Fanny Watter's Repertoire?

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Fanny Watter's Repertoire?

Post by Penny Tray »

Fifty years on, usually whilst driving alone, I still burst into - "My Grandfather's Clock" - "Bonnie Dundee" - "The Queen's Maries" - and the "Camptown Ladies".

What other songs did Fanny Watters rattle out on that old Eglinton School piano as we sat beneath those suspended gas heaters in her voluptious music room?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Fanny Watter's Repertoire?

Post by canfactory »

D'ye ken John Peel :)

Meg might be able to confirm this, but I am sure Fanny was our music teacher when we all went to Eglinton from Winton for about 8 months (to wait on Stanley School opening).

C.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Canfactory,

Firstly,

You would never forget Fanny - but you're correct John Peel was one of the songs.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

canfactory wrote:D'ye ken John Peel :)
That's the one I remember too. The words we used keep coming back to me.

D'ye ken John Peel, Aye ken him awful weel
He used tae play wi' me in Ardrussan fitba field
He scores a goal up a nanny goat's hole
and that was a goal for the Rovers.

She was a bit of a character was Fanny Waters. I seem to remember she was always going on about fresh air and leaving your windows open at night - remember her ruddy complexion. Every time I see an old movie with Margaret Rutherford in it I think of fanny. She lived in West Kilbride if my memory serves me right.

Can't recall the overhead gas heaters but perhaps they were added after I'd left in 1956.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I think she lived right on the water front at Seamill. God love her but margaret Rutherford was too good looking as a comparison for Fanny. I think we sang a more bawdy version of John Peel but I can't remember it.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Penny Tray wrote:I think she lived right on the water front at Seamill. God love her but margaret Rutherford was too good looking as a comparison for Fanny. I think we sang a more bawdy version of John Peel but I can't remember it.
Off topic but this brought to mind - either Margaret Rutherford confided to someone or it was said of her,she had the soul of a butterfly trapped in the body of an elephant, (or such). Perhaps your music teacher was the same?
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

I remember Fanny Waters really well as I got into trouble with her because I refused to attend her Scottish country dance lessons. I did the first year but you had to give up your playtime to take them. My elder brother Richard and another guy named Raymond Dyke was, as she never let me forget "the best country dancers Eglinton ever had" so I was expected to follow suit. When I refused to return the second year her ruddy complexion got even ruddier and I got a dressing down in front of the class. I never did go back, my first act of outright rebellion in the face of authority.

Bob
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I had forgotten about the country dancing but not her ruddy complexion, probably brought about by blood pressure. You were brave even to go in the first place. I never did that.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Morag - "the soul of a butterfly" does not spring to mind when thinking of Fanny".
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Oh Fanny Watters - what a woman - but for some reason I was one of the favoured ones - yes, Canfactory she was our music teacher but also at Winton. She also entered her percussion band every year at the Ayrshire Festival - I played tambourine - didn't you play drum Canfactory - who could forget Trumpet Voluntary? But what a statement about the type of woman she was - those who had her before she retired are now sliding gracefully into middle age and she still inspires a quick rendition of John Peel, Hearts of Oak (...are our ships, jolly tars are our men, we always are ready, steady boy steady!!) My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean, Westering Home etc. I think she was off monied people - I do remember someone telling me that her fiance had been killed in the war - and she never looked at anyone else. :cry:

Meg
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

Good God, Meg, I forgot about the percussion band and our trips down to Ayr. I was still playing that damn drum when we got to Stanley too. Surely there are photgraphs somewhere......

>My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean<

LOL, I forgot about that one.

Sorry, but there's no other way to ask this...who came along after Fanny?

C.
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

[quote="Meg Gordon"]Oh Fanny Watter,

She must have been a good age when she taught you Meg,
She looked ancient when she taught us music at Eglinton
we knew her as Fanny Walrus. Must admit I liked her class..