Breckenridge from Ardrossan

For those researching family in the three towns area.
wct275
New Poster
New Poster

Breckenridge from Ardrossan

Post by wct275 »

Hi

I'm searching for my late Grans parents, my great gran parents.

My Gran was Agnes's Breckenridge from Ardrossan who had a son named Ian whom I believe ended up in prison.
My Great Granparents were William Breckenrige whom I believe may have been a fireman in Ardrossan. Violet Breckenridge I think was my Grans sister but I cannot remember.

My mother, Veronica McFadyen had sisters , Eileen, Agnes's, Mary, Catherine and brother Peter.

Any info on the Breckonridge family would be well received.

I am Billy Thomson aged 42 from Dundee originally,

Thanks for any info
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Breckenridge from Ardrossan

Post by Penny Tray »

Billy,

Ian appears in the School Photo section. He was older than me and I remember him only vaguely. He went to Eglinton and Winton Schools and lived, I think, in Clyde Terrace, Ardrossan. I have no knowledge of his parent or grandparents.

As an adult he, unfortunately, pursued a life of violent crime, details of which are publicly available on the internet, and which resulted in him being one of the original occupants of the Special Unit at Barlinnie Prison. As an inmate there and a breeder within of budgerigars he featured in a BBC television documentary, resulting in him being nicknamed 'The Birdman'. Having heard Ian's exploits discussed many times I've never heard a bad word about any other members of his family.

The births, deaths and marriages of lots of local Breckenridge's are recorded in the following site and may be helpful to you in pursuit of further information:

http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/ash.php
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Billy,If you are doing your Family Tree ,there is no easy way,you have to buy the Certificates.This can be done at any Scottish Registry Office,or if you are handy to Edinburgh ,then New Register House is the place to go .You will be able to trace your family back from their records .Last time i looked it was £10 for the day .

Sc
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
john kean
Settling In
Settling In

Post by john kean »

Billy, Ian Breckenbridge (Ardrossan) had a cousin (William Breckenbridge) who lived in Highthorne Crescent West Kilbride, during the 40's/50's, along with his mother (Annie). They were very well thought of and held in high regard in the village. I never knew his father. Hope this helps.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Billy, I've replied to your email

Meg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Billy:
I don't know what info or help Meg has given you, but if you have not already done so,
here is a simple tip that may help ?
Go to the search facility on this site and type in the name Breckenridge, then click on Submit.
This will bring up over 30 matches (links to threads involving the name Breckenridge).
Scroll down through them and simply click on the "Topic" of any thread you want to read.
These topics may be of help/interest to you.
Good luck.
tatties

Post by tatties »

I went to school with Ian Breckenbridge about 1954 mostly Iremember that at that time at Eglington school
you were in Brekkies [Ians] gang or,the Irelands gang they were two brothers cant remember thier first names,
it was more push and shove and BIG talk than any real fights.
I am sure his father was in the fire brigade and lived near the co op
dispatch,used to pick up the hot baked rolls and bread when I was on the milk run[pint of milk and hot roll was
smoko] Ithink another family lived in the same area were the Connells,I think Matt was one of the boys,found it
hard to believe the trouble he got into,when I was at school with him[I guess between 13-15 years old he was
just another kid in the play ground.
tatties
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Can't recall Ian being a gang leader - Harry and Bobby Ireland, yes. I'm talking wee boys at Winton school when we used to gallop around the castle ruins at lunch time.
karen0603
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by karen0603 »

hi billy i know who you are talking about my granpa was william breckenridge , my granny had passed away when i was born but my granpa stayed with his daughter violet and son willie and stayed in clyde terrace ardrossan ,my dad was robert but was known as bobby ,my granpa passed away age 99 not sure of the year but my oldest sister has being doing the family tree for a few years i remember auntie agness from dundee as they used to come down on holiday and im sure some of the family stayed at our house in ashdale avenue , they also had a sister jean who stayen in stevenston email if you want to know anymore
karen smith
Last edited by Hughie on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: e-mail address removed - check your e-mail in-box on how reach Billy privately through this board.
wct275
New Poster
New Poster

Post by wct275 »

Thanks very much for all of the help in finding out about my family in Ardrossan.

It is very much appreciated.

Best regards
Billy Thomson
phazelton78
New Poster
New Poster

Post by phazelton78 »

Just noticed this thread, Im Paul Hazelton, William Breckenridge was my great grandpa, I used to go to Clyde terrace to his every Saturday with my gran Jean then head into Saltcoats with my Gran and Aunt Violet.

He died in 1987.
As long as i have a pair of socks at my mums, im from Saltcoats!
Visitor

Post by Visitor »

There was another branch of the family in Govanhill in Glasgow.

In addition to Violet, Willie, Jean and Bobby, (and your grandmother in Dundee) there was another sister whose name I cannot remember, but she was buried in Ardrossan cemetery with the rest of her family, probably in the late 1970s or very early in the 80s. She died of cancer while still relatively young. She had one son I am aware of, Gary Dunsmuir. He did live in Daisy Street, the best part of thirty years ago, but I'd guess he has long moved away from there as he joined the army. Haven't heard of or from him since.

I hope that is a small help at least.