Some Herald BMD from the 60s and 70s

For those researching family in the three towns area.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Some Herald BMD from the 60s and 70s

Post by down south »

Now we come to the Deaths reported in the Herald of June 28th 1968.

DEATHS

ARNOTT - At Kilmarnock Infirmary on June 24 1968, John Arnott, aged 73 years, of 63 Hayocks Road, Stevenston, beloved husband of the late Annie Wright.

BALLANTYNE - At Colchester on June 17 1968, Margaret Mary, dearly beloved only daughter of William and Margaret Paton, 27 Buchan Road, Troon, and loving mother of Lynn and Stuart. Sadly missed. Funeral to Troon Cemetery today ( Friday ). Friends wishing to attend please meet cortege at cenetery gates at 3 pm.

BARCLAY - At Roseville, Michigan, on June 19 1968, Maggie McCallum, aged 75, beloved wife of the late Edward Barclay and dear sister of Mrs Annie Chapman, 14 Kirkland Crescent, Dalry. Severed only till He comes.

DUNN - Suddenly, at 35 Dudley Avenue, Edinburgh, on June 21 1968, George Wilson Dunn, dearly loved husband of Agnes Fleming McDonald, formerly of ? Canal Street, Saltcoats, and dear father of Ray Campbell and Marion ? .

FERGUSON - At Kilmarnock Infirmary on June 24 1968, Robert Ferguson, aged 68 years, beloved husband of Isabella Kinnaburgh, 7 McKillop Place, Saltcoats.

KIRKWOOD - Suddenly, at Kilmarnock Infirmary, on June 25 1968, Helen Keary, aged 64 years, beloved wife of William James Kirkwood, 29 Houston Crescent, Dalry.
Acknowledgements - Mr W J Kirkwood and family wish to thanks all relatives, friends and neighbours and Mrs Smillie for kind expressions of sympathy received in their recent bereavement ; also special thanks to Sister Spence, doctors and nursing staff of Ward 2, Kilmarnock Infirmary; also Dr Watt and Mr J Millar, ambulance driver, for kind attention, Mr J Campbell for services rendered and Mr A Hawthorn, C0-operative, for funeral arrangements. 29 Houston Crescent, Dalry.

McGRATH - At 56 Milton Road, Kilbirnie, on June 26 1968, Jean Donnelly, aged 69 years, beloved wife of John McGrath. Fortified by the rites of the Holy Church. RIP.

MAIR - At Kilmarnock Infirmary on June 24 1968, John (Ian ) Mair, beloved husband of Agnes Gilchrist, 40 Collenan Avenue, Loans, by Troon, and son of Mr and Mrs Hector W Mair , Hillhouse Lodge, Dundonald. No letters, please.

TERRY - At 115 Barrie Terrace, Ardrossan, on June 24 1968, Alfred Norman Terry, dearly loved husband of Jean Dow and dear father of Norman and Jean.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

The rest of the Acknowledgements now from June 28 1968.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

BRYCE - The family of the late Janet Bryce wish to thank all friends, relatives and neighbours for for kind expressions of sympathy and floral tributes received in their recent bereavement; also the staff of Ailsa Hospital for kind attention, Rev R Kirkland for services rendered, and Mr A Hawthorn, Co-operative, for funeral arrangements.- 93 St Margaret Avenue, Dalry.

GARVEN - Mrs Garven, Janice and Jim wish to thank most sincerely relatives, friends and neighbours for kind expressions of sympathy and beautiful floral tributes, letters and cards received in their recent sad bereavement ; also Rev James Kerr, W & R Smith and the many friends who paid their last respects at the cemetery. - Foreside, Beith.

JARDINE - Mrs Walker and Mrs Fulton wish to thank all relatives, friends, neighbours for kind expressions of sympathy and floral tributes received in their recent and sad bereavement; also doctors for kind attention and Rev Maxwell for services rendered, and J & R Smith for funeral arrangements. - 26 Beech Avenue, Beith.

REID - Mr A Reid, Willie and Nancy wish to thank all friends, relatives and neighbours , office-bearers and members of Love Memorial Hall and Irvine and Fullarton Darts League for kind expressions of sympathy and floral tributes received in in their bereavement ; also Dr Gibb, Dr Hardie , sisters, nurses and staff of Pavilion 10, Ayrshire Central Hospital for kind attention; Rev James Roy for services rendered and SCWS for funeral and catering arrangements . - 50 Moncur Road, Kilwinning.

RIBBECK - Mrs I Ribbeck and family and Miss Bessie wish to thank most sincerely all relatives, friends and neighbours for floral tributes and letters of sympathy received in their recent bereavement ; also doctors and hospital staff. - Ardgowan Cottage, Brodick, Isle of Arran.

SMITH - The family of the late Margaret Smith wish to thank most sincerely Rev Fr C Burke and and Rev Fr Flynn for services rendered ; also Bros of SVDP Society, Senior and Junior Conferences, relatives, friends and neighbours for mass cards, floral tributes and kind expressions of sympathy in their recent bereavemant; also thanks to doctors in attendance and Mr Reid for funeral arrangements. - 5 Garden Square, Kilwinning.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Finally in the notices from June 28 1968, we come to In Memoriam. Again I'll spread these over several posts.

IN MEMORIAM

BARR - In loving memory of my dear mother, Susan, who died June 22 1967; also my dear father, William, who died February 1959.
Too dearly loved to be forgotten.
Inserted by Sammy, Cathie and family, 157 Hayocks Road, Stevenston.

CAMERON - In loving memory of my dear niece, Margaret McPhee, died July 1 1959.
She lives for ever in our hearts
Beloved and unforgotten.
Inserted by Aunt Margaret and Uncle Peter.

Always remembered.
- Jane, Jim and family.

In loving memory of our dear daughter, Margaret, wife of Robert Cameron, who died on July 1 1959, aged 24.
We had a daughter with a heart of gold,
How much we miss her can never be told .
They say time heals, but that's not true,
Oh Margaret dear, how we long for you.
Goodnight darling.
Inserted by her loving mammy and daddy , Mr and Mrs J McPhie, 54 Glencairn Street, Stevenston.

Always remembered.
- Jean and Tom, Renfrew.

She lives for ever in our hearts,
Beloved and unforgotten.
- Betty, Robert and family.

CLEGG - Remembering my mother with love, Rachel McGimpsey, died June 27 1965.
It was a warm sunny day,
God opened up his sky,
The time for pain was over,
With his hands he closed your eyes.
Inserted by her daughter Betty, John and grandchildren, 9 Morville Crescent, Kilwinning.

COPLAND - In memory of our dear friend, Charles Copland, died June 30 1967.
Remembered always.
Billy, Jean and family, 21 Craigdene Drive, Stevenston.

DICKIE - In loving memory of our dear son and brother, Robert, died June 27 1966.
Wherever we go, whatever we do,
We shall always love and remember you.
Inserted by Mam, Papa, Margaret and Tommy.

In loving memory of my dear husband and our father, Robert Dickie, died June 27 1966.
Always remembered.
Inserted by his loving wife and daughter Margaret, 17 Links Road, Saltcoats; also his daughter Martha, son-in-law Don, granddaughter Morag, Michigan, USA.

Treasured memories.
Inserted by George and Ann Marie.

Goodnight Papa.
Inserted by wee Robert and wee John.

Too dearly loved to be forgotten.
Inserted by his daughter Joan and son-in-law Gordon.

Treasured memories of our dear brother and uncle, Robert Dickie, died June 27 1966.
You went away without goodbye,
But memories of you will never die.
Inserted by Betty and family.

Fondly remembered.
Inserted by George, Jean and family.

DONALDSON - In loving memory of my dear husband and our father, Gregor Donaldson, who died June 29 1965.
Life goes on, I know that's true,
But not the same since I lost you.
Inserted by his wife Jenny and family, Stevenston, Saltcoats and Falkirk.

DUFF - In loving memory of my dear wife and our dear mother, Maggie H Duff, died June 28 1966.
Not a day do I forget her
In my heart she is ever dear;
We who loved her sadly miss her
As it dawns another year.
Inserted by her loving husband Charlie, Baldock, Herts.

What lovely hours we once enjoyed,
? her memory still;
But she has left a loneliness
The world can never fill.
Inserted by her daughter Margaret, son-in-law Charlie and family, 56 Ivanhoe Drive, Saltcoats.

You went away without goodbye,
But memories of you will never die.
Inserted by her daughter Sally, son-in-law Alex and family, 32 Adams Avenue, Saltcoats.

FANCIE - In loving memory of my wife and my dear mother, Agnes Boyle Shields, who died June 29 1967.
Sadly missed.
Inserted by her husband and family, 32 Ford Avenue, Dreghorn, and 24 Bilby Terrace, Irvine.

Goodnight, Gran.
- Ann and David.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

IN MEMORIAM ( continued )

GUINEY - In loving memory of my dear mother, died June 27 1965.
You suffered with courage,
We knew not your pain,
You fought to get well,
But all was in vain.
Inserted by Sandra and Martin.

In loving memory of my dear sister, Agnes, died June 27 1965.
Loving memories treasured ever,
Of days when we were all together.
Inserted by Martha, Willie and family, also Meg and Bill, South Africa.

HAMILTON - In loving memory of my dear husband and father, Tom Hamilton, who died July 1 1964.
If all the world were mine to give
I would give it and more ,
To see the face of the one I loved
Come smiling through the door.
It's not the tears we shed at the time ,
That tell of the hearts that are broken,
It's the lonesome tears in after years
When the loved one's name is spoken.
Inserted by his loving Wife and Daughter.

IRVING - To the cherished memory of our dear mother Agnes Knox, died June 26 1967; also our dear father John, died September 12 1967.
This month comes with sad regret
It brings back a day we won't forget,
You fell asleep without goodbye,
But memories of you will never die .
To hear your voice , to see you smile,
To sit and talk to you both a while
To be together in the same old way,
Would be our dearest wish today.
Inserted by John, Granville, Evelyn, Roy and their families.

LAWSON - In loving memory of my dear husband, Alexander Lawson, died June 28 1966.
God's greatest gift is remembrance.
Inserted by his loving wife Tilda, 55 Longbar, Glengarnock.

To the treasured memory of my dear Dad, died June 28 1966.
Always remembered.
Inserted by Betty, David and family.

LEITH - In memory of Elizabeth Leith, who died July 1 1953.
Ever remembered.
Inserted by her sister Kate.

MACDONALD - In loving memory of my dear husband John H Macdonald, who died on June 26 1966.
What lovely hours we once enjoyed,
How sweet their memory still,
But they have left a loneliness
The world can never fill.
Inserted by his wife Jean and family at home and abroad.

McCAFFERTY - Treasured memories of my dear daughter Nan,who died June 26 1958; also my dear husband Hugh, died August 26 1965.
Remembered always.
Inserted by his loving Wife and Mother, 61 Bathville Road, Kilbirnie.

McCANN - In memory of my father, Bernard McCann, died July 1 1965.
He lives for ever in our hearts.
Inserted by Mary Danny, Doris, Brian, 116 Ardoch Crescent, Stevenston.

McCALL - In loving memory of my dear wife and mother, Mary J McBlane, died June 30 1960.
Always remembered.
Inserted by her husband and daughter Ann, 38 Townend Street, Dalry.

McCLURE - In loving memory of my dear husband and our daddy, Patrick McClure, died June 26 1964.
Treasured memories.
Inserted by his loving wife Jean,sons Raymond and William.

Susan
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Tom Hamilton, who lived in Sharphill Road, Saltcoats, was the former Rangers goalkeeper. He won 5 League Championships, 4 Scottish Cups, and was capped for Scotland against England at Wembley in April 1932.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Thanks for that interesting information, PT.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

The last of the In Memoriams from the Herald of June 28 1968.

IN MEMORIAM ( concluded )

McMILLAN - In loving memory of my dear Husband and Father, died June 29 1967.
Sadly missed.
Inserted by his loving Wife and family.

MURPHY - In loving memory of our dear brother-in-law, Matthew Murphy, died July 3 1967.
Always remembered.
- David, Celia and family.

In fond remembrance of Matt.
-David and family.

ROBERTSON - In loving memory of our dear son, Jim, died June 24 1950.
Treasured memories .
Inserted by his Mum and Dad, 22 O'Connor Court, Saltcoats.

Remembered always .
Inserted by Gran and Aunt Betty.

Always in our thoughts .
Inserted by Gran, Aunt Jessie and Uncle Findlay.

NELSON - In loving memory of my dear husband and our dear father, Adam Nelson, who died June 20 1965; also my dear sons and our brothers, James D Nelson, died February 27 1943, and Adam J C Nelson, HLI [ Highland Light Infantry ] , killed in action January 18 1945.
Faith looks beyond this time of grief and pain ,
Love still abides - and we shall meet again.
Inserted by his loving wife and family, 29 Longbar Avenue, Glengarnock.

NORWOOD - In loving memory of my dear husband and father, James J Norwood, died June 29 1956.
Like falling leaves the years slip by,
But loving memories never die.
Inserted by his loving wife and Alex, 11 The Braes, Saltcoats.

Always remembered.
- Billy and Margaret, Saltcoats.

Ever in our thoughts.
-Arthur and Betty, Leeds.

Treasured memories.
- Jim and Maryline, Ardrossan.

O'SULLIVAN - In loving memory of dear brother Lawrence, died June 28 1965.
Always remembered.
Inserted by William , Nan, Sadie and Family.

SHARP - In loving memory of my dear father, Thomas Sharp, died June 4 1946; also my dear mother, Catherine Ferguson, died June 28 1963.
Ever remembered.
- Jim, Irene and family.

Ever in our thoughts .
- David, Cathie, Irene and Hugh.

STRAIN - In loving memory of my dear father, Alex, died July 7 1962.
Always remembered.
Inserted by Jean, Roy, Ann, Julie, Sheffield.

TAIT - In loving memory of our dear mother, Margaret Edgar, who died June 28 1964; also our dear father, William Tait, died December 13 1941.
Like falling leaves the years slip by,
But loving memories never die.
Inserted by all the Family at home and abroad.

THOMPSON - In loving memory of our dear brother John, died June 26 1944, aged 14 years.
When for vanished days we yearn,
Days that never can return,
Teach us in thy love to learn,
Love for evermore.
Inserted by his loving sisters, Margaret and Nessie.

YOUNG - In loving memory of our dear son and brother, Signaller George Young, RA, killed in action in Italy , June 30 1944, aged 23 years. Interred in Orvieto Cemetery.
A leaf in the book of memories
Is gently turned today.
He was ours and we remember.
Inserted by his loving mother, father and sisters, 53 Main Street, West Kilbride.

In loving memory of our dear brother George, killed in Italy June 30 1944.
This day we do remember,
And loving thoughts I give,
To a brother no longer with us
But in our hearts still lives.
Inserted by Alex, Rena and family, 63 Main Street, West Kilbride.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission records the following information relative to GEORGE YOUNG: -

Gunner GEORGE YOUNG, (22), Service No. 1134652, 132 (The Glamorgan Yeomanry) Field Regiment - Royal Artillery - died 30th June, 1944 - buried at Orivieto War Cemetery - 1, H, 16 - Italy - son of George Young, M.C., and Janet Young, West Kilbride.

Inscription - YOUR FIGHT IS O'ER - VICTORY WON IN HEAVEN - WE WILL MEET AGAIN MY SON.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Thanks for that, PT.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Moving on now, we come to the BMD from the A&S Herald of 16th January 1970. There are quite a number of Births, so I'll post them in two sections.

BIRTHS

BUCHANAN - On January 2nd 1970, to Dr and Mrs Frederick S Buchanan , 2020 Evansdale Avenue, Toledo, Ohio, USA, a son ( Glenn Stewart ), a brother for Richard and Brian.

CLEGG - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, to James and Ann ( Thomson ), c/o 40 Glenriddet Avenue, Kilbirnie, on January 8 1970, a son ( Colin ). Thanking all in attendance.

COWAN - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on January 6 1970, to Hugh and Myra ( nee Johnstone ), 35 Pollock Crescent, Kilwinning, a daughter; both well. Thanking all in attendance.

CURLETT - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine , on January 7 1970, to Colin and Mae ( Hamilton ), a son ( Anthony James ); both well. Thanking all in attendance.

DERBY - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on December 21 1969, to Ian and Janette ( Walker ), 3 Stobbs Terrace, Kilwinning, a son.

DONOHOE - At Buckreddan Maternity Home, Kilwinning, on January 5 1970, to Jim and Doreen ( nee Wilder ), a daughter; both well.

ERENTZ - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on January 8th 1970, to Andrew and Isabel, 7 Dykesfield Place, Saltcoats, a daughter; both well. Thanking all in attendance.

FLANNIGAN - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on January 12th 1970, to Bill and Margaret ( nee Nichol ), 14 Kilrig Avenue, Kilwinning, a daughter; both well.

GILMOUR - At a nursing home, Essex, to Jim and Mary Ann ( Cannon ), a daughter; both well.

GILMOUR -At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on January 11 1970, to Jim and Senga ( Thomson ), 14 Central Avenue, Kilbirnie, a daughter; both well. Thanking all in attendance.

IRVINE - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on January 12 1970, to John and Annette ( Miller ), 20 Broadlie Drive, Dalry, a daughter. Thanking all in attendance.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Concluding now the Births from the Herald of 16th January 1970.

BIRTHS

JAMIESON - At Buckreddan , Kilwinning, to Jim and Hilda ( nee Bingham ) the gift of a son ( Stephen ); both well. Thanking Dr Forbes and Nursing Staff.

KANE - At Central Hospital, Irvine, on January 10 1970, to Bobby and Margaret ( Hannah ), 17 Craigdene Drive, Stevenston, twin daughters; all well. Thanking all in attendance.

KNOX - At Buckreddan Maternity Home, on January 12, to Freddie and Margaret ( Noble ), 7 Whitecraig Road, Ardrossan, a daughter ; both well. a sister for Robin. Sincere thanks to all in attendance.

LEE - At Buckreddan Maternity Home, Kilwinning, on January 11 1970, to Haldane and Ruby ( Henry ), a son, a brother for Emma and Haldane. Thanking all in attendance.

McNAMARA - At Buckreddan Maternity Home, Kilwinning, on January 11 1970, to Tommy and Rae ( Fleming ), ? (10,18 or 19 ) Pirnmill Road, Saltcoats, a son; both well.

McPHERSON - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on December 31 1969, to Archie and Isabel ( nee Willis ), 27 Kyle Drive, Barassie, Troon, a son ( Archibald Scott ); both well.

McTAGGART _ At Fyfe-Jamieson Maternity Hospital, Forfar, on January 8 1970, to Allan and Janette ( nee Cosh ), 10 Potters Park Crescent, a daughter; both well.

MARRIAGE - At Rushgreen Maternity Hospital, Romford, Essex, on December 31 1969, to Dave and Laura, a daughter, Kathleen-Louise, first great-grandchild of Mrs L Phillip, Broadway, Ardrossan.

MILLAR - At Buckreddan Maternity Home, Kilwinning, on January 6 1970, to Ian and Joan ( nee Parsons ), a daughter; both well.

MORRISON - At Buckreddan Maternity Home, Kilwinning, on January 10 1970,to Hugh and Janette ( Miller ), 13 Townend Street, Dalry, the gift of a son; both well. Thanking all in attendance.

PATERSON - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on January 6 1970, to Hugh and Florence ( Reid ), 10 Wheatley Road, Stevenston, a daughter; both well. A sister for Hugh.

PEDEN - At Buckreddan Maternity Home, Kilwinning, on January 14 1970, to Bill and Mattie ( Gray ), a son; both well. Thanking all in attendance.

SMITH - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on January 7 1970, to Sandy and Rena, 7 Duff Place, Saltcoats, a son , Ian Grainger, a brother for Alan; both well. Thanking all in attendance.

Susan

PS Thanks to Irene for providing the missing entries.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

By contrast, there are only a few Engagements and Marriages in the Herald of 16th January 1970, so I'll post them together.

ENGAGEMENTS

BAIN - FLYNN - The engagement is announced between W A Bain, son of Mrs M Bain and the late Mr Wm Bain, 21 Well Street, West Kilbride, and Ann Flynn, daughter of Mr and Mrs W Flynn, 48 Balfour Street, Whins of Milton, Stirlingshire.

CHESNEY - HALL - Both families have much pleasure in announcing the engagement of Buchan, elder son of Mr and Mrs W Chesney, 23 Langbar Avenue, Glengarnock, to Mary, only daughter of Mr and Mrs W Hall, 18 Watson Terrace, Irvine.

HARVEY - DUFF - Both families have much pleasure in announcing the engagement of Alan, only son of Mr and Mrs A R Harvey, 62 Ivanhoe Drive, Saltcoats, to Linda, elder daughter of Mr and Mrs J W Duff, 31 Mayfield road, Saltcoats.

KERR - POTTS - The engagement is announced between Robert Dunlop Kerr, 3 Glebe Street, Kilwinning, younger son of Mr and Mrs G H Kerr, and Kathryn Anne Potts, 14 Church Street, Kilwinning, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs F B Potts.

WALKER - McKECHAN - The engagement is announced of Bruce Ian, son of Mr Herbert Victor Walker, Pascoe Vale, Melbourne, Australia, to Margaret Smith Boyd, only daughter of the late Mr J McKechan, Stevenston, and Mrs M McKechan, Flat 3, 44 Russell Street, Ivanhoe, 3079. Melbourne.

MARRIAGES

HUTCHESON - AULD -At the North Parish Church, Saltcoats, on January 8 1970, by the Rev Dr Wm Weir, John, younger son of Mr and Mrs R Hutchison, 28 Portencross Road, West Kilbride, to Maureen, only daughter of Mr and Mrs Wm Auld, 47 Fleming Crescent, Saltcoats.[ Note that the different spellings of Hutcheson/Hutchison are as printed. ]

WATSON - HIGHET - At the Old Parish Church, Irvine, on January 10 1970, by the Rev Alec Macara, MA, John Tully, son of Mr Thomas Watson, 24 Corselet Crescent, Currie, Midlothian and the late Mrs M C Watson, to Jessie Miller, daughter of the late Mr James Highet and of Mrs J Highet, 5 Woodlands Avenue, Irvine.

SILVER WEDDINGS

ANDERSON - CHERRY - On January 12 1945, at Bethany Hall, Stevenston, by Mr Andrew Borland, MA, Charles Anderson to Agnes Cherry. Present address : ' Cher-And ' , Burnside Place, Larkhall, Lanarkshire.

HILL - FISHER - At Sannox Congregational Church on January 18 1945, by the Rev A B Wiseman, Charles Stewart Hill to Nancy Fisher . - 22 Woodburn Avenue, Kilwinning.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.