Volunteers for Indexing Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald Int

For those researching family in the three towns area.
Alex Hughes
Settling In
Settling In

Volunteers for Indexing Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald Int

Post by Alex Hughes »

Hi Folks,

I cant` believe it was March 2003 that I first posted for volunteers to help index the ASH intimations. Since that time we have worked on completing the first three sections, the last of the entries from 1948-1960 to complete the third section will be available shortly. Then we will be working on the last section covering 1961 onwards and it is for this section that I am asking for more volunteers for.

There is usually no timescale to work to unless we are close to finishing a section. It all depends on the time you have available. Some people do a section in a week or less while some take a couple of months. All help is gratefully received.

The intimations list all Births Death Marriages listed in the paper from 1857 to date. Not only do they cover the Three Towns and other parts of Ayrshire as well but many events occurring overseas are placed as well - listing family back home and abroad.

You will be able to index at home - all you need is access to a spreadsheet like Excel or Works. If not you could use Access. The index will be put online in a similar format to the Poor Relief Index. It will list surname/forename/date/location/event/misc

A template will be sent to show how to fill in the columns with some examples. It is very easy and anyone can do this at home. No travelling and no access at FHC or LHUs needed. There is no hand writing to read, something all the Poor Relief Indexers know too well as all entries are from the newspaper.

If you are interested, drop me a line off-list at: alexander.hughes@dsl.pipex.com
and I`ll get back in touch with more information.

tata

Alex