BMD & Files 12 December 2007

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
mcgrattan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

BMD & Files 12 December 2007

Post by mcgrattan »

BMD1-2.jpg
LB12Dec07-2.jpg
BMD & Files from the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald of 12 December 2007.

Tom McGrattan
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by elvis1913 »

Ellen thats no you in that photo wae aw those biker guys is it? :lol:

Josephine.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: BMD & Files 12 December 2007

Post by georgeflemingard »

Hi Tom I love your bmd files. reading about the old days and your photos are great. The photo of the motor Cycle club took me back a few years i was a member at the time of the photo and recognise a few of the faces but cant recall there names. can anybody help out with a few names. George
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

George, I am not too sure but the guy on the 3rd bike from the right, is his name 'Tom Strange" or similar (I don't mean funny). He looks like one of 2 brothers who stayed near to us c/o Donaldson Ave /Hayocks Road who were always on motor bikes. I was young then (11 -12) and remember getting a ride round the block in a side-car. Maybe I have been drinking too much tea but he does look familiar.

Regards Anne
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

I think it was 'Strain' (spelling?) George
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Third from the left at an outside guess might be Ronnie Yuille. Ronnie had a Gold Star 350 BSA which he used to road race. I recall at the time some of these events were staged on the runways of disused airfields around the late fifties.

Went to a few events at Grandview Stadium in Stevenston when they used to have their scrambble events on a Friday night. Think it was in the inner section of the then dog track - where the golf driving range is now at Hillside Street.

I knew I had this somewhere:
BMD & Files 12 December 2007.jpg
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

hewmac wrote:Third from the left at an outside guess might be Ronnie Yuille. Ronnie had a Gold Star 350 BSA which he used to road race. I recall at the time some of these events were staged on the runways of disused airfields around the late fifties.

Went to a few events at Grandview Stadium in Stevenston when they used to have their scrambble events on a Friday night. Think it was in the inner section of the then dog track - where the golf driving range is now at Hillside Street.

I knew I had this somewhere:
I think you are right Hugh my guess would be Ronnie, now you mention it. i remember those times at the dog track, in fact i took part in one of the events, but on good i had the wrong bike. the guys did race on the old Air fields, one i remember was Errol Arodrome, there is a photo somewhere in the archives of a crowd of us posing in front of a Bus that was at Errol, and i think Jerry Borland and Ronnie Yule were raceing that day.I have a feeling that third from the left is Lex Allan? I love the Badge,
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Anne wrote:George, I am not too sure but the guy on the 3rd bike from the right, is his name 'Tom Strange" or similar (I don't mean funny). He looks like one of 2 brothers who stayed near to us c/o Donaldson Ave /Hayocks Road who were always on motor bikes. I was young then (11 -12) and remember getting a ride round the block in a side-car. Maybe I have been drinking too much tea but he does look familiar.

Regards Anne
You are right Anne it is Tom Strain a very popular guy in the club, the name came back to me as soon as you mentioned it, I think third from the left is Lex Allan, Lex and Donnie Sheden were great mates so if Lex is there i would expect to see Donnie as they were always together, but i dont recognise him. George