Saltcoats - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Saltcoats - On This Day In History

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
25 JUNE 1872

Sir,

BATHING AT THE COAST

The melancholy occurrence reported in Friday’s Herald, of the drowning of Mr Sibbald at Saltcoats, ought to be a lesson to the authorities at all our watering places, and teach them their duty in regard to rendering our bathing places as safe as possible.

The spot where the above sad event happened is a favourite one with bathers who visit Saltcoats, and who don’t know its dangers.

Happening to stay a short time in Saltcoats, in September last, I was in the habit of bathing every morning at or near the spot alluded to. One morning, however, as I was on the point of plunging in, I saw a residenter in the village hastily making his way towards me, and making signs for me to stay for his coming. I did so, and he warned me that it was a most dangerous place to bathe, that several cases of drowning had taken place at the very spot, and that even expert swimmers in certain states of the tide had little or no chance.

Now, here is as convenient looking a bathing place as any in the locality with a bad repute as being dangerous in the extreme, and yet there is neither a notice nor warning of any kind to prevent bathers from going in. I cannot say for certainty whether the reputation of the place is deserved or not, for after that morning I gave it a wide berth, but the natives most thoroughly believe it to be dangerous.

If the authorities at our watering places will not be at the trouble or expense of making any provision for rendering bathing decent and comfortable further than what nature provides, I think the best thing they can do is to warn any person against going into the water, at places known to be dangerous.

I am etc.,
J.Y.M.
132 Great Hamilton Street,
GLASGOW.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GREENOCK ADVERTISER
26 JUNE 1849

DEATH

Mrs Samuel Farrow, widow of Captain Samuel Farrow, Saltcoats, died at 44 West Blackhall Street, Greenock, on 24 June, 1849.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
26 JUNE 1876

THE ACADEMY

The directors of Saltcoats Academy have appointed Mr Charles Duguid, M.A., of Edinburgh University, to the rectorship.

Mr Duguid will be aided by a lady superintendent and an efficient staff of assistants, so that high class teaching will now receive some attention in the district.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
27 JUNE 1870

ATTEMPTED SUICIDE

A young woman named ANN SALTCOATS attempted to commit suicide on Saturday night, by leaping into the River Clyde at Glasgow. Police Constable Murray, having noticed the woman plunge into the stream, ran to the banks. Having observed her sink several times he threw off his coats, and followed her into the water, succeeding in rescuing her at risk of his own life.

The woman, when taken to the Central Police Office, showed symptoms of great weakness; and on the recommendation of Dr. McGill she was conveyed to the Poorhouse.

The cause of the attempt upon her life by the young woman is believed to have been destitution.

[I have doubled-checked that Saltcoats is the the surname provided in this article, although I have to think that Ann may have had a connection with the town rather than have it as a surname.]
Last edited by Penny Tray on Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
27 JUNE 1874

SALTCOATS MISSION COAST HOME

This excellent institution, which started originally with accommodation for six inmates, has just received another large addition, and is now capable of accommodating about 80 inmates.

The new building is 55 feet long, 30 broad, and about 22 feet high, affording sleeping accommodation for 22 persons.

Under the admirable management of Mr Smith, missionary, and Mr Bryden, Saltcoats, the home has conferred immense benefits on many invalids who were unable to provide themselves with a change of air; and this new addition will enable these gentlemen still further to extend their philanthropic efforts.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
27 JUNE 1876

SALTCOATS NORTH ESTABLISHED CHURCH

The Rev. W. R. Primrose, who was recently inducted to this church was introduced on Sunday last by the Rev. W. T. Stevenson, Rutherglen, who preached in the forenoon from Mart ix. 7 – “This is my beloved Son, hear Him.”

At the close of an appropriate discourse the reverend gentleman bespoke for the pastor-elect a hearty congregation in all the schemes of usefulness he might propose.

The Rev. W. R. Primrose preached in the afternoon, taking as his text JOHN viii. 54, and delivered and appropriate and attractive sermon.

The evening services were again conducted by the Rev. Mr Stevenson.

The various diets of worship were well attended, and liberal collections were made on behalf of the congregation.
Last edited by Penny Tray on Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
27 JUNE 1878

DEATH

REID: At East Lynne Cottage, Eglinton Street, Saltcoats, on the 25th instant, Captain Alexander Reid, barque “SEVILLE.”
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

CASUALTY OF WAR
28 JUNE 1915

Died on service, Private GEORGE PROUDFOOT, 7th Battalion Cameronians – Theatre of war, Gallipoli – son of William Proudfoot, late of Sidney Street, Saltcoats.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
28 JUNE 1937

INDEPENDENT LABOUR PARTY

Mr Campbell Stephen, M.P., and Mr George Buchanan, M.P., were among the speakers at the Keir Hardie demonstration organised by the Ayrshire Federation of the I.L.P. on the Braes, Saltcoats, on Saturday.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
29 JUNE 1894

SALTCOATS - PROPOSED EXTENSIVE ALTERATIONS AT THE RAILWAY STATION

The Glasgow & South-Western Railway have submitted to the Commissioners plans showing alterations about to be made at the station.

The gaswork bridge is to be widened considerably, and the roads to Vernon Street and Manse Street shut up.

A new road is to be made from the gaswork bridge with a curve to Chapel Brae, nearly opposite the West U.P. Church. This will involve the clearing away of all the houses on the north of Vernon Street and the east side of Chapel Brae. A portion of the ground occupied by these houses will be thrown into Vernon Street, which will thus be considerably improved.

The present goods shed will be removed, and a new one erected nearer the booking-office. A new loading-place will be made running from the present goods entrance gate towards the West U.P. Church.

A new access is to be made from the gasworks bridge to the north side of the departure platform.
The work for this has already commenced, and it will be a great convenience to summer visitors and residents.

The Commissioners and the directors of the gas company have expressed their approval of the proposed alternations, which will be commenced at once.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
30 JUNE 1876

DEATH

At 2 St. Marnock Buildings, Saltcoats, on the 26th instant, Captain Andrew Ritchie, aged 39 years.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

GLASGOW HERALD
30 JUNE 1877

DEATH

At Skelmorlie, on the 28th instant, George Dunlop of Saltcoats, in his 77th year.