GRANT, Margaret. b. 26 Nov 1862, Stevenston

For those researching family in the three towns area.
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

GRANT, Margaret. b. 26 Nov 1862, Stevenston

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Seeking descendants of Margaret GRANT.

Margaret GRANT(b. 26 Nov 1862, Stevenston. d. unknown)
married 16 April 1883, Saltcoats
MURRAY, Patrick (b 27 March 1860, Stevenston d. 07-14 Sep 1934, Age 75 years).

Margaret’s parents were Margaret McVEY and John GRANT. John GRANT died 18 Apr 1894 at Main St, Stevenston.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Jim,

Regarding the Patrick Murray you mentioned:
My Great Grandmother Mary Kelly from Stevenston, wife of Hugh McCallum had a sister Jane who married a Michael Murray, could he possibly be a brother of the Patrick you mention, we don't know Michael's parents.

Here's what we have:
Michael MURRAY was born 1855 in Saltcoats, Ayrshire. He married (1) Jane KELLY Abt. 1875, daughter of James KELLY and Grizel BIGGART of Stevenston. He married (2) Catherine LOVELL Abt. 1888.

Children of Michael MURRAY and Jane KELLY are:
i. Grace MURRAY, b. Abt. 1877, Saltcoats, Ayr.
ii. Margaret MURRAY, b. Abt. 1879, Saltcoats, Ayr.
iii. John MURRAY, b. 1880, Saltcoats, Ayr.
iv. James MURRAY, b. Abt. 1883, Saltcoats, Ayr.
v. Isabella MURRAY, b. Abt. 1885, Saltcoats, Ayr.

Child of Michael MURRAY and Catherine LOVELL is:
vi. Edward MURRAY, b. 1890.
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

YE'VE GOT ME NOO SHUGGIE!

Post by Jim McCreadie »

I'm not too far advanced with my genealogy Hugh but it would appear at first glance that we may not be related.
Here's what I have:
Patrick MURRAY (b 27 March 1860, Stevenston d. .. Sep 1934 Age 75 years) married Margaret GRANT, Margaret (b. 26 Nov 1862, Stevenston d. unknown) on 16 April 1883 at Saltcoats.

Residences: “Melrose”, 58 Ardrossan Rd, Saltcoats.

Patrick's parents were John MURRAY and Margaret PRICE. Margaret GRANT’s parents were John GRANT and Margaret McVEY. John GRANT died on 18 Apr 1894 at Main St, Stevenston and Margaret was still alive. John GRANT’s parents were James GRANT and Mary (ms UNKNOWN).
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Jim,

Keep Michael Murray in mind as a possible brother of Patrick's when your looking at the Murray family.
If Scottish naming traditions were followed the names you give for Patrick's parents fit exactly for Michael's
children as does Janes parents.

Scottish Naming tradition is in part:
1st boy named after paternal father
2nd boy named after maternal father
1st girl named after maternal mother
2nd girl named after paternal mother

i. Grace MURRAY, b. Abt. 1877, Saltcoats, Ayr. (1st girl named after maternal mother - Grizel (Grace) Biggart?)
ii. Margaret MURRAY, b. Abt. 1879, Saltcoats, Ayr. (2nd girl named after paternal mother - Margaret Price?)
iii. John MURRAY, b. 1880, Saltcoats, Ayr. (1st boy named after paternal father - John Murray?)
iv. James MURRAY, b. Abt. 1883, Saltcoats, Ayr. (2nd boy named after maternal father - James Kelly?)

But then these are common names. :roll:
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Common names right enough Hugh. I've been up scores of blind alleys with the Murrays but once I see "Melrose" or 44 or 58 Ardrossan Road, Saltcoats, I know I'm on a winner.
Ta mate.
Jim
knxyl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by knxyl »

Jim,
Sorry you lost the family info in the move. I can send it again but I suspect the address I have for you is out-of-date.

John, Michael and Patrick were Murray Brothers, Fish Merchants. Michael's first wife was Jane Kelly, sister of Hugh's ggm. Patrick's wife, Margaret, died 1943. She was my mother's aunt but we all called her Auntie Maggie Melrose. She always had sweeties to give us when we went to see her.

Patrick lived at 58, his son, John, lived at 44 and my grandfather, Michael,at 38, where I was born.

Margaret
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Soooo, if I've got this correct all three of us are related through Jane KELLY who was married to Michael MURRAY. Here, I am assuming there were two Michael MURRAYs both from Patrick and Margaret. One of the Michaels was killed on the railway track near South Beach Railway Station in 1911.