Mary Biggarts 1807 and 1831 of Beith and Dalry, Ayr

For those researching family in the three towns area.
paulrswan

Mary Biggarts 1807 and 1831 of Beith and Dalry, Ayr

Post by paulrswan »

I am trying to identify the parentage of the Mary Biggart who was married 10 Dec 1831 to Thomas Biggart in Ayr, Scotland. The marriage was recorded in both the Beith and Dalry registers.

Was that Mary the daughter of Robert Biggart and Marion Service christened 10 May 1807 in Beith?

If NOT, then that Mary might be the ancestress I'm searching for, Mary Biggert born about 1810/11 in Scotland [family records], married 22 Apr 1833 in Greenwich Village, NYC, USA, to Hamilton Brown who was born in Stevenston, Ayr. On the other hand, if Mary, daughter of Robert and Marion, WAS the one who married Thomas Biggart, then I can eliminate her as a possible candidate for my Mary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul R. Swan
Vail, AZ, USA
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mary Biggarts 1807 and 1831 of Beith and Dalry, Ayr

Post by Hughie »

paulrswan wrote:I am trying to identify the parentage of the Mary Biggart who was married 10 Dec 1831 to Thomas Biggart in Ayr, Scotland. The marriage was recorded in both the Beith and Dalry registers.
Was that Mary the daughter of Robert Biggart and Marion Service christened 10 May 1807 in Beith?
Hi Paul,
The above appears to be correct according to the Biggart family tree (see attachment). It was passed on to me over fifteen years ago from Gibson Biggart then living in Dundee and in his eighties.

The following was also passed on to me, it's extracted from the family's recorded history:
Thomas (Biggart) (1720), the oldest son, succeeded to Highgate (farm) and William (1725), the second son, to Auld Mill (farm) but William sold Auld Mill at Beith to his brother Tom, and, going over to the Largs hills bought the farm of Whitehill, from whence the Dalry Biggart's took their beginning.

My connection:
I believe my ancestor is the William who went to Dalry and that my proven ancestor Adam Biggart b. C1760 was his son, but I've been been unable to prove it.

My ancestors Adam Biggart and Margaret Thomson had their marriage banns called in Dalry and Ardrossan in 1782. They raised their children in Ardrossan - their son William married Jean Boyd of Stevenston and they raised their children in Stevenston - their daughter Grizel (Grace) Biggart married James Kelly in Stevenston. Their daughter Mary Kelly and Hugh McCallum were my great grand parents married at Stevenston in 1881. I was lucky enough to find their headstone in Stevenston's New Street cemetery last year. :D

My earlier Biggart post
Attachments
Biggart Tree amended.JPG
wmh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wmh »

Hi , I was just looking over your info and the Biggart connection , my great grandfather Michael Murray was married to Jane Kelly , parents James Kelly and Grace Biggart, I have not yet looked into the Kelly or Biggart side so Mary is Jane's sister ,was Jane older or younger? and how many sisters and brothers altogether, if you could help clarify I would be Gratefull .

Murray Hughes (wmh)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Murray,
You strike gold when you find an 1855 birth, marriage or death certificate.

REGISTER of BIRTH
District of Stevenston
No 159 County of Ayrshire

Name & surname : Jane KELLY

When born : 8th October 1855 06.30 a.m.
Where born : Boglemart Street, Stevenston
Sex : female
Father : James KELLY Coalhewer aged 25 years
Birthplace : Parish of Curan, County Fermanagh
Mother : Grace KELLY Maiden name BIGGART aged 25 years
Birthplace : Stevenston Her 4th child.
Marriage : 1850 February 11th at Stevenston.
Issue : One Boy and One Girl living Two Girls deceased.
Informant : James Reilly Coalhewer
: residing in Boglemart Street Stevenston-informant
Registrar : James ORR

The Kellys lived at 56 Boglemart Street, diagonally across from where the Grange picture house would eventually be. I checked out the address and found it was most likely to be the vacant block beside where a florist now is.

My great grandparent's headstone at Stevenston New Street.
Erected by / Agnes Murray / in loving memory of / her Grandmother / MARY KELLY
/ died 19th March 1932 / her Grandfather / HUGH Mc CALLUM / died 21st May 1933
/ and her Cousin / Wee MARGARET / died 15th May 1925
wmh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wmh »

Thank you very much for your help and info Hugh good of you to share it
regards Murray
joe-boy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by joe-boy »

Hughie wrote:Hi Murray,
You strike gold when you find an 1855 birth, marriage or death certificate.

REGISTER of BIRTH
District of Stevenston
No 159 County of Ayrshire

Name & surname : Jane KELLY
Hi Hughie,

I also have a copy of Jane KELLY's Register of Birth, but it confused me somewhat :?
It shows both her parents (James KELLY and Grace(Grizel?) BIGGART) as being aged 25, yet I have them as both being born in 1928?
Also confusing is the line that states Jane is Grace's 4th child, yet it also states that James and Grace have one living son and daughter and two deceased daughter. Surely that would make Jane her 5th child?

I'm a bit of a novice at genealogy, so I'm not sure if these complications are just all part of the fun???

Joe.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Hi Hughie
William Biggart 1795 who married Jean Boyd c1783
Sister Isabella Biggart 1783 married James Scott 1783 brother of John Scott 1775 my GGG Grandfather.
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

joe-boy wrote:It shows both her parents (James KELLY and Grace(Grizel?) BIGGART) as being aged 25, yet I have them as both being born in 1928?
Also confusing is the line that states Jane is Grace's 4th child, yet it also states that James and Grace have one living son and daughter and two deceased daughter. Surely that would make Jane her 5th child?

I'm a bit of a novice at genealogy, so I'm not sure if these complications are just all part of the fun???
Hi Joe, You're correct they are both stated to have been born in 1928. I see the discrepancy being nothing more than an error on the part of the informant. He was after all a neighbour and not a family member.
The count of the children would be correct too at the time of registration.

Sorry for the delay. Hadn't noticed your post back when. :smt102

Hi Ellen, Thanks, I've made a note of Isabella's marriage to James Scott.
paulrswan

Post by paulrswan »

Hughie,

I'm terribly embarrassed. Somehow I posted my query and then lost track of that. I've only now seen your reply and copied your descent chart. Your response indeed answers my query very nicely. Thanks for your help and, again, my apologies for the long delay in responding.

Paul
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

You are most welcome, Paul. :)