1841 to 1901 census

For those researching family in the three towns area.
Ann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

1841 to 1901 census

Post by Ann »

Hi all, once again I am available to help with searches in the 1841 to 1901 census's. I may be also able to help with any Canadian searches.
Ann :D
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: 1841 to 1901 census

Post by georgeflemingard »

Hi Ann, I am stumped again, and as you helped me so much with the Fleming family search, i am hoping you can help me with the Dickson side of the family{my mothers side}
I am looking for John Dickson my great,great grandfather.
The information i have to date is as follows
I have the marrage Cert. for Johns son, Thomas Smith Dickson, he married Helen Mars in 1871, he was 21 at this time. they were married at 128 Vermont St. Kinning Park Glasgow on the 6-1-71
On the Cert. is Thomas`s Father, John Dickson, who was married to Isabella Smith. The cert. also shows that Isabella was deseased at this time.
What i would like to know is. what other Family John and Helen had besides Thomas. Where John was born and anything else that will help the Family Tree.
I look forward to hearing from you Ann and thank you again for your help in the Past.
All the best. George Fleming
Ann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ann »

Hi George, nice to hear from you again.
This one has stumpped me as well. :shock:
What I have found is Thomas Dickson in the 1891 Census with the following.
Andrew Dickson - son born 1889 Lanark
Elizabeth Dickson - daughter born 1876 Lanark
Helen Dickson - daughter born 1887 Lanark
Jane Dickson - daughter born 1872 Lanark
John Dickson - son born 1881 Lanark
Thomas Dickson - son born 1878 Lanark
William Dickson - son born 1880 Lanark
Thomas Dickson - head born 1851 Lanark - general labourer
Helen Dickson - wife born 1852 Lanark
Address - civil parish Govan, Lanarkshire 38 McLean St.

Also found Thomas and Helen in the 1871 Census
Helen Dickson - visitor born 1851 Glasgow
Thomas Dickson - visitor born 1851 Lamesley, Lanarkshire - Shopman
John McSmith age 21
John McSmith age 6 mons
Mary McSmith age 20
Address - 128 Vermont St., Govan, Lanarkshire - the same address as their marriage.
I'll keep you posted as to what else I can find
Ann
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

Hi Ann,
Thank you very much, thats great you definately have the right Thomas/Helen. I have thier marrage Cert. and the1891 Census, and all my info. agrees with yours.
The McSmiths that you have found. Where Thomas and Helen were visitors, are interesting.
I know Thomas`s Mother was Isabella Smith. and 128 vermond st. was where Helens Parents, William Mars/Jane Lyle lived. But i have no idea who the McSmiths were.
I susspect they were neighbours as Tenement buildings usualy housed about six Families under the same address, and as two of the McSmiths are about the same age as Thomas and Helen, I would think they grew up together and remained friends after Thomas and Helen were married.
But John Dickson and his wife Isabella Smith, {Thomas`s Mother and father} are still hiding somewhere. Its driveing me {roon the bend}
OK, thanks again Ann for all your help. all the best, George
searcher
New Poster
New Poster

Post by searcher »

Hi There Ann,

Would you be able to help me? ...I am trying to trace my ggrandparents Mary Farnan born 1862? Stevenston married James McNamara (born about 1861) according to the statutory marriage entry (1883)although led to believe he was born about 1857. Mary's address is shown as New street Stevenston and James's address at Harbour Buildings Ardrosson.

Mary's parents are John/James Farnan General labourer deceased at the time of the marriage and her mother Bridget (looks like Leedger???). Mary's occupation is listed as a dynamite worker.

James's parents are John Mcnamara general labourer and Mary Morgan(I think it says that). They were married at The Roman Catholic Chapel in Saltcoats. That's has far as I have got. I couldn't find a census for 1881ish and they have moved to England by 1901 census. Can you help to steer me in the right direction please?
Ann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ann »

Hi Searcher,
Mary Fernan's father James was born in 1806 Ireland. Her mother Bridget was born in 1822 Ireland, she was widowed before 1881.
Mary had a brother William born in 1860 Kilbride, Ayr. There was another William listed as James' grandson, born 1881 Stevenston, Ayr.
I'll keep you posted as I find other info.
Ann
Ann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ann »

Hi Searcher,
I have checked for marriages, births, and deaths in Scotland and I found no births for Mary or her brother William, but I did find them in the 1871 Census Living in Stevenston, Fullerton Pl. In the 1881 Census Bridget is listed as being a widow. Her children William and Mary were born in Ireland. I could not find a death for their father James nor could I find one for Bridget. I believe that Bridget's MS name may have been "Judge" not Leeger.
Ann
Ann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ann »

Hello Searcher,
It looks like mary's brother William and mother Bridget followed her to Lancashire, England. In the 1901 Census it shows William married to Margaret, born 1859 Liverpool
daughter Margaret born 1891 Bootle, Lancashire
son William born 1895 Bootle, Lancashire
Address is 41 Rhyl St. Lancashire
William's occupation was a dock labourer
Bridget was in a workhouse for widowed women at the age of 70 Liverpool, Lancashire. She was born in Ireland in 1831.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Ann,

I am trying to find any information about Jessie or Bessie Adam or Adams who emigrated from Adrossan to South Africa in 1905. Can you help? She was a child at the time they emigrated.

John Donnelly
Ann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ann »

Hi John,
What type of information are you looking for? Are you looking for family history on Jessie or Bessie? or are you looking for information after immigration?
Ann
Ann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ann »

Hi John,

I found a Jessie Adams born 1885 Ardrossan living at 20 Montgomerie Street in the 1901 Census. She was 16.
Father - John Adams born 1851 Kilmarnock, Ayr. Accupation Burgh Collector.
Mother - Elizabeth Adams born 1851 Bieth, Ayr.
Brother - Thomas Adams born 1877 Ardrossan
Brother - Robert Adams born 1879 Ardrossan
Sister - Lydia Adams born 1887 Ardrossan
Sister - Elizabeth Adams born 1888 Ardrossan
Brother - James Adams born 1892 Ardrossan
I'm still searching, i'll get back to you,
Ann
Ann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ann »