Ardrossan Smacks

For those researching family in the three towns area.
alanr
New Poster
New Poster

Ardrossan Smacks

Post by alanr »

My great grandfather, Archibald Thomson, born 3 May 1845 died 8th July 1921 in Glasgow Street. He was a time-served sailmaker but when he finished his time he bought a Smack. According to the family he was known locally as Smack Tamson.
I'd like to find out the name of his boat, and any information about him. Does anyone know of a list of Ardrossan boat owners?
I'd be grateful for any leads.
Alan
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan Smacks

Post by Penny Tray »

Previous posts which may or may not be connected: -

CLYDESHIPS.CO.UK
11 JUNE 1859

VESSEL WRECKED

The wooden smack CATHERINE, built by Peter Barclay & Son, Ardrossan, for Archibald Russell and Archibald Thomson, Ardrossan, and launched in 1850, was wrecked at Coleraine.

CLYDESHIPS.CO.UK
24 MAY 1864

LAUNCH AT ARDROSSAN

The wooden sailing smack CATHERINE THOMSON, built by Joseph Russell, Ardrossan, for Archibald Thomson, Ardrossan, was launched at Ardrossan Harbour.

CLYDESHIPS.CO.UK
29 JANUARY 1869

LAUNCH AT ARDROSSAN

The wooden schooner ANNIE B SMITH – 66 feet in length, 18 feet in breadth, and 7 feet in depth – built by Peter Barclay & Son, Ardrossan, for Archibald Thomson, Ardrossan, was launched on the above date.

GLASGOW HERALD
28 SEPTEMBER 1877

SALE OF PROPERTY

A somewhat extensive sale of property took place in the Eglinton Arms Hotel, Ardrossan, yesterday. The attendance of bidders was large, and the various lots brought good prices.

Lot No. 4, a dwelling-house, with garden attached, 4 Montgomerie Street, Ardrossan, upset price £570, sold at £750 to Captain Archibald Thomson, Ardrossan.

Messrs Moncrieff, Paterson, Forbes & Barr, writers, were the agents, and Mr Symington acted as auctioneer.

GLASGOW HERALD
20 DECEMBER 1886

SHIPBUILDING IN 1886 - THE ARDROSSAN SHIPBUILDING COMPANY

Launched one vessel, built of wood, named MAGGIE W. SMITH, 149 tons gross, for Mr Archibald Thomson, Ardrossan, and intended for the Newfoundland trade.

CLYDESHIPS.CO.UK
11 NOVEMBER 1892

SHIP ABANDONED

The wooden schooner MAGGIE W. SMITH, launched by Ardrossan Shipbuilding Company on 22 May, 1886, to the order of Archibald Thomson, John Smith, and others, of Ardrossan, was abandoned after severe storm in the North Atlantic. The crew of six were rescued by SS EUCLID.

The Liverpool Shipwreck and Humane Society and the Board of Trade made awards to master Thomas T. Farrell of the EUCLID, as well as to the chief mate Christopher Jones, and three crew that manned the boat that rescued the schooner’s crew.

CLYDESHIPS.CO.UK
12 OCTOBER 1918

VESSEL FOUNDERED

The schooner ANNIE B SMITH, built by Peter Barclay & Son, Ardrossan, for Archibald Thomson, foundered off Harland Point, Devon.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Archibald Thomson seems to have been an influential shipping merchant back in those times, I wonder why more is not known locally about him.
alanr
New Poster
New Poster

Post by alanr »

Much obliged to the forum for the info. As regards CATHERINE THOMSON, I see that she was completed in 1864, Archibald was still serving his time then, I have his indentures which show he was earning 37p per week at that time, so I'm not sure that this will be 'our' Archibald Thomson. ANNIE B SMITH is described as a schooner, which is a different rig to a smack. During my research I found a newspaper article describing her abandonment and later recovery following a storm in Lough Swilly involving loss of crew members, a story which would surely have become part of our family lore. So I'm afraid I have my doubts about that one too. Should have asked my grandfather 50 years ago!!! Thanks for your input.
Alan