Farm called 'Dungarvon' near Dalry?

For those researching family in the three towns area.
tomletham
New Poster
New Poster

Farm called 'Dungarvon' near Dalry?

Post by tomletham »

Hi. Can any locals tell me if there is/was a Dungarvon anywhere in the area?

I have a baptism record from ScotlandsPeople of a potential ancestor, as follows:
Other (non Church of Scotland) Church Registers Baptisms CH3/71/1 85 Dalry Associate...
1797 Robert Boyd son to Robert Boyd farmer in Dungarvon was Baptised December 17th.

I'm trying to determine if this baptism record is that of my 3xGreat Grandfather. I've only ever found him in the 1851 Census living in Peaseweep Row, Dalry, and in that Census his place of birth is given as Kilwinning.

I've seen that there is a Dalgarven between Dalry and Kilwinning, and wondered if there is any connection.
Thanks.
Tom.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Farm called 'Dungarvon' near Dalry?

Post by Bruce »

Never heard of a “Dungarvon” in Dalry. It could well be a mis-spelling of what is now "Dalgarven”. And it is indeed midway between Dalry and Kilwinning.

Dalgarven Mill is now a museum of country life. They may have records of previous farmers. Maybe worth dropping them a line.
https://www.dalgarvenmill.org.uk

However, the other address you mention - Peaseweep Row - is familiar - my grandmother lived there, and I remember her talking about when they lived in “The Peesweep”. A row of miners cottages (I think most maps spell it “Peesweep”), I think they were demolished just after the war, and the Blair housing estate is now on the site. They were on what is now Blair Road, a few hundred yards uphill/east of Dalry railway station. They, and the adjacent “Miner’s Rows”, were at one time accommodation for the workers at the nearby Peesweep Pit.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

If your eyesight is good you'll see a "Robt. Boyd" listed in the following link as having paid horse tax while resident at "Dalgarvan (another variation of Dalgarvon/Dalgarven)," Kilwinning, in 1797-1798: -

https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital- ... ume-07/178
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
tomletham
New Poster
New Poster

Post by tomletham »

Big thank you to Bruce and Penny for your extremely helpful responses.
Bruce - I agree, I think Dungarvon/Dalgarven must be one and the same. I will indeed contact the museum. Thanks, too, for the Peesweep info.
Penny - I'd never heard of the Horse Tax documentation, this is great. And the Dalgarven location is there too.
Best wishes,
Tom
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Some information on the 2 locations from the 1855 Name books:

Dalgarven / Dalgarvan
A small village on the turnpike road from Kilwinning to Dalry principally inhabited by the working class. For the greater portion the property of Mr Lang.

Townhead of Dalgarven
A commodious farm steading occupied by John Garvan the property of Mrs [Patrick] Greenbank Dalry

Dalgarven Mills (Corn)
These comprise dwelling houses Corn, Flour and Saw Mills Occupied by James King the property of Capt. Blair Blair House

Dalgarven Cottage
A neat little villa occupied by Mr Donaldson, the property of William Lang Esqr. Monkcastle

https://maps.nls.uk/view/74930539

Peesweep Row [or Peeseweep]
A row of small dwelling houses occupied by the workmen employed at the Blair Iron Works. The property of the Company.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/74926824
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
tomletham
New Poster
New Poster

Post by tomletham »

Thanks. I juts love old maps and what they can tell us.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I have just remembered one of my gran’s stories - the “Turned Row”.

There were various “Miner’s Rows” in the Peesweep - small terraced cottages, with either 1 or 2 rooms, and outside toilets. http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/133.html

There was “Peesweep Row”, “Furnace Row”, “New Single Row”, “Double Row”, “Stoopshill Row”, and the “Turned Row”.

The “Turned Row” faced the road that ran from the railway station to the “Big House”. The story goes that the landed gentry were embarrassed by the sights that they saw, and the curious glances, when they and their guests were travelling from the station to the “Big House”.

So they had the row of cottages “turned” - the doors and windows facing the road were bricked up, and the entry to the cottages was from the other side.
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

Bruce wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:35 pm
The “Turned Row” faced the road that ran from the railway station to the “Big House”. The story goes that the landed gentry were embarrassed by the sights that they saw, and the curious glances, when they and their guests were travelling from the station to the “Big House”.

So they had the row of cottages “turned” - the doors and windows facing the road were bricked up, and the entry to the cottages was from the other side.
I heard exactly the same explanation from a couple who had taken on an 18thcentury cottage in a wee village near us, and who wondered why there were no road-facing windows in their cottage, or any other cottage in the main village street.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Bruce wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:35 pm

Another school day... Would never have known that.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

More info on the cottages, and the conditions, on http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/133.html

eg
Furnace Row. - The Furnace Row consists of 23 two-apartment houses built of stone. The kitchen measures approximately 12 feet by 11 feet and the room 11 feet by 9 feet. The rent is 6s. per month. The brick-tiled floors are very uneven ,and cracked, and the floor underneath the beds is the bare earth. There are four dry-closets for this row, and two ash-pits, built in front of the houses and in close proximity to the doors of the houses. There are no washing-houses nor coal-houses, and the coals are kept below the beds. The ash-pits are filthy and evil smelling here. In all the rows in this place the provision of water is inadequate. There is in this case only one well supplied for two rows. The roadway is unpaved and very dirty.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Bruce wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:39 am More info on the cottages, and the conditions, on http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/133.html

eg
Furnace Row. - The Furnace Row consists of 23 two-apartment houses built of stone. The kitchen measures approximately 12 feet by 11 feet and the room 11 feet by 9 feet. The rent is 6s. per month. The brick-tiled floors are very uneven ,and cracked, and the floor underneath the beds is the bare earth. There are four dry-closets for this row, and two ash-pits, built in front of the houses and in close proximity to the doors of the houses. There are no washing-houses nor coal-houses, and the coals are kept below the beds. The ash-pits are filthy and evil smelling here. In all the rows in this place the provision of water is inadequate. There is in this case only one well supplied for two rows. The roadway is unpaved and very dirty.
To graft down the mines all day and to go home to that... I need to stop moaning :think:

Social history at its best.
Good post, Bruce.
jimmy mccreadie

Post by jimmy mccreadie »

My father was born at MacDonald's / McDonald's Row in Dalry. Is anyone able to direct me to a map which shows it's location please?