Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.

Where in the world do we live?

Three towns
30%
Elsewhere in Scotland
21%
England
16%
Other UK
2%
Europe other than UK
2%
Australia
12%
Canada
6%
New Zealand
2%
USA
6%
Others
3%

Total votes: 438

cadoganman
Settling In
Settling In

Re: Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Post by cadoganman »

Max wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:22 am
Hughie wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:30 pm A warm welcome to you, Michael. Hope to hear more from you. :)
cadoganman wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:13 pm These have included Hamilton St,
Manse St. and 1 Caledonia Rd. which shared the address of 11 Ardrossan Rd. opposite Dr. McCanns surgery and next to Ness gardens.
I just had to have a look as I've walked up Caledonia Rd. so many times. That was the preferred way to get back to Ardrossan - through the Plantation.

In the back of the recesses of my mind I recall Dennis Nelson living at 1 Caledonia Road. Anyone else able to confirm this?
We bought the property as a vacant possession apart from Mrs. Green the dentists wife who lived downstairs in 11 Ardrossan Rd. and paid a peppercorn rent as a sitting tenant. I remember the deal was made via Canada, possibly as part of the previous owners estate. I rightly or wrongly remember the name of McMasters who I believe were related to the old cobblers shop which was at the corner of Chapelwell St. and Vernon St. I originally posted the wrong address as our house was really no. 2 Caledonia Rd. No 1 was actually the Clyde Coast booking office halfway down the same side in a little green hut, pre Ness Gardens. I believe we sold the house to a Mrs. Clark but can remember anymore after that.
Max
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Max »

Thanks for the feedback, I always admired that house as a boy, the hidden tunnels must have been a great find. I wonder if there is any more historical information on that property regarding the original use of the tunnels. Perhaps linked to the yard area on the other side of Caledonia Road.

As you will recall the house is called Bankside House and dates from the 1850s based on the old OS maps that exist; so most likely one of the oldest surviving houses in Saltcoats. I found a few threads on the forum mentioning the house, but nothing on the vaulted tunnels.

Funnily enough I’ve been living in Canada for 17 years now. This forum helps keep me in touch with the homeland.
cadoganman
Settling In
Settling In

Post by cadoganman »

Wow, what great info. I had even forgotten the name Bankside till you mentioned it. The property looks quite small from Caledonia Rd. but you can get a better idea when you count the actual chimneys. The original central staircase had been removed before we moved there so at that time it was actually two separate properties. The yard across the Rd. was at that time owned by John Mc Naught who may have been a local joiner who then sold it to Flemings fruiterers I believe. When Mrs. Green downstairs died the council workmen came to empty the house and the workers were searching for some plunder. They found some old sovereigns and I was given a full size banjo and second world war ARP helmet to keep me quiet. Anyway again thanks for your info and have a merry Christmas with you and yours.
Max
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Max »

I’ve been reading the Saltcoats Old and New chapters again, chapter 11 mentions the King’s bridge which is the one where the vaulted tunnels run under. The bridge was built by Peter King, hence its name, so I’m guessing he was also the builder of Bankside House and incorporated the access tunnels into its design. Another theory would be the tunnels were for the workers to access the working yard from their embankment cots. The whole series of chapters are well worth a read to give you an idea of what life was like in Saltcoats more than 200 years ago.

http://www.threetowners.com/old-new/chapter-11/
S.Kahila
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by S.Kahila »

Hi,

Shared DNA matches on ancestry.com appear to indicate that my ex-wife (and thus my 2 children) are possibly descendants of William Scott (b. 11 June 1809 Stevenston) and Catherine Redmond (or Rodman). I'm obsessed with genealogy and I'm trying to figure out the connection. I will create another separate post with more details.

Cheers,

Sal Kahila
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Last edited by S.Kahila on Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Welcome, Sal. Hope we can help you. :)
tomletham
New Poster
New Poster

Post by tomletham »

Hi
Thanks for letting me join.
I enjoy researching my family roots and have uncovered many links to Stevenston in particular. Plenty of McLellans, Kilpatricks and Boyds in my tree.
Best wishes
Tom.
Jim.Ellis
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Jim.Ellis »

Hi Jim Ellis, formerly known as Jim Boyle, son of Jim and Cathie Boyle of Princes Street. I attended Winton Primary and then Ardrossan Academy leaving there around 1984 as far as I can remember. I'm now living in Plymouth, Devon and have done for the past 30 plus years now, dad worked in the harbour and mum worked for Jim and Jean o'Rourke in Nicols bar in the kitchen cooking and serving the bar lunches, she could quite often be heard wandering around the bar at lunchtime shouting "2 soups?" usually ordered by the guys from the Herald Office. I left so many years ago but still have great memories of fishing down the harbour, in fact I think every spare minute I had was spent wandering around the place, sometimes helping dad but usually with a rod in my handover by the lighthouse or at the end of the tanker berth.
Aird
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Aird »

Scottish aye, Kiwi too. Interested in where my family came from. Born at Aird 1946 and fascinated by discovery of people and places that echo long forgotten words. Chalmers, Speir, Love, Houston, Robertson, Finlay, Ritchie and Kerr. The tools available on the internet are amazing for researchers, old maps, the maps with street view, Scotlands people, Places, even where folk used to live are named, numbered and as such - findable from afar. Thank you already for the forums and dedication of running the site. Hillary Barnes
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Aird wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:38 pm Scottish aye, Kiwi too. Interested in where my family came from. Born at Aird 1946 and fascinated by discovery of people and places that echo long forgotten words. Chalmers, Speir, Love, Houston, Robertson, Finlay, Ritchie and Kerr. The tools available on the internet are amazing for researchers, old maps, the maps with street view, Scotlands people, Places, even where folk used to live are named, numbered and as such - findable from afar. Thank you already for the forums and dedication of running the site. Hillary Barnes
A warm welcome to the 3ts Hillary - looking forward to your posts, both on Scotland and NZ.

MEG
djacques
New Poster
New Poster

Post by djacques »

Hi everyone,
Hope it's okay for me to join the site. My name's Denize and I work with Garnock Connections. I don't know if you've heard of us but we're a landscape partnership project that aims to preserve and celebrate local natural and cultural heritage. I joined because I'm working on an oral history project focused on women's experiences in industry, at ICI Ardeer but also in other areas of industry. Nice to meet you all and looking forward to hearing your stories :)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

A warm welcome to you, Denize, hope we can help you with your project. :)