Ardoch Crescent - Split from: Stevenston Point

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
June McBride
Settling In
Settling In

Re: Ardoch Crescent - Split from: Stevenston Point

Post by June McBride »

little plum wrote:Image
I hope this has worked o k This is a post card that my wife borrowed from a old lady in Kilwinning, scribbled on the back was granny cleaning the windows at 22 Ardoch crescent. (1920,s)

My gran lived in 21 Ardoch. Isa McGuire, Husband will McGuire, John, Betty, Tom and Maureen McGuire.
Lang may yer lum reek!
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

June, I seem to remember a Jim McGuire, did he work in the garage at the bottom of Ardoch Cres. ( The Beach Service Station)
I was at school with a girl called Ann(e) McBride from Deerpark, any relation.?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
June McBride
Settling In
Settling In

Post by June McBride »

Hello, Little Plum,

My McGuires were mostly from Saltcoats. Bill McGuire was my grandfather, and lived on Ardeer Cresc. He wroked at Ardeer, but before that was a bus and taxi driver. He was a hobbyist mechanic. His brother Jack (john) had a garage in Dalry and was a mechanic. There were other McGuire brothers, Jim was one, and Pat, also Joe and several girls, but I am not certain if that Jim was the same. Just may have been. I will check it out.
One was a government overseer at the factory.

I am not sure about Anne. Our McGuires went to St. Mary's in Saltcoats and St. Johns at Moorpark west Steventston. Billy and Marion McGuire were my cousins from Hawkhill place stevenston. I'll check in that for you though and see if Jim ever worked there (doing my genealogy) might take a bit though to find the info :)

Thanks for writing,

Cheers,

June
Lang may yer lum reek!
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Right enough June though I think Marion wasn't Catholic, I don't know if this helps or hinders! They were good neighbours, Marion was a die hard Elvis fan! Did Bill's sis not move down the street? The names will come to me. probably 2 am!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
June McBride
Settling In
Settling In

Post by June McBride »

Hi Morag,

Tom McGuire (myn uncle) was a Catholic, but big Marion (my aunt) was not. However, they brought the children (my cousins) up as Catholics and they went to Catholic Church and School at St. John's. What, if any, religious organization the family attended after that is not clear to me.

Do you mean william Mc Guire (Tom's father) had a sister who lived down the street on Ardoch? I know that Tom McGuire (your neighbour) had a sister who lived down the street from Hawkhill - that was my mum :) We lived at St. Columba Place at the bottom of Hawkhill. A few houses away from you :)
Lang may yer lum reek!
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

It would have been your mum, June. Tom and Marion were great neighbours..to refer to her as big Marion seems silly, I doubt she was 5 ft! But, oh, she had a backbone! (and a great sense of humour), think in their house I ever first heard 'Love me tender, love me true'..
for the record, back then, if not still now, if you married a catholic you had to sign an agreement the children would be brought up catholic, my hubby had to!
C.S.Lewis
weeliz
New Poster
New Poster

Post by weeliz »

Just joined so having a browse through old posts etc. Interested to see this photo especially as I was brought up in Ardoch Crescent from 1958 and my mother still lives in the same house. The lady standing at no 18 (not 22) could possibly be Mrs Scott. No 22 is the upper flat in the next building and the owners were Mrs Jamieson and Hugh and Peggy Cowie. There were 2 chippies nearby - Correrri's in Carment Drive and the one across the road from the dairy was owned by the folk who built the garage. I thought it was the Smiths who owned the chippy in Caledonian Road and the garage?
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

weeliz wrote: I thought it was the Smiths who owned the chippy in Caledonian Road and the garage?
weeliz, correct with the chippy and garage, for me, the best chippy in town. :) As for the address, I was only quoting what was on the postcard, but now that you mention it, odd numbers were downstairs flats. :roll:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June McBride
Settling In
Settling In

Post by June McBride »

morag wrote:Right enough June though I think Marion wasn't Catholic, I don't know if this helps or hinders! They were good neighbours, Marion was a die hard Elvis fan! Did Bill's sis not move down the street? The names will come to me. probably 2 am!
Morag, do you mean Tom's sister? If so, yes, down at the bottom of Hawkhill pl was St Comunba place, and Tom's sister did live there. That was Betty, my mom. Bill was Tom's son.
Lang may yer lum reek!
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Of course, June, I meant Tom!
C.S.Lewis
killiejok
Settling In
Settling In

Post by killiejok »

Little Plum, the houses and flats on the dairy side were all even numbers with the upstairs flats sharing a common entry and the same number. The odd numbered houses in Ardoch Crescent started beyond Campbell Blairs shop opposite Firth View. Confusion was then introduced when the 10 "new" houses were built after removal of the banking and the address was designated as 1 to 10 Ardoch Terrace and signed as such. Delivery drivers still have difficulty finding the lower even numbers in Ardoch Crescent because the Ardoch Crescent sign is on No 1, effectively at the other end.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

killiejok, check this out, I certainly had my own front and back door.

http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... ges#p92497