Marriage Certificate

For those researching family in the three towns area.
bcmj223
New Poster
New Poster

Marriage Certificate

Post by bcmj223 »

GOT THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE!!
I just received my great grandfather's birth certificate from the General Registrar in Edinburgh. I had trouble reading his mother's maiden name, but after looking it up on FamilySearch.org, I found it and was able to confirm what I believed the last name was! Thomson!
If I send away for a copy of the marriage certificate, what information will that give me? Is it worth sending for?
Also, where might I find any family book or history about the Smith Family in Stevenston? Because it seems several generations of my family are from there in Stevenston, so I figure there must be some historical books or writings from there about it's people in the town history, eh?
This forum has been a great help!!
Thanks!
Cindy :)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Marriage Certificate

Post by Hughie »

bcmj223 wrote:If I send away for a copy of the marriage certificate, what information will that give me? Is it worth sending for?
Hi again Cindy,
LOL... I did warn you that once you got that birth certificate that you'd be after the parents marriage certificate.
This is what will be on that certificate:

Date and location of marriage
How married
Full names, ages, occupations and signatures of both bride and groom and if previously married.
Usual residence of each

Parents of the bride and groom:
Full names and occupations of the fathers (and if deceased)
Full names of the mothers and their maiden names (and if deceased)
Names, addresses and signatures of witnesses

Date registered
Name and signature of the registrar

Keep us posted.