ARDROSSAN - PUBLIC TELEPHONE BOXES

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ARDROSSAN - PUBLIC TELEPHONE BOXES

Post by Meg »

Hello WF and welcome to the three towners. Are you actually located on the beautiful Tory Island? Spent a few days there a couple of years ago - what a wonderful place - music everywhere. Would love to go back.

Meg
ps - I vaguely remember the telephone box down at the North Shore.
Wildfowler Lounge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Wildfowler Lounge »

Wow! That was very well worked out! Spookingly well. You're not into spyware, are you? :D

Strange to think you were here a few years ago passing my door (as everyone has to - you've seen the size of the place!) and us being former neighbours, or at least so I think.

I've been trawling the archives here and see that you lived in Clyde Terrace, in between Mr & Mrs Townsley and Willie(Snr), Willie (Jnr) and Violet Breckenridge. I knew a boy there called Ian Gordon in the late'70s who lived in that house. I remember his mother had black hair and his grandfather lived with them. He had a boxer in the back garden and a pet rabbit in a chipboard rabbit hutch positioned against the shed facing no.5's garden. Are you the young woman with the black hair, by any chance?

The island is beautiful in the summer, but the winter really is unimaginable. My roof gets splashed with spray from the cliffs half a mile away to the north. It has to be seen to be believed.
http://protectthepope.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Wildfowler Lounge wrote: I knew a boy there called Ian Gordon in the late'70s who lived in that house. I remember his mother had black hair and his grandfather lived with them. He had a boxer in the back garden and a pet rabbit in a chipboard rabbit hutch positioned against the shed facing no.5's garden. Are you the young woman with the black hair, by any chance?
Ian is my son and yes, that's where I grew up. The boxer was called Ben, and the rabbit was called Cilla (dont know why). If you are from the Clyde Terrace area, there are a few of us who contribute to the forum. By the way, the hair was more dark brown :) and the "young" isn't so much any more. Were you a friend of Ian's? Go to PM if you dont want to say who you are -

... and welcome as I said.

Meg
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

the island of the uncrowned king. :roll:
be nice to your children, they'll pick your care home
Wildfowler Lounge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Crowning isn't and never was a feature of local Celtic kingship. He was inaugurated by common consent like all his predecessors.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Wildfowler Lounge wrote:Crowning isn't and never was a feature of local Celtic kingship. He was inaugurated by common consent like all his predecessors.
Believe it or not your island was featured on a travel show here, Globetrekkers. It was fascinating.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Was there one at the top of Dalry Road, near the Stanley Road intersection.
I have a vague memory of riding my bike to call the doc when my mum took ill.
Netta
Wildfowler Lounge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

morag wrote:
Believe it or not your island was featured on a travel show here, Globetrekkers. It was fascinating.
I believe it all too easily, Morag! I lived in Ardosssan for twenty-five years and was never on TV once. I've been here for eight and I've done at least six interviews and even been screened singing. Incidentally, I'm not a VIP, it's just that camera crews are obsessed with the remotenessof the place. Come the summer weather we'll have crews from the continent, USA and Japan here again and again and again........ If you want on TV, come here in the summer and pretend to be an islander for a crew and your place in history is assured forever. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bet our beloved king was on the travel show piece - there's no show without Punch!
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

He was indeed!
as was the wishing rock, the trekker for that particular episode, Ian Wright, was fair chuffed when he managed to land the stones? on the rock.

Meg, we've strayed off again :oops: :lol:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

morag wrote:Meg, we've strayed off again :oops: :lol:
Just back from a quick holiday in Dubai Morag so have just seen this - (temperature hit 46 Deg C whilst I was there - coming home to 6 Deg C was quite a shock:-) Anyway, you only stray off the subject if you dont ask about telephone boxes on the island - fantastic place it is too.

Meg