Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
avril
Settling In
Settling In

Re: Dunera Cruise 1962

Post by avril »

Penny Tray wrote:Avril,

The funicular railway was in Bergen:

http://www.visitnorway.com/ImageVault/I ... ndler.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Penny

You're right! Thank you!

I remember a very steep climb (by railway-car) up the slopes above the town. The Norwegian fjords were carved by glaciers. Very like the Firth of Clyde, come to think of it!

Kind regards, Avril
avril
Settling In
Settling In

Post by avril »

Penny Tray wrote:Avril,

Did you also go to Kronberg Castle in Elinsore, famous for its connection with Shakespeare's 'HAMLET'?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Castle.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Penny

No, I don't remember visiting Elsinore. I think I'd have remembered that. Even aged 12 or 13, I had heard of "Hamlet".

After racking my brains, I've concluded that I must have been on the May 1963 cruise. So, the sightseeing may have varied slighlty.

I remember lots of statues in the parks. In particular, I remember a very tall monument consisting of upwardly struggling figures. I think one of our party dubbed it the "peak of humanity". As good a name as any.

I don't remember seasickness. But I'd been on the "Ashton" and the "Leven" many a time. So, the "Dunera" must have seemed like luxurious transport to me!
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Can anyone remember how much the cruise cost - i.e to Bergen, Oslo, Copenhagen and Hamburg?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi ,Here is the Dunera at anchor in Malta.Sam.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Sam,

Thanks for that photo. It's exactly as I remember.

This daft we clip (one minute long) shows her steaming along.

http://sasesearch.brighton.ac.uk/view/? ... &film=4362" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

I went on a later school cruise - on the Nevassa - in 1965. We went to Vigo in Spain, Madeira then Lisbon. It cost £28 as I remember.

Scott McCallum - Glasgow
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Hi again Avril. Yes, I had begun to wonder, because the E. S. Rennie was very plain; must have been someone from some other local Rennie family ( not yours or you'd have recognised the name ). Also I hadn't realised that there were first years as well as third years on the cruises until I read a bit more in the magazines.

Susan
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

There is a brief historical account of the 12,615-ton Dunera on this Daily Echo site. A couple of extracts:
Dunera was ordered by the British India Steam Navigation Company from the Barclay Curle shipyard in Glasgow... Dunera's maiden departure was from Southampton in September 1937 when she had a full complement of troops for Hong Kong... Britain's first permanent schools cruise liner... Dunera was broken up in Spain in 1967.
I'm still saving up for a signature.
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Susan ,there was an Elizabeth Rennie,maybe she was in Anne's class.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

scottmccallumuk wrote:I went on a later school cruise - on the Nevassa - in 1965. We went to Vigo in Spain, Madeira then Lisbon. It cost £28 as I remember.

Scott McCallum - Glasgow
Scott, I went on the SS Nevassa. It was after that team from Glasgow won the European cup, not sure if it was the same year or next. 67 or 68. We actually visited the stadium in Lisbon as part of our trip. I remember there were female prisoners tidying the grounds closely watched by guards and the Olympic rings on the main building. The other destinations were Gibraltar and Ceuta in Morocco.

Bloody murder crossing the Bay of Biscay.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
avril
Settling In
Settling In

Post by avril »

Milda wrote:Susan ,there was an Elizabeth Rennie,maybe she was in Anne's class.
Susan and Milda

There's no-one by the name of E S Rennie in our family. Sorry, can't help you there.

But my father's parents and his sister Nell (Miss Helen Rennie) lived at 104 Argyle Road, Saltcoats, for many years. I'm interested to hear from anyone who knew them.

The Dunera cruise (1963) was a lot of fun. I'm sorry to read that the ship was broken up, only a few years later. What a shame!
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Rummaging for something else I came across my receipt for the 1962 trip to Bergen, Oslo, Copenhagen and Hamburg. The cost was £32.

I also note that each student was issued with an IDENTITY CARD (issued under arrangements regarding collective passports). The card was stamped at the Foreign Office, London, on 9 May 1962, and also bears the signature of Mr. B. Bryson, Head Teacher, Junior Secondary School, Saltcoats.