Ardrossan from Witches Linn - 1950s

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Ardrossan from Witches Linn - 1950s

Post by georgersweir »

This photo postcard shows a panorama over Ardrossan. The Arran(?) ferry and Ailsa Craig are both visible in the distance and several churches are seen on the horizon. The oil tanks (at the Shell?) are also prominent. Are any other buildings recognisable in this scene?

The car was posted in 1958 and written by a child's hand - complete with interesting spelling.
Image Image Image
I'm still saving up for a signature.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan from Witches Linn - 1950s

Post by Penny Tray »

George,

The McGrattan's will be on to you soon. Their auld hoose is in the picture, taken I would suggest from what is now Chapelhill Mount. I see what the postcard says but it aint the Witches Linn.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

George,

Hughie will have the magnifying glass oot tae because the Winton Foundry could be in the distance, far left. The photo is looking down on Ashrove Road/Hazel Avenue/Dalry Road, etc, etc.
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

Sources close to home(!) tell me that the castle is visible on the left horizon as well as the monument to the Ardrossan doctor (MacDonald?), Also, magnifying the image suggests that the Arran ferry may actually be in harbour and the boat outside the harbour may be a smaller vessel (a fishing boat?). ..and, of course, Arran is also visible in the mist (but did you spot the A1 bus?)

PT, Meg also had difficulty understanding the vantage point as Witches Linn.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi, Is the monument that can be seen not MacFadzean's monument.The bus could be a Western SMT thats just left Montfode Dr.I'm sure there was a bus left from Montfode in them days, cant remember where it ran to. Sam.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

wellparkno9 wrote:Hi, Is the monument that can be seen not MacFadzean's monument.The bus could be a Western SMT thats just left Montfode Dr.I'm sure there was a bus left from Montfode in them days, cant remember where it ran to. Sam.
Cant remember the good doctor's name,but I thought it was mac something - MacFadzean fits the bill. I only remember single deckers from Montfode Drive to Kilmarnock, but when I come to think of it, Chapelhill Mount didn't exist, so the bus is not likely to be an A1. Sorry George, duff information again!

M
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

You can also see the towers of the Barony Church and St. Peter in Chains RC Church.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

The bus incidentally will be a double decker SMT facing down the Dalry Road service road (i.e. the road that gives access to the houses as opposed to the main Ardrossan/Dalry Road). They were driven up the main road, turned left in Montfode Drive, immediately left into the service road, before reversing back into Montfode Drive to sit in their stance facing the Main Road, ready for the off again to Kilmarnock. The AI buses as previously stated did not come up that far in these days. They all turned right into Stanley Road and on to Beggs Terrace and, I think, Kirkhall Drive, Castle Road, Broadway, McKellar Avenue and on to their stance in Parkhouse Road.
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

Is this a treasure map? What do you think the white x is for that can be seen in the sea on the right hand top of the photo, just above the tree line ? :smt102
be nice to your children, they'll pick your care home
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

Penny you are right it has been
taken from chapehill mount as what it
is today I can see the house I lived in
Ashgrove road the castle is in the background
I think :D
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

bobbydarg wrote:Is this a treasure map? What do you think the white x is for that can be seen in the sea on the right hand top of the photo, just above the tree line ? :smt102
Well spotted bobbydarg. I went back to inspect the postcard and you're right, there is a cross. I lifted up the postcard to look under the cross, and what do you think I found? Treasure!!
- or as other folks would call it, 'a ball point pen'. :D
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Bobbydarg,

And you don't think I had checked that oot before posting? If there had been any treasure I'd have been away with it. I had surmised it was a "kiss" within the text on the opposite side but couldn't see one when I looked there.