Sundays ‘back in the day’

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Meg,
When I was three everything was closed in Scotland on a Sunday. Sunday wiz fir guid claes and church and walks. Unless as on another topic you were a bonafida traveller. :lol:
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Angus - me too. Sundays were a year long when we were young - and the TV was rubbish. My dad always listened to Sing Something Simple which was on at 7.30 on the radio, that was the signal for me to go out - heard the theme tune a year or so back and it catapulted me back 50 years.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

As children our Sunday mornings were spent in the Landsborough Church Sunday School then to church. In the afternoon we had to go and visit our aunts and uncles and cousins in Border Avenue.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sundays ‘back in the day’

Post by Meg »

I split this from the pictures topic, as I thought it would be interesting to read what your Sunday was like back in the day.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Getting up on a Sunday morning and waiting for the telly to start at 9.25am, once you'd heard 100 pipers you knew the cartoons would be starting. Then Fitbaw, fitbaw, fitbaw, we play all day. There was a TV program called on the move (I think it was for people with learning difficulties) when that came on it was time for the bath. Then as a family we would watch That's Life. Then bed.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Back in my day it was the Monkey walk Sunday night still laugh thinking about it ..
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Twenty aside football at St.Michael's reduced when the boozer opened at noon.Beef olives for dinner...then listened to pop chart countdown on radio?? To round it off the brilliant Onedin Line on tv.

My best pal always had to go to chapel Sunday morning as his parents were strict .Don't think he liked it but he went.
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

Sent to Bethany hall with my wee sister all dolled up on our Sunday best home changed and out to run about in the street no tv in my house till I was 9 years old gran couldn’t afford it once uncle Alex joined the navy he rented one for his mum
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

For us it was Sunday School in the church hall at St. Johns on Barr Street and afterwards a walk to the wee fish and chip shop in Barr Place. We always got two huge pickled onions from Ida(?), 1d for each and then onto the bus back home! I remember one Sunday a stranger walking into the hall and whispering something to the man taking the wee service. He told everyone that we all had to go home immediately as Sir Winston Churchill had passed away.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

For me it was Church at St John’s with my Mum and her two sisters. Don’t remember ever catching a bus to or from Church no matter what the weather but that may be an age thing. Also don’t think we would have walked down Dalry road if there was snow on the ground so maybe I do have a bad memory.🤔
After lunch we went for a walk which sometimes took in a visit to the cemetery .
As I got older my friend and I often walked to Saltcoats and took a wee boat ride from Saltcoats harbour.
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

Going to the pub during the day in early/mid summer with pals, getting half pie eyed then going hame and after dinner falling asleep on my bed. Waking up, checking my watch, realising it was 8.30 and panicking because I thought I'd slept in for work on the Monday morning. Turns out it was only 8.30pm Sunday evening. Must have happened at least a couple of times. :lol:
Last edited by Kittywake on Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

Our Sunday was similar to some others. Dressed up in Sunday best including kilts with the full rig out. Walk down Dalry Road Brae from Rowanside terrace listening to calls of Kiltie, Kiltie cauld bum. Sunday school at the Park Church on Glasgow St. No fitba allowed. We used to go for a walk Sunday afternoon with a tennis ball squeezed tight in my pocket so mother wouldnt notice an we could play a quick game somewhere out of sight . Usually ended up in the North Shore getting my Sunday shoes soaked. When I got hame the white salt on the shoes telt mother where I had been and what I had been up to. A good tongue lashing followed.