Ardrossan Academy sports and other group photos session 1972-73

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Ardrossan Academy sports and other group photos session 1972-73

Post by down south »

So we move on to session 1972-73, and I'll start with hockey. These two photos appeared in the A&S Herald in November 1972, showing both the first, and unusually also the second eleven:

First eleven:

Ardrossan Academy first XI  Nov 1972.JPG

Back row: Patricia Lumsden; ???; Agnes Wilson; Lillian Montgomery; Alison MacDonald; Fiona Maclean.

Front row: Joan Geddes; Rosemary Paterson; June Halliday; Janet Dunlop; Betty McKay.

Second eleven:

Ardrossan Academy second XI Nov 1972.JPG

Can only name about half of these.

Back row: Elaine Murchie; Sandra McMillan; ???; ???; Susan Dunlop; Marion Dodds ?

Front row: ???; Irene Elder; Margaret Stirton; ???; Karen Cochrane.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardrossan Academy sports and other group photos session 1972-73

Post by down south »

We haven't finished with the hockey teams yet, for there are a couple more photos from this session.

This first one shows the first eleven with a visiting team from Belfast, who were on a short tour taking on Ayrshire schools. They won their other three matches, but the Academy were too good for them and won 2-1. But they threw a party for the visitors afterwards, which was some consolation.

( Note that Belfast Model School is model as in ideal, not a school for models ! which no doubt will be a disappointment to JD... )

Ardrossan Academy hockey team and Irish visitors April 1973.JPG

The two teams are thoroughly mixed in together, so I'll indicate the visitors by BM.

Back row: ???; Sandra McMillan; BM; Margaret Stirton; BM; BM; Agnes Wilson; Rosemary Paterson; BM

Middle row: BM; Joan Geddes; Alison MacDonald; BM; Lillian Montgomery; BM; BM; Joyce Barbour.

Front row: Janet Dunlop; BM; June Halliday; BM; BM; BM; Fiona Maclean.

And then there's also this photo,again of the first eleven, which I've borrowed from the Academy website and which I imagine will have appeared at the end of the year in the school magazine; again, unsurprisingly, the same familiar faces.

Ardrossan Academy hockey first XI session 1972-73.jpg

Back row: Mrs Strachan; Sandra McMillan; Margaret Stirton; Agnes Wilson; Joan Geddes; Rosemary Paterson.

Front row: Lillian Montgomery; Fiona Maclean; Joyce Barbour; June Halliday; Janet Dunlop; Alison MacDonald.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

There are a few others of the sports team pictures on the Academy website for this session where I can name a reasonable proportion of those pictured, so again I've borrowed the ones here.

First , the girls' volleyball team:
Ardrossan Academy girls volleyball team session 1972-73.jpg
Back: Fiona Maclean; Joyce Barbour; Janet Dunlop; Lillian Montgomery.

Front: Alison Macdonald; Alison Goodall; June Halliday.

And here are the boys. From the number present, it seems it would be more accurate to describe this as the volleyball squad.
Ardrossan Academy boys volleyball team session 1972-73.jpg
Back: Lindsay McKinnon; ???; ???; ???; Clive Robb; James Smith; ???; Nelson Lee.

Front: Jimmy Gossman; ???; ???; Ronald Hastings; Stephen Roos ?

Susan
Last edited by down south on Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

I can also manage about half the rugby team.

Ardrossan Academy rugby team session 1972-73.jpg

Back row: Unknown teacher; ???; ???; ???; ???; Stephen Hayton; ???; ???; ???

Front row: Kenneth Aitken; John Lyon; ???; Ronald Hastings; James Smith; ???; Jimmy Gossman; Nelson Lee.

Meanwhile, the names are already there for this photo of the 1973 sports champions.

Ardrossan Academy sports champions 1973.JPG

Elspeth Caskie and Nelson Lee were the senior champions; Mary Arnott and Brian McIntyre the intermediate champions; and junior champions were Shona Kerr and Sam Leitch.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

I promised you a photo of the classics team for this session, and here it is.Once again the Academy retained both Latin and Greek trophies.

Ardrossan Academy classics team session 1972-73.JPG

Back row: Dr Nisbet; Helen MacPherson; Ailsa Wardrop; Alistair Campbell; ???; ???; Sandra Hair; Patricia Lumsden; John Johnston; Elizabeth Meney; ???; Maureen Conway; Elaine Murchie.

Front row: Valerie Wallace; Susan Geddes; Irene Elder; Sheila Curwen; Elizabeth Hendry; ???; ???

The prizewinners were as follows.

In competition for the Greek trophy: Anne Buchanan was first in beginners' Greek, with Margaret Stevenson 3rd and Valerie Wallace awarded a certificate.

Elizabeth Hendry was 2nd in senior Greek verse and won a certificate in senior Greek prose.

In the Latin competition: Gail Pattinson and Morag Skinner were 1st equal in intermediate Latin verse.

In senior Latin verse, Sheila Curwen was 2nd, Irene Elder 3rd, and Sandra Hair and Helen MacPherson received certificates; while Alistair Campbell was also awarded a certificate in senior Latin prose.

In the competition for written translations, Elizabeth Meney in the seniors, and Morag Skinner in intermediate, were both awarded first prize in translation of Latin verse to English, and Sandra Hair and Pat Lumsden won certificates; while Pat Lumsden also got a certificate for translation of Latin prose, as did Morag Skinner and Maureen Conway.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

The young lady seated on the extreme right is Anne Buchanan.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

We have a picture of the duxes for this session, already captioned:

Ardrossan Academy duxes 1973.JPG

And also this picture of a group of boys taking a keen interest in the visit of a helicopter from the Royal Naval Air Service, in October 1972:

Helicopter visit Oct 1972.JPG

Left foreground: unknown. Rest left to right: Robert Tedford; ; ???; Stephen Robertson; ???; Glenn Rodger ( at front ); Douglas Orr ( at rear ); Garry Meek.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

On to matters musical now, and this picture of the senior girls' choir dates from Christmas 1972.

Ardrossan Academy senior girls' choir Christmas 1972.jpg

Back row: Karen Leitch; Ann Frew; Rosemary Paterson; ???; Sarah Mortimer; Gillian Barclay; Jan Mitchell; Beth Macdonald; ??? ( only an eyebrow visible ! ); Fiona Maclean; Joan Geddes; Susan Broadfoot; Marion Dodds; Margaret Stirton; Sandra McMillan; Karen Cochrane; Janice Galloway; Joyce Barbour; Lucy Robertson; ???; Sandra Hair.

Front row: Fiona Davidson; Lesley Cuthill; Annette Brown; Irene Elder; Betty McKay; ???; Eleanor Bartleman; Ailsa Wardrop.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Another choir now, this time a mixed one, who were winners at the Ayrshire Music Festival of 1973. I see they were conducted by a pupil, but there's no indication of which that might be.
Festival choir 1973.jpg
Back row: John Lyon; Brian Jolley; ???

Middle row: Janessa Armstrong; Sandra Hair; Fiona Maclean; Agnes Wilson; Helen MacPherson; Rosemary Paterson.

Front row: Irene Elder; Lucy Robertson; Christine Cairns; Sheena Gordon; ???; Susan Broadfoot; Janice Galloway.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Also winners at the Festival were the two violin and piano trios pictured here.
Ardrossan Academy trios Festival 1973.jpg
The girls at the back won the under-18s event. They are from left to right Susan Young, Sheila McIntyre and Christine Cairns.

And the ones at the front won the open event: Janice Millar, Sheena Gordon, and Alexis Millar.

Finally for session 1972-73, I'll show you the orchestra, who won the Brand Orchestral Trophy with a performance of Mendelssohn's Wedding March and Smetana's " Vltava ". But I'm afraid I can't name more than a few of the participants here.
Ardrossan Academy orchestra session 1972-73.jpg
Back row: none known.

Second row : Fourth from left, possibly Ian McCallum; fifth from left, Kenneth Aitken; seventh, Brian Jolley; tenth, Grant Alexander.

Third row: first on far left, possibly Yvonne Barclay, and second possibly Sheila Partridge; but I have no idea if they were ever in the orchestra. Far right, maybe Susan Young and Christine Cairns; rest unknown.

Fourth ( seated ) row: Sandra Hair; Valerie Gregg; ???; Rosemary Paterson; ???; Alexis Millar; Susan Broadfoot; Janice Millar; Lucy Robertson; Sheila McIntyre; Janice Galloway; Sheena Gordon.

Front row: none known.

Susan
MaureenMo
New Poster
New Poster

Post by MaureenMo »

down south wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 3:14 pm I promised you a photo of the classics team for this session, and here it is.Once again the Academy retained both Latin and Greek trophies.

Ardrossan Academy classics team session 1972-73.JPG

Back row: Dr Nisbet; Helen MacPherson; Ailsa Wardrop; Alistair Campbell; ???; ???; Sandra Hair; Patricia Lumsden; John Johnston; Elizabeth Meney; ???; Maureen Conway; Elaine Murchie.

Front row: Valerie Wallace; Susan Geddes; Irene Elder; Sheila Curwen; Elizabeth Hendry; ???; ???

The prizewinners were as follows.

In competition for the Greek trophy: Anne Buchanan was first in beginners' Greek, with Margaret Stevenson 3rd and Valerie Wallace awarded a certificate.

Elizabeth Hendry was 2nd in senior Greek verse and won a certificate in senior Greek prose.

In the Latin competition: Gail Pattinson and Morag Skinner were 1st equal in intermediate Latin verse.

In senior Latin verse, Sheila Curwen was 2nd, Irene Elder 3rd, and Sandra Hair and Helen MacPherson received certificates; while Alistair Campbell was also awarded a certificate in senior Latin prose.

In the competition for written translations, Elizabeth Meney in the seniors, and Morag Skinner in intermediate, were both awarded first prize in translation of Latin verse to English, and Sandra Hair and Pat Lumsden won certificates; while Pat Lumsden also got a certificate for translation of Latin prose, as did Morag Skinner and Maureen Conway.

Susan
I (Maureen Conway) am to Sandra Hair's right and Gail Pattison is to my right. Loop
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Did Christine Cairns become a professional singer?