Swim - Inches to Saltcoats Pool

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Swim - Inches to Saltcoats Pool

Post by Penny Tray »

I came across this photo which I assume is connected to the 'Swimming Pool' event. Although I can't name them, I recognise two of the girls as members of the Saltcoats Amateur Swimming Club. I reckon the time is around the early 60s.

http://ardrossanships.com/image/show?id=419&gallery=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
paulgio
Settling In
Settling In

Post by paulgio »

Love the photo...don't recognise any of the people. Hopefully someone will see it and be able to identify....

Rae
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

Referring back to the diving. I recall seeing guys diving from the top of the turret at the end of Saltcoats harbour. It must be about 20 feet - scary enough (at least for me) - but the really scary part was the very small area of deep water wedged between rock 'cliffs' that they were aiming for. Any small slip would have been disasterous. Just looking over the parapet made my stomach churn. This would have been late fifties or early sixties. Any of you done it?
geomacintyre
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by geomacintyre »

According tohttp://ardrossanships.com the four swimmers are Beth Fullarton, Beverley Bruce, Alastair Dowding and Marion Bain.
What we do for ourselves alone dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. - Albert Pine
unicornheart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by unicornheart »

talking about diving , i remember going as a young girl with my parents to Saltcoats bathing pond and someone jumped off diving board and split his head ? it looked bad but as i was young i never found out if said person survived as it looked really bad, would anyone know of this incident?? it always bothered me.
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

That reminds me - the brother (Edgar?) of my best friend Stewart Robertson rode his bike of the side of the pier at Saltcoats and ended up with a number of stitches. That would have been somewhere between 1952 ad 55. Anybody remember reading about it? Wee Ali
Waterbaby#
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Waterbaby# »

Yes Swimming the Inches did happen. I did the swim circa 65/66 got a season ticket for the pool every year from when I learned to swim when I was 9 or 10 and spent all my Summer holidays there. There were a few volunteers (parents) who would help run the Club and they organised Swimming Gala's, Christmas parties/ disco's etc. The same folk organised the Inches swim. The swimmers had to be competent and have parental permission " my Mum said Yes" 😉. We were accompanied there and back across the bay by adults in a small motor boat. On our return photos were taken and we were given a certificate. I don't know how long it lasted, but as H&S, Risk assessment crept in these adventures became past tense and just memories.