St John's 1965

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
JimMcCub
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

St John's 1965

Post by JimMcCub »

Here's a school photo of St John's 1963 very kindly given to me by Jim Harvey to put on the website.

St John's primary 1963 (primary3)
Miss Mcatee's class

St Johns 1963 001.jpg
Back row
Michael McDermitt, Jim Harvey,Stephen Walsh,Michael Toher,Charlie Dunn,John Glasby.
4th Row
John Campbell,Tam Breen,Hugh McMahon,Tommy Murphy,Jim Taggart,Rab Mcveigh,John McGinn
3rd Row
Mary Oliver,Carol Taylor,Grace Barr,Cecelia Monaghan,Patricia McLaughlin,Anne Cassidy,Aileen Durning,
Dierdre Brown.
2nd Row
Rita Mciver,Cecelia McCann,Mary O'Boyl ?,Denise Cochrane,Philomena MsCurry,Geraldine Convery,
Sheila Brayford,Annie McKellar,Theresa Walsh.
Front Row
Davina Miller,Jim Tomelty,Lynn Tracy.
Last edited by Hughie on Mon May 16, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Date amended from 1963 to 1965
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: St John's 1963

Post by little plum »

Jim, I've looked at this photo a few times and it's puzzling me. There's something not quite right with either the date or the primary 3 class. I used to run about with some of the lads in the photo, others were close neighbours.
If it is primary 3, this would suggest an age of 7 pos 8, the pupils look older than this.?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
JimMcCub
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JimMcCub »

Hi Little Plum I take your point but I was given the picture by Jim Harvey to post, and as he is in the picture I have to believe that the facts he has given me, are to his knowledge correct . I hope this helps you

June McBride
Settling In
Settling In

Post by June McBride »

Hi There,

Grace Barr was in primary one with me, but in 1963, we were in Miss Rose Traynor's class (primary 6) I left in October 1963 from that class to go to Canada. Maybe the photo was taken later on in 1963 after I left...Tommy Murphy was also in my class through the years.

June
Lang may yer lum reek!
JimMcCub
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JimMcCub »

Hi all I was speaking to Jim Harvie on Sunday in Potters, and told him there was some doubt about the year of the school picture he gave me to post, after some discussion, and rummeging through his memory he has changed the year to 1965 and he says the teacher was Mrs Mclaughlin. So it seems little Plum and June Mcbride were right about the validity of the date ,the names are to his knowledge correct.I would ask Hughie if he reads this post to please amend the date thanks :D :D
peterm1711
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

St John's Class Photo, Early 60s.

Post by peterm1711 »

St. Johns 2 Pag-11 (2).jpg
I'm almost certain I can see Tommy Murphy, John Hutchison, Stephen Walsh, Michael Toher, Charlie Dunn, Thomas Breen, Jim Taggart, Robert McVey, Annie Laurie McKeller, Anne Kean, Davina Miller, Hugh McMahon and Michael Fowley.

BTW, Michael Fowley, 2nd row, extreme left, is the baby brother of regular poster, Catherine Belle. I'm hoping Michael doesn't mind me using his image here Catherine. :mrgreen:

I'll be more than happy to be corrected with any of my attempts at naming names.

Can anybody add any more?
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: St John's Class Photo, Early 60s.

Post by little plum »

peterm, if you look 4 topics down in " the schools we attended", you will see the same photo posted by Jim McCub.
It was originally posted as 63, but after a bit of head scratching it was amended to 65, some names have been added. :)
Last edited by Hughie on Wed May 25, 2011 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Identical topics merged as per this post
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Catherine Belle »

peterm1711 wrote:
BTW, Michael Fowley, 2nd row, extreme left, is the baby brother of regular poster, Catherine Belle. I'm hoping Michael doesn't mind me using his image here Catherine. :mrgreen:
Why would he?
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
peterm1711
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by peterm1711 »

old.jpg
little plum wrote:peterm, if you look 4 topics down in " the schools we attended", you will see the same photo posted by Jim McCub.
It was originally posted as 63, but after a bit of head scratching it was amended to 65, some names have been added. :)

Strangely enough, I was just asking another poster yesterday why wasn't this pic in the schools section.

I see now that it is and I've mistaken it for an entirely differnt pic.

Thing is, I was WITH JimMcCub at the time he was on the verge of posting it. :oops:

Her's an earlier St John's pic which I double-checked to make sure WASN'T on the website

Names and year anyone?