Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.

Where in the world do we live?

Three towns
30%
Elsewhere in Scotland
21%
England
16%
Other UK
2%
Europe other than UK
2%
Australia
12%
Canada
6%
New Zealand
2%
USA
6%
Others
3%

Total votes: 438

Demmana
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Post by Demmana »

I live in Sydney Australia. I first lived in Hillhead House, School Road, Kilbirnie. My parents rented Hillhead from Mr. James Knox-Fletcher who lived at Moore Park estate nearby. We went there at the beginning of the war and lived there until I was 12. My earliest memories are of Hillhead, Kilbirnie, my friends at Bailleston Farm just a short distance away and the countryside around where I lived. Lovely memories of childhood in a beautiful part of the world.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Welcome to threetowners, Demmana. Just had a look at that address in Kilbirnie on Google. Looks like an interesting place to have grown up with all that growth nearby :)
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Demmana wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:22 am I live in Sydney Australia. I first lived in Hillhead House, School Road, Kilbirnie. My parents rented Hillhead from Mr. James Knox-Fletcher who lived at Moore Park estate nearby. We went there at the beginning of the war and lived there until I was 12. My earliest memories are of Hillhead, Kilbirnie, my friends at Bailleston Farm just a short distance away and the countryside around where I lived. Lovely memories of childhood in a beautiful part of the world.
I worked in that house in 2014. It operates as an animal charity these days, although obviously the owners are involved in far more than that.

I always found this house to have a very deep atmosphere, in particular the kitchen. I could not work out why that was. :shock:
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Demmana
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Demmana »

I remember the house very well, and the kitchen, though I would imagine it has changed a lot since I lived there. Most of the cooking was done on a kitchen range which was on all the time and there was also a small gas cooker. I don't recall any unusual atmosphere there. It was a pleasant room; always warm. The people who have it now have a facebook page.https://www.facebook.com/Hillhead-House ... 4162396486 and there is also a thread here where people are researching its history :search.php?keywords=Hillhead+House+Kilbirnie
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Yes. It was me doing the research !!

And yes. I know about the FB page. Details all the ongoing efforts by owner James Smith. The FB page is Hillhead Pets Corner. They educate kids about animals and responsibility for pets, take animals to care homes, etc.

James runs half of Kilbirnie and does so much for the community. Partner is Neil, a more restrained guy plodding along, whilst James runs about being 'fabulous'.

Plus they have Miss Olivia the chiwawa.
Last edited by Vivc113 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
FAM16

Post by FAM16 »

Thank you we have completed our search.
Last edited by FAM16 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elsie Treize
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Elsie Treize »

I was living in Stevenson, when I was just 5 years old, I think. Then we moved to Ardrossan, so I went to Ardrossan Academy from age 6 to age 15. The new school building was almost completed when our family left the country. I now live in Montreal, Canada.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Putting two and two together, from this and the nativity post, you have to be Elspeth Dowell. Welcome to Threetowners ! And there's me thinking you were in New Zealand all this time...

Susan Nock here; I moved away to Manchester at the end of fourth year and I'm still here, hence the pseudonym. And I'm afraid I'm responsible for the less than marvellous ( but still irresistible ) photos. There are some others of our class by me to be found here ; and our primary class photos are also on site, to be found here .You're only in one of them so you won't have seen the others.

Great to hear from you after all these years !

Susan
onescot
Settling In
Settling In

Post by onescot »

Hello,

Great to be here and I'm researching my family tree on the Taylor's from Kilmalcolm who moved to Ayrshire and spread out to Ardrossan, Irvine and Kilwinning.

I'm originally from Kilwinning but now live on the Gold Coast Australia.

Cheers
Ian
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

A warm welcome to the 3ts Ian. Looking forward to your posts.

Meg
kemcclain
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Re: Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself - HI!

Post by kemcclain »

Hi, my husband, of 46 years, and I live in the US, always have been here near Detroit, MI. However, my husband's father moved to West Kilbride from the US in the late 1950's, after a divorce here. There was little contact after that and Mike doesn't remember him at all. We have visited your beautiful area and have seen the holiday park he built and know he opened some bowling alleys in the area for a time. Norman E. McClain was his name, he sold his land in Ayr to his adopted son, Iain, and moved to Leicestershire quite a few years ago, with his wife Olive, a dentist. He passed away over 10 years ago and Olive died a couple of years ago. We would love to find out more about his life in Scotland, his work as a history instructor, and whatever anyone else can tell us about him. He had 5 siblings in the states who also lost touch with him. We are planning another trip to the UK in the next couple of years and will come enjoy some more time in the area. We look forward to learning more about the area and if anyone recalls Norman McClain. We know he was quite a character, enjoyed his drinks, and was a smart man. I have some photos of him I can share, if wanted. Our son is the spitting image of him!

Thank you all! Karen McClain
BigBleep2007
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Hi ☺ great site folks

Post by BigBleep2007 »

//funny Hi, I'm Marko Ayrshire born & bred was a frequent visitor to harvies. Used to work in Iceland supermarket 😭😭 briefly. Spent loads of time on arran & hinging aboot saltcoats. First proper night out ever was the metro 😭😭 a long time ago. somebody nicked my bike outside woolies 🤔
Live on east coast & the banter is HORRIFIC.....