Saltcoats - On This Day In History

Published stories from each town's past.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Saltcoats - On This Day In History

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
October 12, 1951

Boy Rescued From Harbour.

Five-year-old Wm. Watt, of 29 Cunninghame Road, Saltcoats, was rescued from drowning at Saltcoats Harbour yesterday (Thursday). His rescuer was George Kelly, of 67. Manse Street.

The boy had been playing with companions on the rocks at the end of the harbour when he fell into the water. The alarm was raised by his playmates and Kelly entered the water and succeeded in bringing the boy ashore. The boy recovered after artificial respiration had been applied.

Awards presented, details in this post
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Ayrshire World
November 15, 1996

Twenty new jobs created

ICELAND Frozen Foods are to open a new store in The Braes, Saltcoats on November 19 with the creation of 20 new jobs. The first customer in the queue will win a brand new microwave and cut ✂️ the ribbon to open the store.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

November 28, 1952

21 Months For Whisky Thief

A Sentence of 21 months imprisonment was passed at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court on Monday on a Glasgow man who stole whisky and cigarettes valued at £335 from the Argyle Bar, Canal Street, Saltcoats, between 13th and 15th September.

The accused man was James Martin Smith, 106 George Street. The goods named in the charge were two jars of whisky, each containing six gallons, 106 bottles of whisky, and 1480 cigarettes. Smith admitted seven previous convictions.

The fiscal, Mr James Brown, said that a police constable on duty near the Argyle Bar in the early hours of the morning found two men carrying something out of a cellar in the Bar. He shone his torch on them whereupon they dropped what they were carrying (it turned out to be a box of whisky) and rushed back into the cellar, locking the door.

The constable summoned assistance, the bar was surrounded and Smith gave himself up. Some of the whisky was found lying at the entry to the cellar.

A statement written by Smith on his own behalf was handed to the Sheriff, Mr G. Cormack Cohen. Smith asked the Sheriff not to divulge what was in the statement and said he had been in prison for the past ten weeks.

Note: According to posts in the topic Miner's Home/Maple Leaf Hotel It was at one time named Argyle Bar.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Hughie wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:59 am Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
November 28, 1952

21 Months For Whisky Thief

A Sentence of 21 months imprisonment was passed at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court on Monday on a Glasgow man who stole whisky and cigarettes valued at £335 from the Argyle Bar, Canal Street, Saltcoats, between 13th and 15th September.
I wonder what the value of that haul would be nowadays. A lot of sore heads there.
mcgrattan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by mcgrattan »

Meekan

According to the Bank of England's inflation calculator, £335 in 1952 is the equivalent of £7667 today.

George
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

January 12, 1951

Nissen Huts To Go

Saltcoats Town Council has been granted a special allocation of 30 houses on condition that they are used directly or indirectly for rehousing families at present occupying the nissen huts at Dalry Road and High Road. Another condition is that the huts are to be demolished immediately after they are vacated.

The late Jimmy Laughlan's recollections on the Nissen Huts. See here https://threetowners.net/forum/viewtopi ... 20#p124320
douglaslsutherland
New Poster
New Poster

Post by douglaslsutherland »

PC201 James Lawson lived at 59 Corrie Crescent, Saltcoats. My family stayed at 47. Jimmy was married to Cathy had a daughter Catherine and son Campbell. There was two ‘police houses’ side by side the Mc Larens at 57.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Would that be Sargent Lawson ?- stayed at one time in the Saltcoats high flats?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Meekan,

I left this topic in case 'douglaslsutherland' wanted to come back in. Constable Jimmy Lawson, who lived in a 'police house' at 59 Corrie Crescent, did move to either Lambie Court or O'connor Court when he retired. Incidentally, I don't think he was ever Sergeant Lawson. He had all his promotion qualifications and was a very competent officer, but maybe elected not to accept promotion because to do so in those days inevitably meant moving from one police house to another (not always a better one), and from one town to another. It could be Saltcoats to Girvan in the snap of a finger. The big consideration for many officers was the desire not to disturb their children's schooling. And, having said this, the Chief Constable could still have transferred Jimmy from Saltcoats to Girvan as a constable. Declining promotion wasn't risk-free.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Penny
I could be wrong but I’m sure three guys started the same day Arthur Miles, Jack Wharton and Jimmy Lawson. Arthur Miles became Superintendent, Jack Wharton and Jimmy Lawson became sergeants. Jack and Arthur both worked in Volvo latterly where I worked and Jimmy some how was friendly with my late brother not sure where that connection came from maybe the church.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Meekan,

Arthur Miles was definitely a Chief Inspector. I might be wrong but I don't remember either Jimmy Lawson or Jack Wharton being sergeants.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

I recall him as "Sandy" Lawson. He was a tall slim man whose house was immediately adjacent to what was then St Brendan's Parish Church.
Q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'30"E

"What language are you talking in now? It appears to be Bo**ocks."