QUEEN ELIZABETH II

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

QUEEN ELIZABETH II

Post by Penny Tray »

Am I missing something, or can anyone point me, anywhere in the world, to a television channel, radio station, daily newspaper, weekly magazine, or social media site, other than Threetowners, which, a fortnight after the event, hasn't mentioned the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: QUEEN ELIZABETH II

Post by exile »

Penny Tray wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:57 pm Am I missing something, or can anyone point me, anywhere in the world, to a television channel, radio station, daily newspaper, weekly magazine, or social media site, other than Threetowners, which, a fortnight after the event, hasn't mentioned the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II?
I suspect it's either:
a) 3T-ers sensibly recognising that any sentiments expressed will be entirely redundant, having already been made by others, or,
b) it really isn't that important to them, hard as the rest of the world might find that to believe of the country in which she died
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Speaking for myself its just keeping my opinions to myself..
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

I did not know the Queen but she came across to me as a lovely person. A big credit to the people of Scotland the country of her death where she would hang her crown on the gate of the entrance to Balmoral and live like the local populace. Let her rip.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Penny Tray wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:57 pm Am I missing something, or can anyone point me, anywhere in the world, to a television channel, radio station, daily newspaper, weekly magazine, or social media site, other than Threetowners, which, a fortnight after the event, hasn't mentioned the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II?
PT, I did say to Bobby that I was surprised that there was no mention of Her Majesty’s passing when it happened on 3ts but I hadn’t looked at Threetowners for the last week.
I was taken back to the day that her Father passed away. I remember going home from school at lunchtime and my Father telling me that the King had died and before Iwent back to school he had put a black armband on my arm. I have no memory of the teacher talking about it in class but that armband has stuck with me.
I think the Queen did a great job and am amazed that she was still carrying out engagements up until 2 days before her passing.
Loved the pomp and ceremony of the funeral, just sad that so much focus has been on the family quarrels. Life is too short.
I hope Charles can honour the commitment as well as the Queen did.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Couldn't agree more with your sentiments, Brian and Netta; the Queen did her duty right to the end ( long past anyone's normal retirement age ), always with grace and dignity, and with increasing warmth into old age. She lived in a gilded cage, it's true, but it was still a cage; yet she never rattled the bars. We thought she would go on for ever; we were wrong. She will be sorely missed. I wish King Charles well; he's got a hard act to follow. And offer my condolences to him and the rest of the family.

Susan
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

PT,
Two comments from me;
For some reason there seems to be less discussions in general taking place on 3T recently, so perhaps the reason no comment has been made regarding the death of our late queen has just been part of this lethargy.
Or
A certain publican in Ardrossan would not allow discussions concerning Religion and Politics to take place in his pub. This subject has elements of both and while I am sure no such restrictions are evident in the 3T’s maybe people are reluctant to make comment in case someone is offended??
I am sad that her majesty has passed away and I am proud of the pomp and pageantry on show at her funeral. Someone remarked that Steven Spielberg couldn’t have arranged it better. Regarding the actions of the few anti royalists, it’s sad that however one feels about the royals a bit of respect was not shown.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

I completely agree with you, Meekan.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Thanks very much for these responses to what after all was a rhetoric question. I didn’t think anyone would be able to answer the question in the affirmative, and so it seems to have turned out. And after what is now three weeks, I still haven’t come across any television channel, radio station, daily newspaper, weekly magazine, or social media site, that didn’t mention the Queen’s passing.

The above seven replies are interesting, however, and give varying insights into how individuals were thinking. I was particularly drawn to Brian’s vision of Her Majesty hanging her crown on the gate of Balmoral in return for a wee degree of normality among the local population. She clearly loved Scotland, and that area in particular.

For me, it was simply about the death of an extraordinary ninety-six year old lady who didn’t ask to be born into a royal line, had less of an inclination to become Queen and only did so through the unexpected abdication of her uncle, and the untimely and premature death of her own father; it wasn’t about the existence or survival of the monarchy; not about her personal wealth, or land and property holdings; not about whether or not Scotland should become independent; not about whether or not Australia or any other Commonwealth country should have retained her as their Head of State, or broken away like others previously; not about the history and politics of Ireland; certainly nothing to do with football or football supporters; not about religion and her status as Defender of the Faith, principally the Church of England; not about her direct descendants and/or their spouses and children letting her down from time to time, some more than others; not about the cost of the monarchy to the public purse; not about any perceived misdeeds by the armed forces which carried her name; etc., etc., etc. It was simply, as I’ve said, about the reasonably anticipated but still unexpected death of an extraordinary ninety-six year old lady who inherited a throne which necessarily exists as part of the British Constitution, and who, in my opinion, irrespective of any personal thoughts I might have, for seven decades, from the very first day to the last, gave her all.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

Well said PT, I couldn't agree more.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Penny Tray wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:42 pm For me, it was simply about the death of an extraordinary ninety-six year old lady who didn’t ask to be born into a royal line, had less of an inclination to become Queen and only did so through the unexpected abdication of her uncle, and the untimely and premature death of her own father; it wasn’t about the existence or survival of the monarchy; not about her personal wealth, or land and property holdings; not about whether or not Scotland should become independent; not about whether or not Australia or any other Commonwealth country should have retained her as their Head of State, or broken away like others previously; not about the history and politics of Ireland; certainly nothing to do with football or football supporters; not about religion and her status as Defender of the Faith, principally the Church of England; not about her direct descendants and/or their spouses and children letting her down from time to time, some more than others; not about the cost of the monarchy to the public purse; not about any perceived misdeeds by the armed forces which carried her name; etc., etc., etc. It was simply, as I’ve said, about the reasonably anticipated but still unexpected death of an extraordinary ninety-six year old lady who inherited a throne which necessarily exists as part of the British Constitution, and who, in my opinion, irrespective of any personal thoughts I might have, for seven decades, from the very first day to the last, gave her all.
What you have written above, Penny Tray is the Queen's job description. I agree with you that - separate from any thoughts of monarchy, wealth, religion, politics and so on - she fulfilled her role to an extremely high standard.

George