clam chowder

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

clam chowder

Post by morag »

This is the Manhattan or red, clam chowder as opposed to the creamy one. We had a winter storm come through with cold temps so I seized the opportunity to make a good warming soup! More rain to come later so stews and hearty dishes on my mind! :)

5 rashers streaky bacon, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 large leek, thinly sliced
1 stem celery, thinly sliced
1 green bell pepper, diced
5-6 large white tatties peeled and chopped into cubes(1/2 - 1")
15 oz can peeled, chopped tomatoes
1 tsp thyme 2-3 bay leaves
4 tins diced clams, drain and keep the liquid, refrigerate the clams.
1 tsp caraway seed
salt, pepper

render diced bacon in a large, 4 qt or more, pot, add onion and leek, stir until slightly coloured then add the celery, green pepper and tomatoes with liquid from the can, the potatoes and 4-5 cups water along with the liquid from the clams. Add the bay leaves and thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil and simmer 30 minutes. Take off the heat and let rest 45 minutes, then bring to a boil again and add the clams and the caraway seed.

We serve it with oyster (pilot) crackers and hot buttered french bread. Yum!, but beware, those tatties hold their heat!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: clam chowder

Post by little plum »

Morag, are the clams the same as our Scottish queenies (scallops) with the white muscle part that holds the shells of the bi-valve together. I,m not keen on shell fish, it might have something to do with living on the Clyde coast and bi-valves being natures way of filtering the saltwater and purifying the sea..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I don't think so, L.P., though they are bivalves. The scallops I'm familiar with are kind of like marshmallows, i.e. about 1 1/2 inch round and 1 inch thick where clams are kind of wavy edged. I think a lot of shellfish are grouped as clams though they can be quite different in flavour. But I like scallops too though I don't know if what I call scallops are what you mean :roll: !
My dad would not eat mackerel because it would eat anything even stuff other garbage eaters turned their, er, noses? up at, and he knew his fish.. :smt102
C.S.Lewis
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Hi Morag, our scallops, the muscle part, is like a marshmallow in size and is quickly fried off, and is usually accompanied with a dressing. The dimentions you mention must be the American measure, as our scallops tend to be smaller to fit our mouth's. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The ingrediants are very similar to Cullen Skink , which I think is delicious with buttered bread
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

You can get the small scallops here too, L.P., but the large ones are sometimes bacon wrapped and sauteed, mmm! Too bad my daughter's not fond of shellfish - or maybe it's just as well :lol:
Give the soup a try and let me know what you think!
C.S.Lewis
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

As I posted earlier , I'm not keen on shellfish and would avoid them if given the choice. :|
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

You could miss out the rashers of bacon and clams and use undied smoked haddock instead LP - just a wee bit different slant on Cullen Skink - which I only make in the summer these days so I can use the bbq hot plate and my house doesn't cullen stink for days after cooking :lol:

Meg