Miss Mansell's Haberdashery

For those researching family in the three towns area.
Marjorie50
New Poster
New Poster

Miss Mansell's Haberdashery

Post by Marjorie50 »

Does anyone have any knowledge of Miss Mansell's Haberdashery, which I think was in Saltcoats. My late mother worked there in the 1930s. Thanks. Marjorie
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Miss Mansell's Haberdashery

Post by Penny Tray »

I have never heard of Miss Mansell's Haberdashery or come across any reference to it. However, the North Ayrshire Directory 1935-1936-1937 refers to a "Miss Maxwell's (not Mansell's), Drapery, at 36 Hamilton Street, Saltcoats." A Mr. John Maxwell, joiner, and Mrs. Mary Maxwell (presumably the parents of Miss Maxwell) are listed in the same publication as resident at 36A Hamilton Street.

If you're certain the name Mansell is correct, apologies for this useless information :lol:
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Marjorie50
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Marjorie50 »

Penny, thanks very much for this information. I was only a child when I heard of this and I may well have misheard it. The connection with joiners is interesting as there are joiners in my late dad's family and that might have been why he went to Saltcoats from Wishaw and met my mum. I now wonder if there are any photos of the shop. I'll keep up the search. Kind regards. Marjorie
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Looking at www.instantstreetview.com I see the shop is currently occupied by Mackenzie Way, Estate agent, and that the dwellinghouse door at 36A is still clearly numbered.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Marjorie,

Albeit a decade or so earlier than the period you're interested in, I reckon the shop and house are situated on the left of this postcard view, just about where the men are standing in a group.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185850343811 ... gJi7fD_BwE

Another view -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185850343827 ... gJusPD_BwE