Veronica

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
joantoyboy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

veronica

Post by joantoyboy »

hope i am in the right forum ,does any one remember veronica she had newspapershop in countess st., one the top of canal st., and i think one in stevenston at the crossthe bus stop i hear she died last week , i remember her selling news papers outside the chapel on a sunday and father o,conner telling her she had to sell them outside the grounds , i also hear she was very good to the church, does any one remember father burke ,loved that man . :lol: joan
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: veronica

Post by Mitchy »

joantoyboy wrote:hope i am in the right forum ,does any one remember veronica she had newspapershop in countess st., one the top of canal st., and i think one in stevenston at the crossthe bus stop i hear she died last week , i remember her selling news papers outside the chapel on a sunday and father o,conner telling her she had to sell them outside the grounds , i also hear she was very good to the church, does any one remember father burke ,loved that man . :lol: joan
I remember Veronica. I think her surmane was Hendren or Henderon? Her husband was called Joe. Apart from the shops you mentioned she owned six flats in Countess St above the shop. In her later years she owned the St Frances Guest House in Montgomerie Crescent.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Veronica

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
January 25, 1952

Veronica Pleads Not Guilty

Well-known Saltcoats, newsagent, Mary Veronica McDougall or Hendren, who trades under the name Veronica' at Canal Street, appeared at Ardrossan Burgh Court on Monday and tendered a plea of not guilty to two charges of contravening the Children and Young Persons (Scotland) Act.

It is alleged that she employed two boys, aged fourteen and sixteen, to sell newspapers in the street.
Trial was fixed for Monday, 4th February, when, it is understood, Veronica' will conduct her own defence.

Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
May 9, 1952
Veronica Understands The Law Better

When Saltcoats newsagent, Mrs Hendren (Veronica') was convicted at Ardrossan Burgh Court on February 4 this year on a charge of employing young persons under the age of 17 years as street news-vendors sentence was deferred for three months.

She appeared before the court again on Monday. when the fiscal, Mr J. Gallie, reported that Mrs Hendren had not been before the court on any other charges since. "It seems she now understands the law better than she did before," he said. There had been no complaints made against her by retailers or others.

Mrs Hendren assured the court that, so far as she was concerned, it would not happen again and Treasurer Hogarth who presided on the bench dismissed her with an admonition. A further similar charge which was pending was withdrawn by the fiscal.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:51 am Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
January 25, 1952

Mrs Hendren assured the court that, so far as she was concerned, it would not happen again.....

My sides are sore laughing :lol:
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I'm thinking that in past research I've come across mention that Glasgow city newspaper re-sellers used to drop off boys to sell newspapers in the our local streets. I wonder if this was a territorial thing with Veronica. I knew her 'cause I had great liking for exchange and mart uk back then and would be there in Countess Street to get the latest edition when it appeared.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

If I remember correctly at one point her husband went to Glasgow to pick up the papers, latterly he would pick them up from Kilwinning Station from the Ayr train as it was before the Largs one

There was a "Territorial Issue" with various items , papers generally went to Kilmornock , Gigarettes went via Starks at one point But others moved in,
Some cameras

Don't you just miss pre-Amazon