Turn back time

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Turn back time

Post by Penny Tray »

He guaranteed he could get you to win the football pools :lol: .
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Penny Tray wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:58 pm He guaranteed he could get you to win the football pools :lol: .
The power of advertising - remember everything about the advert apart from the product!
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

The pictures :)

Ok by the time the adverts finished- you had ate all the snacks, wishing you could afford an ice-cream.

I remember the backs of the seats had what looked like built in ashtrays and the building had many lit up exits. When was smoking banned in the cinemas.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

What about this Brian?....

Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

That's the one bonzo- great memories👏👏
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I have vivid memories of the LYRIC - Princes Stret, Ardrossan - admission by way of cash or 1 x empty 2lb jam jar or 2 x 1lb jam jars - to see THE WIZARD OF OZ; FLASH GORDON; OLD MOTHER RILEY; CALAMITY JANE; and THE VIKINGS. Them were the days :lol: .

Also visited the Regal, La Scala, and Countess in Saltcoat. I think Stevenston had two cinemas, but I was never there.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Penny Tray wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:13 pm I have vivid memories of the LYRIC - Princes Stret, Ardrossan - admission by way of cash or 1 x empty 2lb jam jar or 2 x 1lb jam jars - to see THE WIZARD OF OZ; FLASH GORDON; OLD MOTHER RILEY; CALAMITY JANE; and THE VIKINGS. Them were the days :lol: .

Also visited the Regal, La Scala, and Countess in Saltcoat. I think Stevenston had two cinemas, but I was never there.
I remember 1 1/2d down to Princess Street on the bus, 3d to get into the Lyric and 1 1/2d on the bus back up - 6d for a great Saturday afternoon - with an additional 3d to spend. We couldn’t afford every week, but it was really something to look forward to. The earliest one I think remember was Jailhouse Rock with Elvis, in black and white!
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Penny Tray wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:13 pm I have vivid memories of the LYRIC - Princes Stret, Ardrossan - admission by way of cash or 1 x empty 2lb jam jar or 2 x 1lb jam jars - to see THE WIZARD OF OZ; FLASH GORDON; OLD MOTHER RILEY; CALAMITY JANE; and THE VIKINGS. Them were the days :lol: .

Penny Tray, I'm intrigued that you could gain entrance with jam jars- could you provide further details :)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Brian,

I only know about it because it was a personal experience. I always understood, rightly or wrongly, that the Lyric Cinema management had an arrangement with Ardrossan Co-operative management to retrieve their jars.

The following item suggests that I am not alone in this recollection: -

http://goingtothepictures.org.uk/exchan ... -entrance/
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I can’t say I remember it personally but I had heard that jeely jaurs could get you into the Lyric. I always paid my 5d for the matinee and 9d at night time. PTs logic makes sense in that the early years after the war every thing was in short supply and lots of things were reused. Before milk for example was sold in glass bottles you would take your jug and have it filled either at the dairy or off the milk cart.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Penny Tray, Meekan

You guys forget nothing -so knowledgeable 👍
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Moving to a brand new council house with all the modern amenities - WRINGER, PULLEY, and LARDER.