen. They insist, however, on their demand for a penny per ton extra for discharging dusty ore, on the ground that it is deleterious to health.

The Harbour Company offer a halfpenny extra over the ordinary rate.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
5 MAY 1913

ARDROSSAN DOCKERS AND MESSRS NOBEL’S FACTORY WORKERS

On Saturday evening a meeting of Ardrossan Dockers and workers of Messrs Nobel’s factory was held in the Town Hall, Saltcoats, when Mr McLeish presided over an audience numbering over 700.

Captain Tupper, of Bristol, in addressing the meeting, referred to the statement being made by many people that there was going to be a general strike this year. He knew nothing about it, and had such a step been contemplated he would have been informed.

Mr Scott, Ardrossan, announced that another conference had been arranged with Nobel’s Company on the wages question on Tuesday, when it was the intention of the men’s representatives to adhere to their original demands.

The meeting unanimously adopted a resolution in favour of becoming affiliated with the Transport Workers’ Federation and of refusing to recognise any union not so affiliated.