" A Saunter roon Stinstin"

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Re: " A Saunter roon Stinstin"

Post by Anne »

John, there was a type of tennement building up there too if my memory serves me right, but my Grandfathers place did stand on it own. As you passed it there was a path than ran paralell and at the back of the houses that would be Glencairn St . I am running on fresh air here as it is years & years since I had been there. The house was knocked down to make way for the new developement of Mount Pleasant houses. G/Father & Donachies then moved into a new house in Townhead St past the pub (Londsdale ? )
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Anne,

me too. I'm scratching around in the deepest corners of my memory. I was 5 when we moved away, and that 62 years ago. I'll ask my brother. He's older and has a better memory than me.

Your grandfather would probably have become neighbours of my uncle Eric Traynor. They lived in my grandparents house after they died. That house was knocked down at the same time, and they moved across the road into one of the new houses beside the Lonsdale.

JD.
brosie
New Poster
New Poster

Post by brosie »

Evening everybody,
Sorry if I caused a sticking point on this one, Anne the path was my way of getting there,
came down Wallace avenue my mates house was the first one on the right in Glencairn St
passed Wullie Macphees the tomato grower across the road up the steps past the flats they
didn't mind us using their path and on to the path.
JD haven't got in touch with my brother yet.
Anyway the two tunnels just down from the mill dam, the big one was nae bother to go through
plenty of light in it, but the wee one gave me nightmares it had a bend in it and it was dark
if anything was going to get you it would happen at the bend.
Great site folks.
Brosie.
joromomi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by joromomi »

I will be going to see my old home town next week , STEVENSTON, and of course surrounding areas. Can:t wait!!!
LIke to wish all on the 3 towners a Happy Easter and all the best all the time.... Joyce
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

brosie wrote:.
Anyway the two tunnels just down from the mill dam, the big one was nae bother to go through
plenty of light in it, but the wee one gave me nightmares it had a bend in it and it was dark
if anything was going to get you it would happen at the bend.
Great site folks.
Brosie.
My pals and I challenged ourselves with the wee tunnel, pitch black and very scary, it was all wee could do to force ourselves through it! :shock:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
imajrk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by imajrk »

Does anyone remember the park (with swings) that was almost across from (but to the left) of the High Kirk Hall? There was a path there that you could take to get to it. I can't remember the name of the street that is was parallel to, but it ran up the side of the Grange and Reid's fish and chip shop. I've been away that long that my memory of street names is somewhat blurred these days). My cousin Catherine and I used to sit on the rocky ledge at the entrance to that park and feel like we'd climbed a mountain. This was long before they built the houses opposite the hall. The Threetowners site sparks memories of things I'd forgotten but suddenly come to mind. I never went into the tunnels near the mill dam, but remember there was a small one and a bigger one. My auntie lived on Glencairn St., and these places were our "stomping grounds" when very young. There was also a wee lane that you could use as you crossed the road after coming up the millen' walkway. It ran behind McGregor Ave., and took you past the dam itself and brought you out further up McGregor Ave. (which if it's still the same must look beautiful at this time of year with all the apple blossoms).
June McBride
Settling In
Settling In

Post by June McBride »

little plum wrote:B.D., can I take a step back for a minute. Do you remember the wee shop at the start of Trelawney Terr. It was called Campbell Blairs. It sold the best apple and pear ice lollies anywhere. It sat on waste ground opposite a large red sandstone building which was part of Ardoch Cres.
I remember Campbell Blair's. My granny lived at that end of Ardoch crescent directly behind Trelawny, and I was always in that wee shop with her. It was triangular in shape as I recall. Bought many sweeties there.
Lang may yer lum reek!
brosie
New Poster
New Poster

Post by brosie »

I remember the lane Imajrk, Kerelaw farm was over the burn on the left you could stop off for a swing over
the burn, and if the dam was dry you could slide down it on the borrowed newspaper advert taken from the
wee shop next to the high kirk, and if you didn't take the short cut into Magregor avenue , you could carry on
to Kerlaw castle where there was another fine orchard where I would admire their fruit, nae wonder the local bobby
used to advise my father to take his boot aff my backside.

Anyway Kerelaw castle was another great piece of history they allowed to go to ruin.
Have A nice Easter folks.
Brosie.
frank quinn
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by frank quinn »

There used to be some swings behind Sinclair St. They used to cut hay on there which was piled up to save us when we came jumping off the swings. By the way, the "tunnels" which carried Stevenston Burn should to have little traps particularly the one on the left hand side. " Jobbies" were deposited there by those who got caught short!! You had to b careful where you stepped. Really interesting topic-LOL innit.
June McBride
Settling In
Settling In

Post by June McBride »

morag wrote:I don't really remember anything on the railway side of the road. On the other side there was a side street about halfway along where you could get the liquorice root for a ha'penny, :shock:
I remember walking to St. John'sschool from Morrison Ave with my cousin Billy and he stopped into that shop and got himself liquorice root. He could have bought "real" candy, but chose that - I thought it was horrid,and only a boy would pick that over chocolate or jelly babies - now I grow it myself:)
Lang may yer lum reek!
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

By coincidence I was just talking to my kids about that, June! It depended how 'flush' you were whether to get the liquorice root, the wee hard black liquorice (lasted longer but more expensive) or the luxury, soft black candy style liquorice. What is the botanical name for the root? I's love to grow it if possible! :) Do you remember some referring to liquorice as allacreesh? And aI knew someone who called Drambuie 'sugar ally watter'
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
June McBride
Settling In
Settling In

Post by June McBride »

morag wrote: What is the botanical name for the root? I's love to grow it if possible! :) Do you remember some referring to liquorice as allacreesh? And aI knew someone who called Drambuie 'sugar ally watter'
Hi Morag, the name is Glycyrrhiza glabra. It is easy to grow in full sun here in the Ottawa valley. It has various medicinal uses, and is much sweeter than sugar. I knew about allacreesh, but not the latter :)

How much extract is in allsorts and other candy is debatable, but there used to be plenty back then.

I should tell my cousing Marion (who lived near you in Hawkhill) about this website since I am in touch with her now - got her on Facebook :)

Warmly,

June
Lang may yer lum reek!