BMD & Files 18 November 2009

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
mcgrattan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

BMD & Files 18 November 2009

Post by mcgrattan »

BMD-142.jpg

BMD & Files from the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald of 18 November 2009. The Files are minimal this week. No 25 Years Ago!

Tom McGrattan
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: BMD & Files 18 November 2009

Post by Hughie »

Roy Lauchlan M.B.E, a true son of Kilwinning. I hope there are many at Abbey Church on Friday to celebrate his life and service to the local community.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

I notice the mention of the first Police court house in Ardrossan New town {150 years ago}
I have also come accros the statement NEW TOWN while doing research into my Family Tree.
Can anybody explain where the NEW TOWN started and what exactly was the old Town.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

George,
In "The History of the County of Ayr" by James Paterson it says of Ardrossan that there was
".....no town within its limits save that of Saltcoats....." and "Ardrossan town and harbour are quite of modern construction, though a fishing hamlet had existed there from time immemorial..............." . Paterson also states that the Earl of Eglinton started having the town built in 1796.

The "Old Town" was presumably Saltcoats (apart from the part belonging to Stevenston).
Irene
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
gerv
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by gerv »

Sorry to see the death of Peter McCourt in this weeks BMD, he was one of the good teachers when I went to St. Michaels.
gerv