North Shore, Ardrossan

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: North Shore, Ardrossan

Post by harrysteell »

bobnetau wrote:Campbell, what is the Garth.
Does anyone recognise the lass at the front in the bather?
Hi Netta and Bobby the girl with her hand over her mouth, between the two ladies is Sarah Blackwood,
best wishes,
Harry Steel.
aland
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by aland »

noticed that the wee gatehouse at glenfoot has been demolished, at one time Glenfoot was owned by ICI and it was friends of my grandfather that lived in the gatehouse for years, was tiny inside. had been empty for years though as the bloke died and his missus moved away

dont know if the hotel is still open
call me alan or al, labels are for tins of beans or soup not people. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns
geomacintyre
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by geomacintyre »

Added this one to my collection today. Bit before my time but I always remember the stretch between the town's edge and the Tarbet being popular with the "motoring" crowd.
Attachments
North Shore, Ardrossan
North Shore, Ardrossan
What we do for ourselves alone dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. - Albert Pine
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I recognise Big Jumbo. One of the local landmarks err... Seamarks. :roll: had lots of fun in that area while growing up. Looks like a radio mast in the hills towards West Kilbride.
Sarabelle84
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Sarabelle84 »

Hi

Just found this post...the Sarah Blackwood in the photo is my mum. She has many a story of being along the shore with the family
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

I to remember diving off big jumbo, but you had to make sure the tide was in far enough to have enough depth, otherwise it was easy to scrape your belly on the sand.
I believe that lovely smell of the seaweed is a gas called, Dimethyl Sulphide, Its produced by seaweed and Phyto Plankton.{ The smell of the sea} once released into the atmosphere it oxidizes to become sulphate and sulphonate these compounds cause water vapor to condense into droplets forming clouds
johnm
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by johnm »

maplecandy wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:09 pm I know this an old post but I saw that wee aggie was looking into history of glenfoot house. I would love to know what you found out. My grandparents worked there before they emigrated to Canada in 1956. They lived in the little white cottage by the road pictured in the photos posted here. My uncle was born inthat cottage. My mum was also born whilst they lived there but she was born in a hospital in Kilwinning that is now a nursing home.

My granny loved the North Shore and I loved listening to her stories. She passed away in 2005 and I miss her dearly. She wanted to be scattered along the North Shore but I didn't know how to go about doing it so i still have her ashes until I figure it out.

I have been told that Glenfoot House is no longer operating as a hotel. Does anyone know what its current status is? Grateful for any info.

Cheers
Glenfoot was closed as a hotel around 2000, and was used as overflow for Seamill hydro for a few years, then lay empty for a while, it was then sold for redevelopment about 2017. It is now a fine big private house.