Stevenston gassworks.

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
francie1
New Poster
New Poster

Stevenston gassworks.

Post by francie1 »

I was born in Gasworks Close in 1944. The gasometers were at the end of the close and I used to play at them, a bit smelly.
It was between Maxwell the dentist and Harry Donnelly's sweetie shop.
There was also a blacksmith(smiddy) in the close, my granda worked there for a while.
I remember mum telling a story of the day the house went totally dark. There was a circus in town and an elephant had a problem of some sort.
The circus trainer brought the elephant to the smiddy's to get fixed and it sat on the window sill of our wee house and blocked out the light.
When I was wee my mum packed me a sandwich and I went to work at the Smiddys, I said I was a man boy.
Gasworks close was where the Bonnie Leslie Home is now and the Stevenston burn flowed by the back door.
The house was a room and kitchen, outside toilet and I used to get bathed in the wash house tub, with a burner underneath to heat the water.
I remember mum carrying me back into the house wrapped up in a towel.
Jock Thampson(great laugh) and Mary lived next door. Jock had a horse and cart for his fruit and veg business, they moved to Moorpark Road East.
Does anyone have a photo of that area, I would love to see it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Stevenston gassworks.

Post by Penny Tray »

Enjoyed that Francie!
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

francie1 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:10 pm Does anyone have a photo of that area, I would love to see it.
Hi Francie, This is a photo taken by Lou West when doing repairs on the toon clock, we think in 1991. It shows the area where the gasworks once was. It was discussed earlier Here

Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 0802 »

What was on the site where James frew/gasure is when this pic was taken?
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

0802 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:08 pm What was on the site where James frew/gasure is when this pic was taken?
0802, It's quite an interesting pic from the early 90's.

If you look near to the upper left area you'll see a rather large apex roofed building. That building is still there and is actually a part of the James Frew/ Gas Sure premises - maybe a workshop or warehouse. So to answer your question, I believe James Frew/Gas Sure was already there at 83 New Street at the time.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 0802 »

Kittywake wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:05 am
0802 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:08 pm What was on the site where James frew/gasure is when this pic was taken?
0802, It's quite an interesting pic from the early 90's.

If you look near to the upper left area you'll see a rather large apex roofed building. That building is still there and is actually a part of the James Frew/ Gas Sure premises - maybe a workshop or warehouse. So to answer your question, I believe James Frew/Gas Sure was already there at 83 New Street at the time.
That was the building that caught my eye and made me wonder. There’s also a few buildings behind the pop inn as well it seems. Your right it’s quite a fascinating little picture.
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

Here's a Street View pic from earlier today - taken by Google in 2016.
It's the vehicle entrance to Gas Sure, the building in the original pic can be seen a bit to the left of centre in the background.

floydian slip
Settling In
Settling In

Post by floydian slip »

The Gas works were on boglemart Street I'm sure , behind bonnie Leslie Court.
It was also the burrough yard , the shops in the front street across from the old co-op were nielies newspaper shop , boyds shop , butter , cheese veg etc and then there was a little sowing shop if my memory serves 🤔.
I used to get such a cuff on the ear for playing in the gasy works and burrough yard as well as the local dump and the CHEESY HILL.
Piling mattresses from the dump up and launching ourselves off the cheesy Hill 🤯🤣.
Good days , as kids we were never in except for tea.
Changed days