St Michaels Kilwinning 1965 photo

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

St Michaels Kilwinning 1965 photo

Post by Hughie »

Possibly “ Year 1A Boys “ at St Michael’s College in Kilwinning, 1965.
Source : Danny Mathieson
Back Row L to R : 1?, 2?, Paul Di Carlo, 4?, 5?, Denis Burns, 7?, 8?, 9?,
Middle Row : Danny Mathieson, Bernard Finnegan, 3?, 4?, Michael Cannon, Eddie Hornby, Bill Irvine, 8?, Brian Moultrie, Jim Loy.
Front Row : Eric Dempsey, 2?, 3?, 4?, Mr McManus, James McGrattan, 7?, 8?, 9?,
Help required with missing names.
Elizabeth
Settling In
Settling In

Re: St Michaels Kilwinning 1965 photo

Post by Elizabeth »

I think the earliest this photograph can be is 1968-69, when this group would be in IVth year (calculated because some of them were in the 1965 IA photo) because it was in IVth year that the forms were rejigged and boys and girls were separated, each being split into two alphabetical groups. This looks like A-M.

I can't identify very many more:

Top row: 3 Edward ? 4 George Kolodziej 5 poss John McLaughlin? 8 Tom Murphy 9 Joseph McLaughlin
Front row: 4 Joseph Durning 9 John Donnelly

This is really a long time ago!
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Elizabeth,

Who is the John Donnelly? I used to think I was unique. Now there are loads of me.

Any idea of the family. It's no-one I know. There was a John Donnelly from Ardrossan in my year; 56-62.

JD.
Elizabeth
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Elizabeth »

Hello John,

John Donnelly (1965-1971) was part Italian - I think his mother was a Cavani. They were from Saltcoats or possibly Ardrossan (that doesn't really reduce the field!).
He was never in my class at school but we were the only two who went from St Michael's on a French/Ayrshire exchange and he was always more on the ball than I was and kept me aware of what was happening, so I have good memories of him. I don't know what happened to him after school.
You could start a collection ...
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

This photo really took me by surprise, and was enough to make me register on this site so I could reply - it was indeed 4th Year, 1968-69.
Here we go, from memory…

Back: Gerry Daly (Troon?), Billy Logue (Beith), Paul Di Carlo (Saltcoats), George Kolodziej (Kilwinning), John “Bonzo” MacGowan (Ardrossan?), Dennis Burns (Ardrossan), Jim Cain (Irvine), Tom Murphy (Stevenston), Michael Kirwan (Largs?)
Middle: Danny Mathieson (Ardrossan), Bernie Finnegan (Ardrossan), Hughie Hunter (Saltcoats), Michael Marshall (Saltcoats), Michael Cannon (Saltcoats), Eddie Hornby (Saltcoats?), Bill Irvine (Saltcoats), Drew Lusk (Irvine?), Brian Moultrie (Saltcoats), Jim Loy (Ardrossan)
Front: Eric Dempsey (Kilbirnie), Gerard Johnston (Irvine?), John Kelly (Saltcoats), me (Stevenston), Mr P McManus, Jim McGrattan (Ardrossan), Francis Cunningham (Saltcoats), Kevin Dorrian (Saltcoats), John Donnelly (Saltcoats).

I’m wary of starting stories but I heard many years ago that both Bernie Finnegan and Hughie Hunter, standing together above, are no longer with us. Has anyone else heard that?

JD
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Paul do Carlo lived in st Margaret's road in Ardrossan and bill Irvine lived in Clyde terrace Ardrossan.

Meg
westendcafe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by westendcafe »

I am the real John Donnelly mentioned above. This is the class photograph of our fourth year at St Michael's. My Mother was a Cavani of West End Cafe fame.

To the other John Donnelly, there are loads of us indeed. A recent search showed up that I share the same birthday with three others of the same name, all unrelated.
"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."
gerv
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by gerv »

[attachment=0]cyclists[1].jpg[/attachment]

Pupils from St Michaels 1961, Is that our very own JD in the picture?
5 from the left

Gerv
Attachments
cyclists[1].jpg
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Even back then I'm sure he was looking to fit in in Holland. :roll: :lol:
Joannepayne
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Joannepayne »

Hello all,
I realise this is a really old thread! Bernard Finnigan was my Uncle (for those who knew him I am his big sister Patricia's youngest daughter). I wondered if there was any way of getting a copy of this photo? Would it be possible to email it to me?
Not sure if this message will even be seen by anyone since the original thread is a long time ago, but thought I would try!
It was really lovely to see it anyway,
Joanne
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

Joannepayne wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:41 pm Hello all,
I realise this is a really old thread! Bernard Finnigan was my Uncle (for those who knew him I am his big sister Patricia's youngest daughter). I wondered if there was any way of getting a copy of this photo? Would it be possible to email it to me?
Not sure if this message will even be seen by anyone since the original thread is a long time ago, but thought I would try!
It was really lovely to see it anyway,
Joanne
Joanne, no worries about it being seen ...
I was in the same year as Bernard, and I didn't know he had a sister, but I wasn't so close to him as some of my classmates. I do remember he was particularly good at maths, which I think he taught, latterly?
Good luck with the image hunt.
Joannepayne
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Joannepayne »

Yes! He went back and taught at St. Michael's! My mum was the oldest and Bernard was the baby of the family. David and John were in between them. Thanks for replying!
Joanne