BMD & Files 12 December 2007

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
mcgrattan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

BMD & Files 12 December 2007

Post by mcgrattan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:34 pm

BMD1-2.jpg
LB12Dec07-2.jpg
BMD & Files from the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald of 12 December 2007.

Tom McGrattan

elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by elvis1913 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:51 pm

Ellen thats no you in that photo wae aw those biker guys is it? :lol:

Josephine.

georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: BMD & Files 12 December 2007

Post by georgeflemingard » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:06 am

Hi Tom I love your bmd files. reading about the old days and your photos are great. The photo of the motor Cycle club took me back a few years i was a member at the time of the photo and recognise a few of the faces but cant recall there names. can anybody help out with a few names. George

Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:38 pm

George, I am not too sure but the guy on the 3rd bike from the right, is his name 'Tom Strange" or similar (I don't mean funny). He looks like one of 2 brothers who stayed near to us c/o Donaldson Ave /Hayocks Road who were always on motor bikes. I was young then (11 -12) and remember getting a ride round the block in a side-car. Maybe I have been drinking too much tea but he does look familiar.

Regards Anne

Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:18 pm

I think it was 'Strain' (spelling?) George

Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:33 am

Third from the left at an outside guess might be Ronnie Yuille. Ronnie had a Gold Star 350 BSA which he used to road race. I recall at the time some of these events were staged on the runways of disused airfields around the late fifties.

Went to a few events at Grandview Stadium in Stevenston when they used to have their scrambble events on a Friday night. Think it was in the inner section of the then dog track - where the golf driving range is now at Hillside Street.

I knew I had this somewhere:
BMD & Files 12 December 2007.jpg

georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:37 am

hewmac wrote:Third from the left at an outside guess might be Ronnie Yuille. Ronnie had a Gold Star 350 BSA which he used to road race. I recall at the time some of these events were staged on the runways of disused airfields around the late fifties.

Went to a few events at Grandview Stadium in Stevenston when they used to have their scrambble events on a Friday night. Think it was in the inner section of the then dog track - where the golf driving range is now at Hillside Street.

I knew I had this somewhere:
I think you are right Hugh my guess would be Ronnie, now you mention it. i remember those times at the dog track, in fact i took part in one of the events, but on good i had the wrong bike. the guys did race on the old Air fields, one i remember was Errol Arodrome, there is a photo somewhere in the archives of a crowd of us posing in front of a Bus that was at Errol, and i think Jerry Borland and Ronnie Yule were raceing that day.I have a feeling that third from the left is Lex Allan? I love the Badge,

georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:45 am

Anne wrote:George, I am not too sure but the guy on the 3rd bike from the right, is his name 'Tom Strange" or similar (I don't mean funny). He looks like one of 2 brothers who stayed near to us c/o Donaldson Ave /Hayocks Road who were always on motor bikes. I was young then (11 -12) and remember getting a ride round the block in a side-car. Maybe I have been drinking too much tea but he does look familiar.

Regards Anne
You are right Anne it is Tom Strain a very popular guy in the club, the name came back to me as soon as you mentioned it, I think third from the left is Lex Allan, Lex and Donnie Sheden were great mates so if Lex is there i would expect to see Donnie as they were always together, but i dont recognise him. George