Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.

Where in the world do we live?

Three towns
30%
Elsewhere in Scotland
21%
England
16%
Other UK
2%
Europe other than UK
2%
Australia
12%
Canada
6%
New Zealand
2%
USA
6%
Others
3%

Total votes: 438

Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Post by Meg »

Auldwilliam51 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:17 am Hello,I’m William Wallace Auld, I lived in Saltcoats from 1955 until 1970, When I moved to England, Lived with my Aunt in Slough Berkshire,Now married to Esme and live in Burnham,Bucks.I attended the Old Public School, in Argyle Road,Saltcoats then Saltcoats Secondary School,Ardrossan Academy left 1969-70.While attending Saltcoats Secondary went in 2 school cruises, one to the Baltic the other to Vigo,Madeira and Lisbon, Now retired interests include,Art and playing music, guitar and piano. Regards William Wallace Auld
A warm welcome to the Threetowners William - looking forward to reading your posts.

Meg
Auldwilliam51
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Auldwilliam51 »

Hi I’m,William Wallace Auld, originally from Saltcoats, now living in England. Looks like a good website for the old towns. Wallace
:D
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

Scott McCallum here, did you go to Salcoats Public Primary then Ardrossan Academy with me in the fifties/ sixties. Others on here or about are Caroline (Scott) Gibson, Ida (Bruce) Emerson, Gus Lauchlan and Wilson Havlin - and maybe I forgot some, getting on now.
I'm up in Glasgow, happily, retired from teaching and enjoying life. How are you?
LinnBurn
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by LinnBurn »

Hi everyone, I'm Dee originally from Ardrossan, now in Australia. I say originally from Ardrossan but I started life in Glasgow, we moved to Durham in England for my dad's work with ICI then back up to Ardrossan. Primary school in Durham and then Ardrossan Academy before I left for Glasgow to start nursing at the old Western. Then emigrated to Victoria Australia in 1980. Most of my time in Australia has been on the Mornington Peninsula but now living in East Melbourne as it's easy for my work as a tram driver.

I came onto this site to research Glenfoot House and Annie's Lodge for a book I'm writing. I got a bit side-tracked and found the post about the Round Table's Donkey Derby fundraiser for the Sisters on South Beach. I used to ride in the Donkey Derbies! But even more interesting for me was the photo and article content. My dad was Tom Forrest and he's in the middle with the trendy sideburns. He and Mum - Marjorie Forrest were both very involved in community. Mum was an Ardrossan councillor for years while Dad was on the Round Table for years. Mum was born and bred in Stevenston. Her family was Jamieson, the local butcher. Dad was born in Glasgow like me but brought up in Ardrossan and West Kilbride. One brother was in the Ardrossan Pipe Band for years. My wedding reception was in the Eglinton Hotel, sadly gone now.

Pleased to meet you!
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Hi Dee and a warm welcome to the 3ts - I knew your parents well and was very fond of both of them. I was actually at your wedding reception in the Eglinton hotel. Your grandfather and my father both worked at the Shell Mex in Ardrossan. Lovely to hear you’re doing well down under.

Meg
Crouchose
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Crouchose »

Hello
I'm Alex and I've joined because I am researching my family history. My 4th great grandfather was a shipmaster in Saltcoats John Wyllie/Wylie d. 1830 and married to Elizabeth Hendry/Henry, so I am trying to find out a bit more about them. He had connections with a John Kinnear also a shipmaster.
Alex
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Hello Alex and welcome to the threetowners. I’m sure you’ll get pointed in the right direction to research your family. Good luck.

Meg
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Hi Alex,
I found some information on Scotlands People which may help you:
John Wyllie, born Ardrossan parish
on 27 Feb. 1763. Parents William Wyllie and Janet Willson
or
on 25 Dec 1760. Parents Thomas Wyllie and Margaret Fairlie
These were the only two I could find born in the three towns, based on the year of his death.

Marriage to Elizabeth/Elisabeth Henry
06 July 1795 at Ardrossan parish

Elizabeth Henry, born Stevenston parish
on 29 June 1776. Parents Archibald Henry and Elspah Kinnier.

I can't guarantee that this is the 'correct' John Wylie. Perhaps you have more information to help you decide.

Good luck with your research,
Irene
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Claire81may
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Claire81may »

Hi everyone how do I post old photos of the ardeer Rec ?
Steviemcginn
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Steviemcginn »

Hiya folks. I’m sure you’re familiar with the name McGinn. I’m yet another one. I’ve very much enjoyed looking into this forum and I’ve learned so much about people and places especially in Stevenston.

I think I’ve got some then and now photos to add. It’s been very interesting trying to recreate old photos from the place the originals were taken from.

Please allow me to negotiate this forum and I’ll post the pictures asap
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Claire81may wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:11 pm Hi everyone how do I post old photos of the ardeer Rec ?
Hi Claire a warm welcome to threetowners see here: :) Have a read at this post regarding photos and note the practice area in the member's section: viewtopic.php?p=25393#p25393
JBH
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by JBH »

Hi
I've been reading through the general forum chats for a few years now and decided that it was time to contribute to some. I grew up on Auchenharvie Road - went to Kyleshill Primary in 1960, then Ardrossan Academy. My mother is still very much to the fore and I'm piecing together her life story. Born Janet (Jen) Whittaker, she lived in Eglinton Place, Eglinton Street and Raise Street prior to getting married. She worked briefly in a shoe shop, corner of Dockhead St and Windmill St, when she left school but eventually got a job in one of the canteens in ICI, around 1947. She has told me stories about Thorburns, at the bottom of Raise St who would sell a slice of dumpling for a halfpenny. Ross' Dairy had a horse and cart which went round with milk churns and she remembers taking out a large jug to get a filled with either a half pint or a pint. Herdsman's Bakery in Countess St made the best pies in the town and Bobby King ran the little convenience store on the corner of Argyle Road and Raise Street and Bobby sold just about everything!
John