Harris of Saltcoats

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Harris of Saltcoats

Post by margb »

Sad to see the relay gone. It provided a wonderful service and aided the town to have very few aerials on th e town roofs. Now it will have all these ugly dishes instead. I really don't think its progress.
I've noticed that whilst here dockhead st and green st are mentioned. Nurseryland in Hamilton st was also part of Harris of saltcoats.
The name changed from Robert Harris &,Co (Dockhead St)Ltd. when Robert himself left the company in the early 70's. The workshop was retained in green st.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

What a nice surprise to see this topic back on the front page. I'd completely forgot I started it!
Witterquick
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Witterquick »

Pretty sure my late father (Eddie Cowan) worked here for at least 10 years fixing tv's around the 3 towns :) I often accompanied him!
teddog01
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by teddog01 »

Hi Rab , that brought back memories. I worked for Harris of Saltcoats from September 1974 until leaving in 1988 and I remember well working with brilliant people out of the Green Street workshop repairing TV's .
The people that owned the business at that time were Colin Evans and George Fullwood and they were good to work for. Robert Harris retained the cycle shop at the Green Street entrance and if I recall correctly he was the brother in law related to Colin.

With changing times and with new management with grandiose attitudes in place of local service , the whole set up however lost sight of the place the company had enjoyed and cultivated in the three towns and it surprised no-one who worked for the company that because of this it subsequently failed ( managers driving luxury cars such as Jaguars and top end Volvos) and the predictable decline led to it's demise.

I loved working for Harris of Saltcoats and have brilliant memories .
Oh and Witterquick , I remember you and your father very well.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I seem to recall in the early 1950s they had a toy electric train set-up in the window which could be activated by the public using a button on the window frame. Anyone else remember this?