Rugby vs Football Standards

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Rugby vs Football Standards

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Lately, I have been watching Rugby AND Football games on YouTube and noted the following:
Todays footballers:
1. appear to be a bunch of "snowflakes". Go anywhere near them and down they go writhing in fake agony. Of course, five minutes later, they're running a 4-minute mile.
2. melee if they perceive a fellow teammate has been wronged. Chest to chest, forehead to forehead, pulling and shoving.
3. attempt to influence the referee by crowding him.
Yellow cards which should be RED!

How I wish football referees were more like those in Rugby. For example, a selection of comments to players:
"One more word from you and I will red card you! Now, step back! Do not test me!"
"You are the player, I am the Referee. My decision counts, yours is simply an opinion! Get back to the game!"
"Captain. Please advise your players I will red card any and all players who direct bad language at me!"

Regardless of the sport, players should be left in no doubt of the consequences of their actions!
Q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'30"E

"What language are you talking in now? It appears to be Bo**ocks."
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Rugby vs Football Standards

Post by brian f »

Jim, I think Penny Tray posted something similar a few years back about the discipline of Rugby Union players, which i totally agreed with. A bit of a long shot maybe these sportsmen had a better class of education and therefore agree with the laws of the game..
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

The YouTube highlights of Nigel Owens' career as a rugby ref are well worth watching.
One in particular shows him berating (of all people) Stuart Hogg - and for football-style "diving".
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

exile wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:59 pm The YouTube highlights of Nigel Owens' career as a rugby ref are well worth watching.
One in particular shows him berating (of all people) Stuart Hogg - and for football-style "diving".
Brian Moore, An intelligent guy by all accounts. Sacked by some tv company ... probably something to do with WOKE.

Do you know if Stuart is available for Scotland again soon.
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

brian f wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:36 pm
Do you know if Stuart is available for Scotland again soon.
Hogg had been sidelined for a couple of months with injury and has been substituted last couple of times as gets back into regular appearances at Exeter.
I hope he'll be back in contention for the 6 Nations squad, all going well over there.
The speedy Hogg we used to know at full-back for Scotland went missing when he was made captain, so we might see the man of old if Ritchie keeps the captaincy.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Apparently Hoggy is back in the team for Saturday.
Those wimin were in the nip.
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

bonzo wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:26 pm Apparently Hoggy is back in the team for Saturday.
Didn't know that... thanks, and I just saw that Richie Gray is back in too, who last featured about 5 prime ministers ago.
Strong-looking lineup.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo, exile- Hogg is a very talented player but not indispensable in my view. Young Ollie Smith from Prestwick who made his debut at 15 had a good game against the Aussies scoring a fine try.I read (Ollie)is not in the squad for tomorrow's game against Fiji which can be viewed live on Prime video at 13.00.