Fifa World Cup 2022

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Fifa World Cup 2022

Post by brian f »

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://ww ... hPo1pz7ZAC

Kicks off on Sunday. With the absence of Scotland (again) looking forward to an outsider performing well Australia, Wales etc. If i had to pick a winner i will go with Argentina.⚽
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Fifa World Cup 2022

Post by Penny Tray »

It must be about time for Brazil to come out tops again.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Australia's first match is against France (as it was in 2018). Melbourne/Sydney time 6am Wednesday - UK time 7pm Tuesday. Celtic are here in Oz at the moment.

Want to read what our members thoughts were on the 2018 World Cup.🏺 See Here
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

I can't remember ever a more low-key build-up from mainstream TV in 52 years of following the World Cup.
Are they embarrassed by the FIFA shenanigans, or by the host country's shenanigans, or is it that the matches are on pay-per-view now?
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

After England thrashing Iran 6-2 today i expect to see many more St George flags in my area... Up to last night i seen 1. :roll:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Is, nobody watching.. We need to forget about the politics and doom and gloom. For a little while.

Penny Tray, Your choice of winner is looking good after the 2-0 win against the Serbs early day's i know .. and not a patch on the old.But let's live in hope for we all could do with cheering up : Brazil
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Been watching a few replays during our daylight-time between working in the garden. Wife and I are about to watch the Wales Vs Iran match which should start in the next hour. I'm not really up with football this time around but enjoying the spectacle. Hoping Australia's Socceroos regroup for their second group match against Tunisia tomorrow - their second match.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Brian,

I agree with your assessment, Brazil looking good but a shadow of their former teams. Nobody should have been surprised either at Japan stunning Germany. The Japanese players that Celtic have introduced to Scotland have been outstanding, and presumably, although not necessarily, they're won't be the best in their homeland or they might have gone straight to the Premier League in England. Either that or Celtic have a brilliant scouting set-up, and persuasive negotiators.

Like Hughie, now settling down to watch Wales v. Iran, and looking forward to England v. U.S.A. later in the day.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Cannae get into this world Cup at all, watched a few games but it's just not right. Can't be bothered with the commentators fawning over Brazil, only outdone by their fawning over England(to be expected). Neymar is a fake, if he stays on his feet he's a world beater but for some reason he prefers the smell of the turf.
Haven't seen potential champs yet...France maybe? Or let's see Spain against a better team?
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Big party as i post in Melbourne as Australia defeat Denmark 1-0 (deservedly) to go through to the knockout round.Australia will next play Argentina, Poland or Saudi Arabia depending on later results.

Brilliant and well done to the Soccerooos ..especially the goalscorer from Melbourne Mathew Leckie and Harry Souttar (man of the match) from Aberdeen.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Brian,
Went to bed early and got up for the kick-off ⚽ at 2am here Melbourne time. Very impressed with big Harry Souter in defence and a very disciplined game by the whole team. Their next next opponents are Argentina 6am here on Sunday - that's 7pm Saturday night in the UK. Who knows what will happen next. :smt102 :puter
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

brian f wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:24 pm Big party as i post in Melbourne as Australia defeat Denmark 1-0 (deservedly) to go through to the knockout round.Australia will next play Argentina, Poland or Saudi Arabia depending on later results.

Brilliant and well done to the Soccerooos ..especially the goalscorer from Melbourne Mathew Leckie and Harry Souttar (man of the match) from Aberdeen.
Fantastic result.
With a team featuring names like Irvine, Souttar, Leckie, and McGree, the notion of the "floating supporter" was never going to get off the ground.