Co-Numbers

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Co-Numbers

Post by Penny Tray »

5015 - always said as "fifty-fifteen" - never forgotten - and wasn't the Co Dividend a time of joy in most households, along with the rebate from the gas/electric meters - I can see the column of single shillings on the mantelpiece to this day!

What was it they put in that machine in the Co-Op too. Did they write a wee chitty with the amount of your purchases at send it whizzing with a clunk to the administration offices up the stairs so your dividend could be calculated at the end of the "quarter"?

"Appro" is another word that comes to mind from the Co-Op. Did you get things out the clothes and shoe shops on "appro" ("approval" I guess) (giving you the opportunity to take them back if they didn't suit the person for whom they were intended? Your dads, in these days, were never available to go to the shops themselves.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Ours was easy:

"A pound of mince, a pound of stew,
9122"

Say it aloud!

Jim McCreadie
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Here's that receipt I mentioned; the membership number is quite high, in the 9000s, because for some reason my mother didn't join until 1957.
Co-op membership receipt.jpg
Susan
Last edited by down south on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

When I was a young boy my uncle Tam often used the expression "it was the biggest tragedy since the Co Quarter", but I was never sure what that meant.