Saltcoats - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Saltcoats - On This Day In History

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
March 10, 1950

Popular Chemist's Death

Provost John Beggs, Ardrossan, ex-Provost James Reid, J.P., Saltcoats, members of the medical profession and a large number of business and personal friends attended the funeral of Peter Kennedy ('Kenny') Macpherson, M.P.S., which took place to Ardrossan Cemetery on Monday.

His death which occurred at his home at 5 Sidney Street, Saltcoats, last Friday night came as a shock to his many acquaintances. Formerly the popular manager of the Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Drug Department at Ardrossan, he had recently purchased and taken over a private chemist's business in Hamilton Street, Saltcoats, but a short time afterwards he was the victim of a nervous disorder and entered a nursing home from which he was discharged on Wednesday of last week.

It was on returning to his home after visiting his shop that he was seized with the illness which proved fatal and cut off a promising career at the early age of 38. The deceased was for some time a member of the Board of Management of Ardrossan Cooperative Society, Ltd. He is succeeded by his widow and three children to whom the deepest sympathy of the community will be extended.
Mrs Macpherson.jpg
Mrs Macpherson.jpg (10.29 KiB) Viewed 5084 times
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

I Remember Mrs.MacPherson well. I didn't know however that she had been widowed at such an early age and had been left with three young children and the Chemist shop in Hamilton street to look after.. One of the nicest if not THE nicest shop in Saltcoats. Always smart and present and much to be admired. I vaguely remember one of her sons helped her for a while in the business before leaving for somewhere abroad, leaving her to carry on herself as before. A very capable person indeed. Didn't know she lived in Sydney Street, just round the corner from me. I am pleased to remember her today.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I remember that shop fondly too Jean - fantastic place to browse. Bought my first brand lipstick in there - it had been Boots before that.

Meg
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

glenshena wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:19 pm I Remember Mrs.MacPherson well. I didn't know however that she had been widowed at such an early age and had been left with three young children and the Chemist shop in Hamilton street to look after.. One of the nicest if not THE nicest shop in Saltcoats. Always smart and present and much to be admired. I vaguely remember one of her sons helped her for a while in the business before leaving for somewhere abroad, leaving her to carry on herself as before. A very capable person indeed. Didn't know she lived in Sydney Street, just round the corner from me. I am pleased to remember her today.
I wonder if the son that helped her was a boy from my year at the Academy, Robin Macpherson. I always thought he was connected to a chemist shop in Saltcoats. In one of Bobby’s painters magazines here inAustralia there was a write up and a photograph of a painter Robin Macpherson who looked very like the boy in my class. This would jell with the comment that a son went abroad.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

I was hoping someone would remember the family. I believe she had two sons in the business but couldn't tell you their names.
madge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by madge »

There was a son named Matt Ho worked in shop. Lovely family.

Madge
Trust in God but row away from the rocks
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Yes Madge, It was Matt Who was in the shop. I seem to remember also a tall dark haired man, but perhaps he was a person she employed. I calculated that Mrs. McPherson was a widow for 57 years, but her Life was more than full with her family and shop. She deserved a medal.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

March 30, 1951

Queen Chosen

Fourteen years old Moira McGuire has been selected from the pupils of St. Mary's School Saltcoats,
for the principal roll in this year's Queen of the Sea ceremony.

Photograph and more details in This Topic
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

April 20, 1951

Stance For Fish And Chip Van Refused

An application from Mr T. J. Giovannetti, Saltcoats, for a stance for a mobile fish and chip van at the exit from the car park at South Crescent green for which he offered a rent has been refused by Ardrossan Town Council. The applicant has on several occasions been charged with standing for a period longer than necessary" in this area.

He was a central figure in the recent appeal lost by the Ardrossan burgh prosecutor, Mr J. Kirkland, at Edinburgh after Provost Beggs had refused to convict on such a charge at the local police court.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

April 25, 1952

His troubles didn't come singly

Joseph Hives, dealer, of 2 Manse Street, Saltcoats, was fined £10 and disqualified from holding a driving licence for 12 months at Dunfermline Sheriff Court last Saturday. He pleaded guilty through an agent to driving a motor van while he was under the influence of drink and admitted that he had "some beer." His condition, claimed the agent, was aggravated by three factors. They were:
(1) That he got a new set of dentures only two days ago and they weren't fitting properly, so that his speech was affected.
(2) He had broken his glasses, which had accounted for his driving erratically.
(3) He had carburettor trouble, and in bending over the engine the fumes had affected him.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

May 11, 1951

Gets Back Pay to 1948

Auchenharvie Community Centre is run by a joint committee composed of representatives from Saltcoats Town Council, Ayrshire Education Committee, and Stevenston District Council.

Mr Thomas Birch entered the Committee's service in July, 1948, but he never received any of the Joint Industrial Council's wage awards, the reason being, according to Councillor Mrs R. Lambie, chairman of the Joint Committee, that he was never considered a local authority servant.

Following intervention by the Transport and General Workers' Union, the Joint Committee have now decided to recognise Mr Birch as a local authority employee. This means that he will receive a total increase of 11s a week, 5s 6d from the first full pay period following 4th October, 1948, and 5s 6d from 1st January this year. The increases have been confirmed by Ayrshire Education Committee.

Mr Birch is also in luck for another reason. According to the Community Centre Management Committee, he is completely overworked and in need of assistance. Lending a sympathetic ear, Ayrshire Education Committee have agreed on the recommendation of the Joint Committee to appoint an assistant to share the work with Mr Birch.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

May 14, 1948

Old Men's Club

The Saltcoats Old Men's Club made application for a grant towards the supply of coal for the club room during the winter months.

The Committee recommended that a grant of £5 5s. be made for the purpose from the St. Mungo Fund. The minute was adopted.

Photo in this topic