A question about Robert Burns, not the usual stuff

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

A question about Robert Burns, not the usual stuff

Post by stivis »

A long while ago I questioned a Burns aficionado about his love of Burns, I pointed out that in Ayrshire it was drummed into us, and I had no fascination with the verse, but I liked his politics. But questioned his working for the Excise.
To which he replied that the Government of the day conspired (government and conspiracy surely not!!) to ruin him, leave him with the only job available to him, the job of Excise Man.
With that job, he would have to sign away his rights to what could be classed as subversion and treason, by writing against the Crown. Thereby getting hung.
But he did in fact write under a pseudonym,
Anyone got details of that pseudonym or where it is documented that he was to be bound by an agreement
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: A question about Robert Burns, not the usual stuff

Post by Penny Tray »

I think he publicly wrote under the name RAB MOSSGIEL.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

got this little comment with a wee bit of research its part of a bigger article about burns.
Incidentally, Robert Burns is often known as Rabbie Burns or (chiefly by Americans) Robbie Burns. These are both modern misnomers and are not names he used himself. He did use Robin, Rab, Rab Mossgiel, Rab the Rhymer, Robert and in his formal letters frequently used Robt. Of course in correspondence to Clarinda he was Sylvander and in one letter to Ainslie he signed off with Spunkie.
James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Rab Mossgiel, posssibly why Mossgiel Garage (when in Mauchline)used a portrait of Burns as an emblem

However I was hoping for the more subversive anti-union stuff, , you know the "parcel of rogues" type
abla43
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by abla43 »

Hi, Stivis, I rather think that the garage were quite simply trying to capitalise on Burns' tenancy of Mossgeil farm. Mossgeil is a popular street name throughout Ayrshire, as I'm sure you know. Also , I have a memory {admittedly vague) of the "Rab Mossgeil" pseudonym and lean towards PT's theory. Years ago I read the first two of a trillogy of books on the life and times of Burns written by James Barke, which is probably where I found the "Rab Mossgeil" bit. I tried all channels known to me to find a copy of the third book without any success (out of print, apparently), so if anybody can source a copy, please let me know. Cheers, A.B.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

The trilogy actually ended up four books - Wind that Shakes the Barley, Song in the Green Thorn Tree, Wonder of all the Gay World, and Crest of the Broken Wave. Most second hand bookshops have at least one of the four - but Abebooks click here have all four. These were discussed in detail elsewhere in the forum.

Meg
abla43
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by abla43 »

Meg, thanks-willdo. Cheers, A.B.