Turn back time

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Turn back time

Post by Meg »

Penny Tray wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:25 pm
Meg wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:24 pm
Penny Tray wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:18 am It's strange but I associate the "Co-Quarter" with new shoes too - from the Co-op, of course - contained in a box, wrapped in shiny brown paper, and tied securely with string for carrying purposes. Happy days.
Which was carefully unwrapped and the brown paper used to cover my reading book when school started again after the summer.
And the string, along with a carefully cut tree branch or 1d cane, completed many a bow. The arrow was usally a ha'penny cane.
I’ve still got the scar on my leg where my brother Ian’s “arrow” hit me. Think he was grounded for a month :lol:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Meg wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:24 pm
Penny Tray wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:18 am It's strange but I associate the "Co-Quarter" with new shoes too - from the Co-op, of course - contained in a box, wrapped in shiny brown paper, and tied securely with string for carrying purposes. Happy days.
Which was carefully unwrapped and the brown paper used to cover my reading book when school started again after the summer.
Meg- Thanks for the memory- The girls would certainly go to extreme measures to have the best homemade book covers.

Now apologies for the sexist comments thats how it was at that time
Sitting on Saltcoats beach on a hot day drinking Tennents lager arguing with my pals who had the nicest (Model) on the can while gradually moving closer to the gorgeous talent nearby.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

REPORT CARDS from the school, which a parent had to sign. I bet there were a few forgeries :roll:
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

No forgeries at my house 😇 - girlie swot //funny
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Going to the Moorings ballroom in Largs on Saturday nights, where an orchestra would be playing while we danced. Something quite unheard of nowadays.
Running after a brides car leaving home hoping to get coins thrown out of the window by the brides father.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

glenshena wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:15 pm Going to the Moorings ballroom in Largs on Saturday nights, where an orchestra would be playing while we danced. Something quite unheard of nowadays.
Running after a brides car leaving home hoping to get coins thrown out of the window by the brides father.
Scramble or bell money?
Those wimin were in the nip.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

I remember the dividends, though they were only paid on what you spent in the shops. We were a family of five and had our milk delivered daily by the cooperative milkman. You paid for your milk on a Saturday morning when the milkman came round. If you paid in cash you got no dividend. The solution here was to buy Co-operative Tokens with a cash value. Mum would go into the Co-op and maybe spend three or four pounds on tokens. You earned your dividend on the tokens when you bought them. They were injection moulded, made of plastic and had monetary denominations on them, some of them varied in colour. I remember the ten shilling one, the five shilling one, the two shilling one, the one shilling, the sixpence, the threepence. the penny and even a halfpenny. You paid the milkman with the tokens. If you didn't have the right amount in tokens and gave him more that what was owed you would get your change in tokens. If he didn't have the right amount in tokens to give you your change you would get the small change in cash. I know you could still use the tokens in the shop but got no dividend for what was spent and it had already been issued with the purchase of the tokens.

Wee Boney
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

bonzo wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:33 pm
glenshena wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:15 pm Going to the Moorings ballroom in Largs on Saturday nights, where an orchestra would be playing while we danced. Something quite unheard of nowadays.
Scramble or bell money?
It was an important part of a boy's of life in the 1950s to know from which house a bride would be leaving on a Saturday :lol: . And living near the Park Church, in Dalry Road, Ardrossan, was an added bonus.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Penny Tray wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:01 pm
bonzo wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:33 pm
Scramble or bell money?
It was an important part of a boy's of life in the 1950s to know from which house a bride would be leaving on a Saturday :lol: . And living near the Park Church, in Dalry Road, Ardrossan, was an added bonus.
Bell money is interesting - we called it a scramble for bowl (pronounced bowel) money I think because there was a saucer or wee bowl that the coppers were collected in in the weeks leading up to the wedding. Elfing safety wouldn’t allow a scramble now.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

When Bobby and I were leaving the Church here in Australia after our wedding he threw out the ‘bell’ money.
Not one child made any attempt to gather it up.
Obviously none of them were Scottish. Our Scottish guests had to tell them to see how much they could get.
Happened to be at a church dinner many years later and this gentleman came up to us and said he remembered seeing us get married and that we threw money out of the car as we left the church. Felt really old as he went on to tell us he was now a grandfather, he was a little boy of about 4 or 5 when we married.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Listening to the TOP TWENTY on Radio Luxembourg - 11 to midnight on a Sunday night - (usually under a blanket with an ear-piece in a transistor radio)(when your mother thought you were sleeping).
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Penny Tray wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:17 pm Listening to the TOP TWENTY on Radio Luxembourg - 11 to midnight on a Sunday night - (usually under a blanket with an ear-piece in a transistor radio)(when your mother thought you were sleeping).
… and the signal coming and going like the tide was coming in. Remember Horace Batchelor, from Keynsham - spelt K E Y N ….. I don’t even know what Mr Batchelor was advertising!