Saltcoats and Stevenston Men - Successful US Footballers

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Saltcoats and Stevenston Men - Successful US Footballers

Post by George Ardrossan »

A friend showed me a book called American Soccer League 1921-1931. It is an equivalent of our Wee Red Book with details of American football clubs and their players. Two men from Saltcoats and two from Stevenston are mentioned.

ANDY AULD
Born in Stevenston, Scotland on 26 January 1900
Died Johnston, Rhode Island, United States on 6 December 1977

Auld who was known to his team-mates as Dasher, played for junior clubs Ardeer Thistle and Parkhead Juniors before coming to the United States in 1922. A wing half or an inside forward, he represented the United States in the World Cup of 1930. Between 1924 and 1930, he played regularly for Providence and then briefly for Fall Rivers when the franchise was moved. Later, he signed with the Pawtucket Rangers and appeared in the United States Open Cup Final of 1934. Auld was inducted into the National Hall of Fame in 1966.

JAMES LEONARD
Born in Saltcoats, Scotland probably around 1900
Known as Hooky, Leonard joined Indiana Flooring from the Scottish club, Cowdenbeath. An inside forward of considerable talent, he returned to Scotland after just one season then came back to the American Soccer League to play for the New York Nationals. In the 1928-29 season, he scored 31 goals in 50 games. Leonard remained with the club through 1929 and 1930 before returning to Britain to play with great success for Sunderland in the English Football League. He ended his career with Scottish League club, Morton.

JACK MARSHALL
Born in Saltcoats, Scotland in 1902
Considered by many the finest full-back in the world in his day, Marshall came to the United States in 1924 to play for the Brooklyn Wanderers. A Scottish international, Marshall was capped seven times between 1921 and 1924. He began his career with Saint Mirren during World War I but was transferred to English Football League club in November 1919 for £2000. A big man who was a quick mover, Jack surprised everyone by moving to Welsh League club Llanelly in August 1923. From Llanelly, he came to the United States and played for the United States against Canada in 1926. His American Soccer League career saw him move from Brooklyn to Newark and back again.

JIM SCOTT
Born in Stevenston, Scotland around 1882
Jim Scott was a member of a Scottish touring team to Canada in 1921. He had been with Ardeer Thistle, Liverpool, Dumbarton and Third Lanark. He played for New York Giants from 1923 to 1926.

George
Richard

Re: Saltcoats and Stevenston Men - Successful US Footballers

Post by Richard »

George:
That's some excellent information.
The lack of info, compared to the others, on Jim Scott, was annoying me and I tried to see what else
I could find, to add to it. Here is a little bit more:
http://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/Profile/834

Do you know if there were any more Scot's mentioned in that book ?
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Yes, Richard. There were some more Scots mentioned but only four from the Three Towns.

George
5thBeatle
Settling In
Settling In

Post by 5thBeatle »

Good work George, I have some stories of Dasher Auld before he left these shores and also when he played for USA. Will pass on to you if you wish.....its not earth shattering stuff, more anecdotal.
If you don't know where your going, any road will take you there.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

5thBeatle

Please add your stories about Dasher Auld. In years to come, some relatives of his might be visiting this site and discover useful information. I found my information in a book and uploaded it for this reason.

Thanks.

George
5thBeatle
Settling In
Settling In

Post by 5thBeatle »

Hi George. Andy Auld was a founder memeber / player of Ardeer Thistle. His brother John Auld my Grandfather was also a founder memeber / player. In total there were five Auld brothers who played junior football. Before emigrating to Canada Andy was asked to sign for Ardeer Thistle for another season. He did not tell them that he was preparing to leave the country. He asked the committe for a signing on fee, they agreed, he then asked for a fur coat for his wife Pearl, again they agreed. The money was handed over, the coat was purshased.....then he left for Canada. However many years later it was brought to the attention of Andy that Ardeer Thistle were struggling for funds and he sent over £400.

Andy was on his way back to in live Scotland after a spell in Canada when he stopped off to visit his sister. During this time he played in a bounce game where he was spotted by a USA football team mananger who asked him to sign for his team. He was also offered work as a Sheetmetal Worker by the same manager. Andy agreed to this and played professionally for several years. He was in the USA world cup team and played in all the games in 1930 in Montevideo and also in Brazil after the World Cup. I the semi final Andy got booted in the face and lost four teeth. There are photos of him playing with a white rag in his mouth during this game.

He was paid over $100 for the world cup and allowed to keep the suit made for each memeber of the team. It took two weeks for the USA to travel from New York to Montevideo (by boat). He told my Grandfather that the standard of referreing was poor. He came back to visit Saltcoats in the mid sixties and I was giving his World Cup Silver Medal. Not a bad life for one who survived the Somme.
If you don't know where your going, any road will take you there.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

5thBeatle

Thanks for that very interesting contribution.

George
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Great post, John, and much appreciated. Wish we could get more folks to post on their personal knowledge on what went before ... before we all kack it. Let's leave some flesh on the bones for those who are to follow.

If you have a story to tell click on the Register button at the top right of the page. You'll be most welcome. :)