Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ardrossan - On This Day In History

Post by Hughie »

Re: Previous Post Mrs J. Paterson.

The Paterson family lived through the wall from us when I was born in 1942, they at 9 and we at 11 Whitlees Crescent in Ardrossan. The mid-wife according to my aunt Elsie Hand who was also there was a lady by the name of McBride, a sister of Mrs Jeanie Paterson. I remember the Patersons moving up to 47 Kirkhall Drive when I was about 5 or 6.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
February 22, 1952

Cost Prohibitive

The Garden of Remembrance in Glasgow Street, Ardrossan, in the opinion of the Town Council, is not a suitable site for the war memorial which at present stands on South Beach Green. In any case the cost of removal and re-erection would be prohibitive. The local branch of the British Legion who made the request to the Council that the memorial be moved is to be notified of the decision,
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

February 24, 1952

Parkhouse Reservoir

The suggestion that Parkhouse reservoir might be abandoned as such, drained off and used as a controlled tip for refuse disposal was also considered by the committee, who recommended that consideration of this matter be deferred to a later date until the Council were satisfied that the supply of water to the burgh was properly safeguarded.

HORSE TROUGH.
The water manager reported that the cost of repairs to the horse trough in Glasgow Street would amount to £13. It was agreed to recommend that the repairs be carried out. All the recommendations contained in the minute were adopted by the Council.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

March 6, 1942

Taffy Was A Welshman

In my young days there was a rhyme in my school books that went like this:-

Taffy was a Welshman
Taffy was a thief
Taffy came to my house
And stole a lump of beef.

Another Taffy, he must surely be another, came to Ardrossan in a ship the other day and stole a model of the barque "Loch Torridon," in a glass case, from Nicoll's pub. Probably beef was not on show. In fact I'm sure it wasn't for I haven't seen it for months. If it had been mutton - but that would be another story.
However to get back to Taffy, or Albert Edward (how patriotic) Jenkins, second cook. He was in the boozer, along with others, seated at the fireplace, and when he left the model went too. Or that's how it turned out. He was intercepted at the entrance to the Harbour with the "doings" on him. Police-Judge Hunter fined him £2.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

March 10, 1950

Dog in car crash won race

Two greyhounds, Tripod and Glass, were being taken by their owner, Mr Renato Marroni of 111 Glasgow Street, Ardrossan, to run at Ayr Stadium on Monday, when the car in which they were travelling was involved in a collision with a motor lorry at Tam's Brig, Ayr. The car was overturned but Mr Marroni, a companion and the dogs emerged miraculously unhurt.

They proceeded to the track where Tripod won the first race, favourite at even money. Glass Iran in the sixth race but was unplaced.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

March 28, 1952

A Year's work at the Harbour

During the year 1951, 1,995 vessels arrived at the Port of Ardrossan, of which 167 were foreign going.
Imports were 672,744 tons comprising oils, ores, scrap and miscellaneous goods and exports were 260,770 tons composed of oils, coal, steel and miscellaneous goods principally for coast-wise destination. These figures are taken from the Ardrossan burgh surveyor's annual report.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

March 30, 1951

The Bell comes back to Ardrossan

In 1928 Ardrossan Fire Brigade got its first fire engine, a Dennis with solid tyres. Proud firemaster then was Mr Peter Dunn.
Since then there have been many changes. The Ardrossan Fire Brigade developed into the Ardrossan and District Fire Board. That Board eventually lost its identity in the National Fire Service which in turn gave way to the regional boards. In the course of these changes the old Dennis became obsolete and with it went the brass bell which once proclaimed to the citizens of Ardrossan that the fire brigade was going into action.

Now the bell has come back!
Polished up, suitably engraved and mounted on an oak stand, it was presented to the burgh last Friday by Firemaster Peter Dunn, O.B.E., of the South-West Scotland Regional Fire Board. Accepting on behalf of the burgh, Provost Beggs said, "It will be pleasant to look upon this bell and think back on the days when Ardrossan really pioneered in fire fighting in the county of Ayr."
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I wonder where the bell is now? Anyone know?
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Meekan, I think it was in the NA Heritage Centre years ago. I know they had an old fire engine. Maybe they can help.
Irene
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

April 7, 1911

Ardrossan

The exhibition of gas cookers and other gas- consuming appliances, organised by the Town Council of Ardrossan, has proved very successful. At the close of the exhibition about 200 appliances had been ordered by householders. These are supplied and fitted free of all charge by the Corporation, with the exception of gas fires, for which a nominal annual rent will be charged. It is hoped that as a result of the increased consumpt the Town Council may ultimately be able to reduce the price of gas.

The Ardrossan police, in assisting the census enumerators in taking note of persons lying out and on tramp, had occasion to apprehend 15 men for trespass at the Stevenston pits. These cases, along with five persons for being drunk, were dealt with at the Burgh and Justice of Peace Courts on Monday, and fine varying from 2s 6d to 25s were imposed.
Newheart
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Newheart »

Rebecca was my aunt (father's sister). I am now back in Ardrossan after many years away.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Newheart, welcome to threetowners. :) A bit confusing since there are about half a dozen Rabeccas mentioned in the posts in this section. If you could elaborate e.g. the date of the post you refer to. :puter