Christmas During Wartime

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Christmas During Wartime

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
December 25, 1942

From Hugo's Column

In recent weeks, writes our reporter, I have wondered, increasingly and unceasingly, at the number of motor lorries (especially those owned by the military); horse-drawn lorries, motor and pedal cycles that seem to think it right and proper to proceed on the roads without lights after 8 a.m. But all this wonder was eclipsed on Wednesday morning after eight, when I was proceeding eastward along Parkhouse Road, Ardrossan, at the farm, and had to serve violently to avoid running down what looked like a platoon of soldiers, proceeding Westward, three abreast. In doing so, I nearly hamstrung a horse ridden by one galoot and led by another, all three of whom were also proceeding, in line abreast as they say it sea, in the same direction as the soldiers and on the opposite side of the road. There was no visible indication of the presence of any of them. And we wonder why folk are killed in the black-out.

PINCHED A BOAT. A local man, who is manager of a firm in Princes Street, Ardrossan, and, during his spare time, he was making boat to slip into a Bottle for friend. As there is a lot of work in this kind of model it took a long time to make. When the boat was almost complete he lost the key of the store, someone found the key and pinched the boat and also a watch.

CHRISTMAS SHOPPING. The shops in the four towns are busy as most people are doing their Christmas shopping. Home made toys are in demand, but the prices asked for such articles in some shops are beyond reason. Some of them are well made and looks equal to any factory toy, but others are poorly finished, and the prices are too high. This get rich quick business seems to be the fashion all over, and what is more - they are getting away with it.